Pool's 15 most influential people/brands list

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
Dr. Dave should be somewhere in the top half of that list. Few people have had such a widespread impact on the game of pool. He accumulated (and/or developed) comprehensive and accurate knowledge of all things pool (just about literally, not figuratively) and is single handedly responsible for the greatest increases of general knowledge and skill and shortened learning curves among players in the history of the sport. There are few in pool that haven't learned at least something as a result of him (whether directly or from somebody else that got it from Dr. Dave), few that haven't passed on information they learned from him to someone else and/or referred somebody to his site, and almost nobody that hasn't heard of him. You would be hard pressed to find a bigger or wider influence in pool that has had more impact.

markjames

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
this list is stupider than jupiter��������☠️��

i apologize for making a rash and classless
comment with no dignity, you are right we should
move beyond childish name calling and planetary comparisons.

i would like to say that i disagree with
your process, choice of people voting,
and results in this list. jason shaw?

keep trying and better luck next year!

Last edited:

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What if it turned out there was no actual voting committee and all those people were name-dropped to make it look official by someone who just put up a fraudulent website.

Wonder if Mike Howerton would like to clarify his involvement in the process.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I don't have that big a problem with this list, especially when I see AZB near the top. They got that one right. If you're talking about pool/snooker/billiard players then Ronnie O'Sullivan must be on the list ahead of the other guys. I've never heard of Sharivari until just now. I would agree that Diamond Billiards also belongs on here.

Supr Charged

Supr Charged Agency
Gold Member
The only possible explanation for the omission of Diamond Billiards, which belongs in your top five based on worldwide influence is that those who have judged the case are absolutely clueless abut who the movers and shakers in worldwide pool are.

Show some class and dignity, please? Labeling people who have worked 20-30 years in the industry as "clueless" is uncalled for?

You keep going on and on about Diamond, and YES - they are freaking awesome!! BUT, they have not had a big influence on pool's growth in 2020. I don't even see how a table manufaturer can have an influence on pool at ALL...

Anyways, it's allowed to disagree, but keep it polite :thumbup:

(oh, and it's not my "poll". It's a list created by a select group of people from across the pool industry who have come together to vote on who they believe are the biggest influencers in pool in 2020)

Last edited:

Supr Charged

Supr Charged Agency
Gold Member
"What if it turned out there was no actual voting committee and all those people were name-dropped to make it look official by someone who just put up a fraudulent website. ..."

Yea, and then most of the winners and voters went on to share on social media and the owner of AZB made an feature article about the list. :wink:

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't have that big a problem with this list, especially when I see AZB near the top. They got that one right. If you're talking about pool/snooker/billiard players then Ronnie O'Sullivan must be on the list ahead of the other guys. I've never heard of Sharivari until just now. I would agree that Diamond Billiards also belongs on here.
Yeah, to see Shavari on there and not our Dr. Dave, is a bit of an insult / clear sign of ignorance!

Supr Charged

Supr Charged Agency
Gold Member
Dr. Dave should be somewhere in the top half of that list. Few people have had such a widespread impact on the game of pool. He accumulated (and/or developed) comprehensive and accurate knowledge of all things pool (just about literally, not figuratively) and is single handedly responsible for the greatest increases of general knowledge and skill and shortened learning curves among players in the history of the sport. There are few in pool that haven't learned at least something as a result of him (whether directly or from somebody else that got it from Dr. Dave), few that haven't passed on information they learned from him to someone else and/or referred somebody to his site, and almost nobody that hasn't heard of him. You would be hard pressed to find a bigger or wider influence in pool that has had more impact.

DrDave is awesome and was definitely on the full list of candidates.

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
DrDave is awesome and was definitely on the full list of candidates.

You would be hard pressed to find any person or entity on that list that has had an impact on more people in pool, or a bigger impact on pool in general and on net, this year or the last few years, than Dr. Dave. Leaving him off the list showed the complete ignorance of those who voted. He would be at or very near the top of any legitimate list done by anyone who was competent.

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just making sure I understand the voting committee is...

1) Mike Howerton
2) Ariel Roy Francisco
3) Emily Frazer
4) Mike Panozzo
5) Ed Liddawi
6) Ralf Souqet
7) Rollie Williams
8) Per Hagen
9) Thorsten Hohmann
10) Shane Tyree
11) Jerry Forsyth
12) Justin Mason

My gut tells me only 1-3 of these people actually participated in this process and the rest were name dropped. If I'm wrong, the industry is small enough that it's a fairly easily verified/debunked claim.

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
I say I just love lists...they give us so much to disagree with. :thumbup:

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You would be hard pressed to find any person or entity on that list that has had an impact on more people in pool, or a bigger impact on pool in general and on net, this year or the last few years, than Dr. Dave. Leaving him off the list showed the complete ignorance of those who voted. He would be at or very near the top of any legitimate list done by anyone who was competent.
As I said earlier, agreed. If Dr Dave was indeed on the list of candidates to choose from and was passed over for some who were chosen on this list, it pretty much tells you all you need to know about those allowed to vote - no disrespect to Shavari.

No one I’m aware of has done more to spread online FREE knowledge to improve their own game and to grow the game than Dr Dave has.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
"What if it turned out there was no actual voting committee and all those people were name-dropped to make it look official by someone who just put up a fraudulent website. ..."

Yea, and then most of the winners and voters went on to share on social media and the owner of AZB made an feature article about the list. :wink:
And to make this reply a little clearer, I did not write the quote at the top even though the response from Per appears to imply that I did. Quoting can be a tricky proposition.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
You keep going on and on about Diamond, and YES - they are freaking awesome!! BUT, they have not had a big influence on pool's growth in 2020.

Actually, it can be easily argued that Diamond produced the only event having an elite, internationally diverse field, in 2020. We'll just agree to disagree.

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just making sure I understand the voting committee is...

1) Mike Howerton

2) Ariel Roy Francisco

3) Emily Frazer

4) Mike Panozzo

5) Ed Liddawi

6) Ralf Souqet

7) Rollie Williams

8) Per Hagen

9) Thorsten Hohmann

10) Shane Tyree

11) Jerry Forsyth

12) Justin Mason

My gut tells me only 1-3 of these people actually participated in this process and the rest were name dropped. If I'm wrong, the industry is small enough that it's a fairly easily verified/debunked claim.

I’ll take back my insinuation of wrong doing and offer a heartfelt apology to Per and the others that participated in the process. The committee looked so diverse as to seem implausible. But I’ll take this as evidence enough to quell my doubts.

c76a41378185055889a487a843e4c460.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well yrs ago I posted the Venom was going to be the next big thing in pool and make pool cool , I got laughed at that day to say the least , number 3 on the list ha ha

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Well yrs ago I posted the Venom was going to be the next big thing in pool and make pool cool , I got laughed at that day to say the least , number 3 on the list ha ha

You been venomdicated! :wink: But seriously, good call and you were dead on.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
It tells me that when it comes to cues, it's Predator and Predator. As a brand, they are dominating the industry.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Show some class and dignity, please?

FYI you are talking to the classiest, most respected and possibly most intelligent person on AZ Billiards. He's appalled at such a grievous oversight.
For you to discount Diamond's contribution and not admit your oversight taints your selections. SJM should be on your panel.

Reactions: sjm