The Music City Open

Attachments

• MusicCityOpenJanuary09.gif
    MusicCityOpenJanuary09.gif
    69.3 KB · Views: 539

muttley76

"Time to GET BUSY...."
Silver Member
Been a great event every time I have gone. Wish I could make it this year, but no one will be disappointed that goes, I promise.

Hambone

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'll definatly be there Sat. night Kevin. If I see you I'll be sure to introduce myself.

For anyone thinking of going and just sweating a few matches, Sat. night cant be beat. The players are pretty deep in the brackets by then, plus you
get to see the midnight madness tournament. I ussually dont leave till around 4 or 5 A.M.

Ktown D

Neverwuzzz
Silver Member
I wish I could make it but with it being the week before Derby it kinda makes it tight. My buddy Steve McDonald is the TD for this tournament and he is a first rate guy and director. When you guys see him, thank him for all the work he is putting in to make this event go off as well as it does.

kevin s

Tennessee
Silver Member
Hambone said:
I'll definatly be there Sat. night Kevin. If I see you I'll be sure to introduce myself.

For anyone thinking of going and just sweating a few matches, Sat. night cant be beat. The players are pretty deep in the brackets by then, plus you
get to see the midnight madness tournament. I ussually dont leave till around 4 or 5 A.M.
Sounds good. I have been going to this tourney off and on for 20 years. I always enjoy it!

Mike Templeton

Confidence........
Silver Member
kevin s said:
Sounds good. I have been going to this tourney off and on for 20 years. I always enjoy it!
Me too, Kev. When I first started attending (the way early 90's), the TD was Dick Gayden, and all the champions showed up. It was kinda like the Derby in that road players and champions both made appearances.

A bunch of us even got together once while the Music City was going on and attended Minnesota Fats' funeral. He died in Nashville while we were at the event in 1996 I believe.

I always know it will be freezing cold there too, and it can be a long walk from the car to the door at JOBs.

For many years, this and the US Open were the premiere events in pool.

Mike

Ktown D

Neverwuzzz
Silver Member
Mike Templeton said:
A bunch of us even got together once while the Music City was going on and attended Minnesota Fats' funeral. He died in Nashville while we were at the event in 1996 I believe.

Mike
Yeah, I think it was 96. We were all standing in the middle of the room by the bar table when they came over the PA and announced it. The whole room went silent. I remember I was watching and sweating a playoff game, the 49'ers playing the Cowboys IIRC. Weird how you remember things like that.

Hambone

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The first Music City Open I went to was around that time. It could have been either a year before or after though. I remember seeing Archer,Varner,
Martinez,and a bunch of other players at the time I had only read about.
I remember seeing Charlie Brinson trying to talk Johnny Archer into a race to 3 for a grand. Johnny said make it 11 or 13, because he did'nt want to "get shit out on". Charlie replied "you might shit out on me too, if I win a race to 11 they'll be talking in Kentucky tommorrow about how Charlie beat Archer in a race to 11". If I win a race to 3 all you'll hear is Charlie shit out on Archer.
Funny as hell at the time.

Mike Templeton

Confidence........
Silver Member
It's funny you should mention Charlie Brinson. I was standing around the Music City that same year with the South Carolina faithful that came, which included Don Stevens, Jimmy Hodges, myself and several others.

Charlie Brinson walks up, and Don Stevens asks, "Hey Charlie. Where are you staying?"

Charlie replied, "Staying? Damn Don, it's only a 5 day tournament."

We all fell out laughing. That was typical Charlie.

Mike