Joss Cues - Custom or Production

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've been looking at Joss Cues lately. On their website they have a link that says Available Custom Cues and a link that says Handmade Cues.

I thought Custom Cues were made by hand? And if so, are the cues in the Available Custom Cues link production cues?

Whats the story with Joss anyway? Does Dan Janes make all his cues by hand or are some made by machines?

AND PLEASE.......keep the insults and stupid stuff out of this thread. I want some serious replies. If you are going to make an insulting, stupid comment just refrain from doing so.

r/Mike

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've been looking at Joss Cues lately. On their website they have a link that says Available Custom Cues and a link that says Handmade Cues.

I thought Custom Cues were made by hand? And if so, are the cues in the Available Custom Cues link production cues?

Whats the story with Joss anyway? Does Dan Janes make all his cues by hand or are some made by machines?

AND PLEASE.......keep the insults and stupid stuff out of this thread. I want some serious replies. If you are going to make an insulting, stupid comment just refrain from doing so.

r/Mike

I would do a search on Joss custom cues. Dan Janes made a cue for one of our AZers here and the quality was terrible, I mean terrible.

I think Josh was the buyer, and I would recommend reading that entire thread.

If I wanted a Joss cue, I would look on the secondary market.

If this isnt what you wanted to hear, Im sorry. Joss today sure as hell isnt the Joss of old IMO.

Best of rolls,

Ken

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

r/Mike

I would do a search on Joss custom cues. Dan Janes made a cue for one of our AZers here and the quality was terrible, I mean terrible.

I think Josh was the buyer, and I would recommend reading that entire thread. (Found thread http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=344750&highlight=Joss)

If I wanted a Joss cue, I would look on the secondary market.

If this isnt what you wanted to hear, Im sorry. Joss today sure as hell isnt the Joss of old IMO.

Best of rolls,

Ken

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

r/Mike

Define "made by hands" all cues are made by machines, so that's not a way to judge quality. The care taken and the knowledge by the person or persons making the cue is the important bit.
Joss makes production cues to a very high standard amd they also make custom cues. There was a long thread about a year ago about a Joss custom cue, not being all ot should. But it did get rectified and I'm sure Joss custom cues are of high quality.

Last edited:

tduncan

Bet something...
Silver Member
He made a custom for me a couple years ago & I couldn't
Be happier with it. Sharp points, Delrin butt plate & lots of ivory. Old school ringwork. Everything I wanted.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

r/Mike

Hi Mike
When it comes to Joss cues. Dan Janes and his family cover the rainbow when it comes to Cue construction.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dan Janes is a HOF cue maker.

Call him.

Talk to him.

Try to find a more knowledgeable or capable cue maker.

Much of which you find in leading cues today was developed by him.

He still makes custom cues. Always has, They have been undervalued IMHO.

DJSTEVEZ

Professor of Human Moves
Silver Member
I've been looking at Joss Cues lately. On their website they have a link that says Available Custom Cues and a link that says Handmade Cues. I thought Custom Cues were made by hand? And if so, are the cues in the Available Custom Cues link production cues?
AND PLEASE.......keep the insults and stupid stuff out of this thread. I want some serious replies. If you are going to make an insulting, stupid comment just refrain from doing so. r/Mike

Hi Mike,

As you may have read from a recent post of mine, I just ordered a cue from Dan Janes of Joss.

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=428987&highlight=joss

It's only my 2 cents, and maybe only worth that much, but I thought the same thing when I saw his website (custom vs. handmade). My take away is this, the

customs are his high-end production cues that he keeps in stock, ready for order. His "handmade" cues are super high end cues in their level of detail work and

materials. I'm guessing he has a super limited amount on hand at any one time or they're made to order only.

I read the thread where there was an issue last year with an AZBer who ordered made-to-order cue from Joss. I saw the pictures as well. Unfortunate, but in the

end, Dan made it right. His reputation is excellent and has been since I started playing the game seriously in 1988.

It'll cost you nothing to pick up the phone and give Dan a call. Based on his reputation and my experience with him, you'll be glad you did.

Let us know how it turns out. Best, -Z-

Last edited:

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
rather than ask us
why dont you just call joss cues???
i still think you should take up bowling

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Its the weekend. I don't like to bother people on the weekends. However, I have fired off an email to them.

r/Mike
tomorrow is monday you could call
let us know what dan has to say
p.s. thanks for your civil response to my post
i have no ill will towards you
but your threads show so much pain in your performance
that life is too short to suffer so much
thats where i am coming from
:)

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
let us know what dan has to say

Emailed back and forth with Dan today. He basically said his cues in the Available Custom Cues section were just as good as his cues in the Handmade section as far as quality, materials, craftsmanship, construction, hit, feel, and playability.

r/Mike

EddySJ

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was looking at these cues a while back... it was my conclusion that the custom were still cnc rounded inlays but a very low production 1 of 1, etc... and that the hand made had the sharp points in the forearm.
Cost wise you don't get discounts ordering directly from Joss, or didn't when I asked.
Typically you get 20% off the top if you order a full production joss from an Internet retailer. Certain retailers have series not available to the others.
If I went with a custom or handmade, ie paying more for a "unique" joss, the handmade sharp points in the forearm would be my choice, simply because of the extra time and craftsmanship involved.

Both of my Joss production cues shoot and feel the same, aside from slight weight difference.

I was able to have weight adjusted on my JOS 34...
I was not able to go lighter on my 95_09 due to heavier materials in the construction. I believe the butt sleeve is white phenolic or possibly aegis. That cue was 20.6 Oz with no weight bolt in the handle.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G850A using Tapatalk

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The way you worded your original questions and putting in things like made by machine instead of made by hand makes there exactly ZERO cuemakers who are custom if they cannot use machinery. To me custom means it was made as a one of a kind cue or modified to the customers exact specifications like outside of normal weight, length or balance. Or it could be made with different woods or materials than the normal production model. Production means many of the same design cues being made over and over and custom means special not standard. So Joss makes custom and production cues and does a good job at both.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The way you worded your original questions and putting in things like made by machine instead of made by hand makes there exactly ZERO cuemakers who are custom if they cannot use machinery. To me custom means it was made as a one of a kind cue or modified to the customers exact specifications like outside of normal weight, length or balance. Or it could be made with different woods or materials than the normal production model. Production means many of the same design cues being made over and over and custom means special not standard. So Joss makes custom and production cues and does a good job at both.

What is "normal weight, length or balance"? What is "normal" to one is "abnormal" to another (i.e., weight, tip diameter, balance., etc.).

"Normally", shafts are made at 13mm. Under the above definition, tapering the shaft down to 12.5mm would make a production cue a "custom" cue.

bdcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What is "normal weight, length or balance"? What is "normal" to one is "abnormal" to another (i.e., weight, tip diameter, balance., etc.).

"Normally", shafts are made at 13mm. Under the above definition, tapering the shaft down to 12.5mm would make a production cue a "custom" cue.

Start making cues yourself... than you can provide a fact based definition to production and/or custom.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

You`re nitpicking.
Not running a batch of the same cue, making each cue a one of, usually made by one or just a very few persons, usually with more woods and options to choose from for the customer etc. You know what is meant by custom :)

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So Joss makes custom and production cues and does a good job at both.

Indeed. And what I would like to point out is that according to Dan Janes there is no compromise when choosing a Joss of any type or production number.

As was posted:
Emailed back and forth with Dan today. He basically said his cues in the Available Custom Cues section were just as good as his cues in the Handmade section as far as quality, materials, craftsmanship, construction, hit, feel, and playability.

As far as the semantics "handmade" is just how they market certain cues.

I have yet to see a cue maker gnaw a cue out with his teeth. :wink:

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So if I have Dan take one of his cues that he has already made, tailor it to my specs, does that make it a custom cue? Or is it still a production cue?

I assume if he pretty much makes all his cues by hand (with the aid of machines, of course) that it is a custom cue. A production cue just goes from one machine to the next with no inspection from one step in the process to the next, correct?

r/Mike