Sneaky Pete

Lizardking

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Unknown Sneaky Pete

I recieved this unknown Sneaky Pete on 7/30. I was told that it was purchased in 1968-1969, at a Pool Hall in West Palm Beach Florida (Purdy Lane Pub?). The Pool Cue appears to be well made. It is straight together and apart. Just looking for some information on it. Enjoy

Cheers,
Tony

DSC03944.jpg

DSC03945.jpg

DSC03946.jpg

DSC03948.jpg

IMG_1659.jpg

Last edited:

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looks like a Kirsenbrock

I bought 10 of them in Las angeles from a fella named Lee

I sold them for $500 each way backwhen,today they
would be worth twice that

Then again,all sneaky petes look alike
and I could be wrong

Best wishes
Dean

HQueen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rocky Tillis maybe? Of course I honestly don’t know, just threw that out because he was a Florida cuemaker close to the pool hall it was purchased at.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Looks like a Kirsenbrock

and I could be wrong

Best wishes
Dean
Do DPK's have center holes in their joint screws?
Threaded rubber bumper ?

cue fix

Will "MONSOON" & SEARING!
Silver Member
Rocky Tillis maybe? Of course I honestly don’t know, just threw that out because he was a Florida cuemaker close to the pool hall it was purchased at.

I believe Rocky only used a 5/16X18 joint pin.

$TAKE HOR$E

champagne - campaign
Silver Member
Looks like a Kirsenbrock

and I could be wrong

Best wishes
Dean
If it’s a Kersenbrock it’s a one of a kind, and if the OP’s dates are correct it all but cancels it out. The 3/8x10 pin and brown phenolic joint is like the small block Chevy of cues...they’re everywhere.

It’s hard to say for sure and could be a big name cuemaker or a home built hobby cue from a good repairman or the likes. I had a Fry cue that looked identical from the points up and also had a Scruggs with the longer black buttcap. An early Fry / Scruggs collaboration is possible, or something along those lines. What ever it is, it’s probably a solid player.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A sneaky can be very difficult to ID.

I have no idea on this one but it looks like a cool cue.

I posted one a few years ago and was lucky that a maker here said it was one of his.

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was just joking around
i did have a bucket load of Kirsenbrock sneaky pete but i can't tell 1 sneaky from another and doubt if anyone else could either

That was my point in a supposed to be funny way

Lizardking

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was just joking around
i did have a bucket load of Kirsenbrock sneaky pete but i can't tell 1 sneaky from another and doubt if anyone else could either

That was my point in a supposed to be funny way

You’re like super funny and you can quit your day job at anytime

Last edited:

Bumlak

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just spitballing at this one, but I don't THINK 3/8-10" go back quite that far do they? I had thought that they came along in the mid 1970's for some reason. Bill Stroud could probably narrow that time frame down significantly.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
Just spitballing at this one, but I don't THINK 3/8-10" go back quite that far do they? I had thought that they came along in the mid 1970's for some reason. Bill Stroud could probably narrow that time frame down significantly.

I had a 1968 cue with a 3/8-10, but it looked very different from this one.

Bumlak

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had a 1968 cue with a 3/8-10, but it looked very different from this one.

I've heard Bill Stroud say that he invented the 3/8-10 pin, however, I never heard a timeline or the story surrounding it. I've never heard of any uses other than pool cues for that thread pitch and size.

Lizardking

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't believe he was doing that. You gotta understand Dean. :smile:

I think making a statement like he did on 7/30/2018, then waiting fours days (08/03/2018) before he admits that he was merely joking has a degree of mis-information. My initial post asks for info, not jokes. I will admit, I’m a novice at this and I have a lot of respect for the knowledge base here. To throw out incorrect information purposefully is irresponsible.

Bumlak

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've never known Dean to be anything but 101% upfront and honest with a wicked sense of humor. But that wasn't the point of your thread.

It's hard to really get a true gauge on a sneaky. The hole (pilot) at the top of the 3/8-10 is really interesting. If I were going to do it, I would start with 3/8-10 rod, drill it and then grind the nose round. The time it takes to do something like that certainly would seem to put the cue in the realm of a pretty competent and confident maker. Oddly enough, the cue looks familiar for some reason. The joint and shaft collars are certainly the older color of natural phenolic.

desi2960

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And on top of all that

Very nice cue i would love to own.

But it ain't a sneaky

Ssonerai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
But it ain't a sneaky

Help me out here since i make (hobby basis) very basic full splice cues - what is the maximum embellishment i can add and still sling around the term "Sneaky" or "Sneaky Pete"?

Does a white butt collar rule it out?
Butt side ferule at the joint so long as none on the shaft?

Apparently if it includes ferules on both sides of joint and a Butt collar, it would be incorrect? Or did i miss something else?

Can you call the above cue a "Sneakly Pete style" cue?

This is not intended to be snarky, i just make cues, don't want to use wrong terminology.

smt