veneer suppliers and color choices

EddySJ

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello everyone,
I am looking to find all of the resources available for veneer vendors that are used in cue making.
I have found Atlas, Prather, and one other vendor with pictures of their colors on line. I vaguely remember an AZ Member posting that they had veneers for sale somewhere a while back. A basic veneer search did not proove very productive, as a lot of choices were available.

I am looking to desing a new cue and want to get the colors and names correct to clearly define what I want to the cuemaker (whoever that may be whether now or in future cue projects).

Obviously, the easiest way to know would be to get that information directly from the cue maker I opt for.
However, I would like to at least find all available choices before I choose the cuemaker.

Do any of the cuemakers out there make their own custom dyed veneers?

Any help/guidance is greatly appreciated.
I will also continue to do specific searches here on the forum.

Have a great one,
Jeremy

Last edited:

scdiveteam

Rick Geschrey
Silver Member
Jeremy,

El Beau sells veneers and his selection is large.

I like using his thin veneer called .030 but it is actually around .024. I use this thinner stuff on my five point veneered cue and it gives me the look I want in the point size and bottom width.

Just PM him. Here is a thread he had some time back:

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=250133

Rick

Last edited:

rhncue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are a number of places to acquire veneers but ELBeau is whom most builders deal with I believe. He has at least 40 colors and shades and they are sizes that, the way I glue up veneer stacks, gives me the most usable with the least wastage. Very easy to deal with.

Dick

EddySJ

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks...

Thanks for the posts so far. It is nice to see willingness to help out with small details.

I will continue to dig deeper and hit some specific searches now.

:thumbup:

ELBeau

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the plug, Rick and Dick. Jeremy (OP) got in touch with me. Looks like the builders he's considering use my veneers so they should be well-suited to build what he wants.

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
One of the members, El Beau makes and sells veneers.
I would say that a large majority of the makers here get their veneers from him.

Good quality etc.

Edit, how the heck did you beat me to that one? Funny that i would have been the 3rd post and everyone dove in.
No wonder that I also lose out on all the good deals here.

Last edited:

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
thickness

Thanks for the plug, Rick and Dick. Jeremy (OP) got in touch with me. Looks like the builders he's considering use my veneers so they should be well-suited to build what he wants.

hi what are the thickness of the veneers
what is the thinest you can go.
Thank you.
mike

ELBeau

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi Mike,
The most recent veneer seems to be trending even thinner, though thickness varies by a few thou as they cut/peel it from the log. My regular is around 30 thou and the thin is about 20 thou. I've had some down to almost 18 thou.

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
veneer

hi elbeau
my first rodeo on veneers be my first time buying veneer.

the 0.020 would be what i want like to start out with a small order .
different colors can you put somthing together for me.

I have heard of veneers bleeding with diffferent clear coats.
is there any clear coats i need to stay away with your veneers.

MMike

ELBeau

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not aware of any clear coat issues, but gluing up the veneers needs to be monitored. With some colors the dye may be reactivated and there's some dye in the glue squeeze-out. It is a good practice to seal the veneer before gluing with Minwax Wood Hardener or a thinned epoxy like West.
Please register on my http://www.CueVeneer.com and send me an email through the site. I have a $50 minimum and the veneer is $6.75/SF. Let me know your budget and I'll put something together for you.

~Beau

EddySJ

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks again...glad for the posts.

Thanks again to all those who posted. I am glad to see that some business was taken care of too... Not that it wouldn't have anyway but still nice to see.

El Beau, was the Steel Blue ever called Cadet Blue?
Dick, do you have some pics of your veneered cues? I didn't see any on your site today...

Jeremy

Last edited:

rhncue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks again to all those who posted. I am glad to see that some business was taken care of too... Not that it wouldn't have anyway but still nice to see.

El Beau, was the Steel Blue ever called Cadet Blue?
Dick, do you have some pics of your veneered cues? I didn't see any on your site today...

Jeremy

A few:

DSC_0002-27.jpg

DSC_0001-21.jpg

DSC_0003-7.jpg

DSC_0003-5.jpg

DSC_0002-31.jpg

DSC_0006-4.jpg

DSC_0004-10.jpg

I often take pictures during construction but seldom have completed pictures. I could load some from my camera editing program but I don't have the time. These are some from photo bucket that I had transferred in the past.

Dick

EddySJ

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice Work...

Very nice point work Dick.

I remember the cue with the purple heart handle that you posted inside a DZ cue review from Josh I believe. He had a cue similar to it with Cadet Blue in the veneer stack. Both Cues looked really nice.

Jeremy

Last edited:

ELBeau

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi Jeremy,
I don't make cadet blue. Steel blue is the closest any of my veneer colors get to it.

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
veneer

I'm not aware of any clear coat issues, but gluing up the veneers needs to be monitored. With some colors the dye may be reactivated and there's some dye in the glue squeeze-out. It is a good practice to seal the veneer before gluing with Minwax Wood Hardener or a thinned epoxy like West.
Please register on my http://www.CueVeneer.com and send me an email through the site. I have a $50 minimum and the veneer is $6.75/SF. Let me know your budget and I'll put something together for you.

~Beau

Hi beau
bleeding problem not your veneers.
Years ago I was told that some veneers bleed and to be careful of which ones to buy. I had to ask , no offense to any of your products
I will pm you thank you.
MMike