Gold Crown IV - How do I get GC Rails Recalibrated in Italy?

91design

Registered
Hi all,
I am thinking about replacing the cushions on my Gold Crown IV in the next months and having the rails extended and recalibrated.

I have probably read every topic on this forum concerning the issue, and I have come to the conclusion that it is not a job I can do alone, I do not have the necessary knowledge, experience and tools; I therefore ask you an honest opinion on how you would behave in my place.
Unfortunately, here in Italy I do not know anyone who knows how to complete the job the right way ... can you direct me in the right direction?
Mark and/or Glen do you trust anyone here in Italy that could perform the task at the state of art?
Thank you all

ShortBusRuss

Short Bus Russ - C Player
Silver Member
I just had a lengthy Facebook chat with Glenn about this very subject.. Glenn said the Gold Crown IV takes a K55 Artemis Intercontinental rail (or Superspeeds if you wanna go that route...)

I suggested showing my local mechanic pictures of the proper subrail extension, and Glenn said that was a good idea, and might end up working out.

Now, I would assume that anyone who has done work on tables would be able to do this work as long as they are shown pictures of what you are expecting.. The actual subrail extension does not look overly complicated as long as you are retaining the natural Gold Crown pocket angle. It's only when you want the pocket angle manipulated to be closer to Diamond specs that things start to get a little dicey.

In the end, you are in the same boat as I. You're likely gonna have to try to find the guy with the best reputation, and roll the dice.

If you Google "Diamondizing a Gold Crown III, you get what you pay for", you'll find the thread where Glen took pictures of the entire process, and if your mechanic is capable at all, he oughta be able to figure it out...

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi all,
I am thinking about replacing the cushions on my Gold Crown IV in the next months and having the rails extended and recalibrated.

I have probably read every topic on this forum concerning the issue, and I have come to the conclusion that it is not a job I can do alone, I do not have the necessary knowledge, experience and tools; I therefore ask you an honest opinion on how you would behave in my place.
Unfortunately, here in Italy I do not know anyone who knows how to complete the job the right way ... can you direct me in the right direction?
Mark and/or Glen do you trust anyone here in Italy that could perform the task at the state of art?
Thank you all

It’s my understanding that the GC4 has the newer style K55 cushions and don’t need recalibration. As for the rail extension, JZMechanix has pics on his web site that’s shows the rail extensions.

ROB.M

:)
Silver Member
Italy

I have a friend in Italy that works on the gold crowns, if you search the pool forums over there you’ll find him.
I’ll forward a link to this post to him. Let me tell him know that you are interested. Give him a call or look him up on WhatsApp. +39 389 424 0348

Rob.M

Last edited:

ShortBusRuss

Short Bus Russ - C Player
Silver Member
I have a friend in Italy that works on the gold crowns, if you search the pool forums over there you’ll find him.
I’ll let me know you are interested. Give him a call or look him up on WhatsApp. +39 389 424 0348

Rob.M

Do you know any good mechanics in Germany?

Russ

91design

Registered
I just had a lengthy Facebook chat with Glenn about this very subject.. Glenn said the Gold Crown IV takes a K55 Artemis Intercontinental rail (or Superspeeds if you wanna go that route...)
If you Google "Diamondizing a Gold Crown III, you get what you pay for", you'll find the thread where Glen took pictures of the entire process, and if your mechanic is capable at all, he oughta be able to figure it out...

This was my initial intention, but the more I read the more I realized that without the exact specifications and without the right tools to correct and recalibrate the rails(because of inconsistency of Brunswick manufacturing), the work would not have been what I wanted.

It’s my understanding that the GC4 has the newer style K55 cushions and don’t need recalibration. As for the rail extension, JZMechanix has pics on his web site that’s shows the rail extensions.

Yeah I know that the GC4 is fully compatible with the Superspeed Cushions, nonetheless Glen and Mark Gregory pointed out that for the best playabily the subrails needed calibration...anyway I'll take a look at JZ website, thank you for the hint:thumbup:

I’ll let me know you are interested. Give him a call or look him up on WhatsApp. +39 389 424 0348

Rob.M

I've posted the same question on the main Italian billiard forum:thumbup: I'll contact him on whatsapp at the end of August, I don't like bothering people durin summer, maybe he's on vacation right now:grin-square: