Decisions, Decisions

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Digging through some of my cases in the closet to select what toy I'm going to take to Brian's on Sunday and give a whirl.

The first few cases I opened had some of my "old" stuff that I haven't broken out in a while.

1. A C-14 McDermott that I've had for almost 40 years
2. An A.E. Schmidt Titlist that I've had for almost 50 years
3. A Murray Tucker Sneaky Pete that was made in 2000 (one of the first 5 cues he ever made)
4. A white ebony Mike Gulyassy PHX Merry Widow

While checking them out, I decided to wipe them down and give them a coat of wax, so now they look too pretty to play with. They all are in MINT condition.

I may just stick (no pun intended) to the cues already in my carrying case: A BECUE and a Jackpot.

This is the kind of dilemma you find yourself in when you have more than a dozen cues to select from. It is going to get worse, too. I have another few new cues being made that will be here soon.

Last edited:

frankw

Semi Retired Bodybuilder
Silver Member
How do you like the gulyassy PHX cue? Always wanted to try one

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Take the Tucker
Not using a Tucker is like not reading a great book that you own.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How do you like the gulyassy PHX cue? Always wanted to try one

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

The Gulyassy plays very good, but I have only used it a couple of times. It is 60" and the shaft has a long Strickland Pro Taper. Mike is the guy who makes custom cues for Earl Strickland.

It looks unique, too, because it is made of white ebony instead of black ebony. It is a lighter color of wood with black grain streaks in it and the cue has a really nice Spanish bull black leather wrap on it. One of the best wrap installations I've ever seen. It took me forever for find the seam in the wrap.

This cue has no metal in it or artificial weighting It is all naturally weighted at around 19-19.5 ounces (can't remember exactly at the moment...been a while since it was weighed.). The balance point of the cue is 20.5" from the bottom. It has a G-10 pin.

The PHX cues (butts and shafts) have Phenolic rods for cores that run their entire lengths. That is something that Mike has patented.

Everyone who has seen it, or hit a ball with it, has liked it and I've had several people ask me if it was for sale, but I haven't really thought about getting rid of it.

However, I have a few new cues being made that may cause me to thin out some of the herd. I'm already out of cases to store them in and I don't want to buy more cases.

When my new cues arrive, I may list it for sale here, along with a couple more cues (maybe even the Tucker...there is a saying that goes with Tuckers "They are harder to find or get than a Searing.")

Last edited:

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Crappy phone camera photo in bad light.

Picture turned out crappier than I thought it would. This phone camera SUCKS and I was using only light from the window and it is getting dusk here.

Attachments

• 20200221_174650.jpg
    20200221_174650.jpg
    187.6 KB · Views: 368
Last edited:

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A.E. Schmidt Titlist

Didn't you say it needs tips?

It looks like it needs played..... :thumbup:

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A.E. Schmidt Titlist

Didn't you say it needs tips?

It looks like it needs played..... :thumbup:

I have three shafts for the Titlist.

Two original from 1973 and one that I had Scot Sherbine make when I sent it to Proficient Billiards for restoration.

One of the original shafts has a laminated tip that is delaminating and needs to be replaced. The other two seem to be okay, but I will replace the tips on both original shafts with Ultra-skin black soft tips before I take it out.

I would do it now, but I'm lazy and it's getting dark outside and I usually do my tip changing on my back lanai.

Aloha Doc.

trinacria

in efren we trust
Silver Member
seeing how every other one of your effing posts mentions your AMAZING becue, we could have all guessed the answer.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
seeing how every other one of your effing posts mentions your AMAZING becue, we could have all guessed the answer.

My AMAZING Becue is just like everybody else's AMAZING Becues.

If you don't like my posts, maybe you need to skip them. Easy enough, huh?

The reason I always take the Becue is because when I play with it I don't ever think about "babying" it. It doesn't ding, get scratched, or dirty like my other stuff that is back in pristine condition. And, it doesn't have any sentimental value to me, so I don't worry about somebody running off with it as much as some of my cues that I have had for decades.

If somebody runs off with the Becue, I can buy another one in a minute that plays EXACTLY like it does and looks EXACTLY like it does.

I can't do that with my other cues.

rhinobywilhite

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What would you do if you had 4-500 pieces of quality cue squares of wood and could build anything you wanted?

My dilemma.

PickPocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
C14

But I'm partial, because I used to own one also.

#2 Sneaky, #3 titleist. (But if I'm being honest, I'd take multiple (all if possible) and play a few games with each!

JC

Coos Cues
Crappy phone camera photo in bad light.

Picture turned out crappier than I thought it would. This phone camera SUCKS and I was using only light from the window and it is getting dusk here.

I had no idea that bigfoot plays pool until you posted his cue collection.

JC

Coos Cues
What would you do if you had 4-500 pieces of quality cue squares of wood and could build anything you wanted?

My dilemma.

I have 400 quality squares of just cocobolo.

Does that make me a wood junkie?

Or a smart investor when it hits Cites 1 along with BRW? :grin:

Bob Flynn is the teacher......................

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had no idea that bigfoot plays pool until you posted his cue collection.

There actually was a road player nicknamed "Bigfoot" that played really, really strong.

He was tall and wore about size 14 shoes.

He used to travel around with Jack Taylor sometimes.

When you finish my cue be sure to post some good pictures and I won't have to use the Bigfoot cam. :)

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
But I'm partial, because I used to own one also.

#2 Sneaky, #3 titleist. (But if I'm being honest, I'd take multiple (all if possible) and play a few games with each!

The C-14 is one of the best playing cues I have ever played with.

I bought it to sell it, but it played so good I sold my Richard Black cue that he made for me and played with the C-14 for years and years.