Predictions, Pool Halls VS Bars

DarkPoseidon6

Registered
I expressed my opinion a while back that IF the majority of pool halls closed that their MAY be a resurgence of pool hall patrons that would transition over to the barrooms for pool playing as far as public competition goes.

I'm not sure if I would be correct in my assumption because I think this whole situation is pretty multi-faceted and up-in-the-air at this point. Personally, I think there are many gray areas.

My question is to those who are basically pool hall junkies - if the pool halls were to go under on a large scale and the only real public venues that involved pool table play was going into a bar to play there, would you even bother to transition or just throw in the towel and say that it really wouldn't be worth it at that point?

Geosnooker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I expressed my opinion a while back that IF the majority of pool halls closed that their MAY be a resurgence of pool hall patrons that would transition over to the barrooms for pool playing as far as public competition goes.

I'm not sure if I would be correct in my assumption because I think this whole situation is pretty multi-faceted and up-in-the-air at this point. Personally, I think there are many gray areas.

My question is to those who are basically pool hall junkies - if the pool halls were to go under on a large scale and the only real public venues that involved pool table play was going into a bar to play there, would you even bother to transition or just throw in the towel and say that it really wouldn't be worth it at that point?

Where? Not in China...or my country, Canada.

King T

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No Change yet..,

4 of the 6 main Pool halls in Houston are being remodeled, thats a good sign. The largest chain, Slick Willies has stated the they will reopen as soon as its safe for all customers. another good sign.

Most Pool halls are, large sports bars with pool tables that cater to drinkers and socializing, so as long as they can sell liquor they will probably reopen.

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
I don't drink. I prefer a 9' table. The bars in my home town are pretty sleazy & mean places with poorly maintained Valley bar boxes. it would hurt, but probably would just quit pool.

Antfarm

PRAGMATIC PONTIFICATOR
Silver Member
Most of the strictly pool halls here in the DC area are gone. Now, most are bars first and have tables. Some have 5 or 6 tables (sometimes more, sometimes less) but the days of a strictly pool hall are gone in this area. There are still a couple, but they aren't in the city proper.

Buffalo Billiards in Dupont Circle closed about 6 months ago or so... they had maybe 10 tables at least but they were a big bar and had a bunch of other games and sports packages. Rocket Bar still exists and they have 7 tables I think but their focus is on a huge variety of games and the drink... big young persons bar. They are trying to start a league but it sucks according to all of the actual pool players.

There is Bedrock Billiards and they have a handful of tables or less but it is very difficult to play there. Tables are usually busy and the league is about impossible to get into, especially if you are high ranked. If you are a 6 or 7, forget it.

Atomic Billiards is where the league from Buffalo went. It is okay. A handful of tables but the place is tight. Definitely not a "pool hall".

There are a couple of places "metro accessible" over in Virginia like Breakers in Herndon. But that place is almost a cross between pool hall, bar, and club depending on the night you go. Pretty good tables though.

If you want to make the drive further up into Maryland, there are still a couple of good pool halls like Bank Shots and Triple 999's. Those are pretty strictly pool halls and both have very good tables.

Fast Eddies closed I believe. Big Daddy's closed and because Brew's and Cues. Great tables and a pretty good sports bar feel but it is definitely a bar. They even have live music often enough that gets in the way of pool.

All of the Champions pool halls have closed.

It is getting tougher and tougher to play. That's why I'm currently turning my living room into a pool room. I've got the room and I also have a second living room... so, I'm lucky. But, I think pool isn't what it used to be 8-10 years ago. It definitely isn't what it was 20 years ago... especially in the D.C. area.

But, that doesn't mean that it won't come back in some form or just continue to evolve. I still love it and know a lot of people who do. Life long players. I still see new blood all the time, including an amazing class of kids and juniors who are amazingly talented. Nothing like being a 7 and getting your ass handed to you by a 12 year old. LOL.

R,

Greg

Maxx

AzB Platinum Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
A lot of the less populated areas don’t have a choice. Here, unless you want to drive an hour on the interstate, it’s bar pool on a valley. I miss the pool hall, put you have to work with what you have.

I’m just happy the bars still have pool tables, I think most would like to replace them with poker machines.

David in FL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Most serious pool players will find a place to play pool. Equally important to realize, is that as long as there’s a genuine need, the market will react to provide for that need.

Fortunately, there are plenty of high quality pool rooms here, and I don’t see any of them going away.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Would a golfer consider mini-golf as a continuation?

All 7 and 6 feet tables should be hacked down to bumper tables as there isn't enough bumper tables and it's extremely underrated.

jaime_lion

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So I am already kind of in that position. Where I live there is one pool hall. The rest are bars and VFW clubs and lodges etc. No Idea how many pool tables they have. But I have been told that if I sign up for leagues I would be going to bars and such because the pool hall is not big enough. Just going off memory the pool hall has 15 or so tables. Also the pool hall is not a full bar just serves beer and wine. just putting that out there. not sure if that is a rarity.

Last edited:

HNTFSH

Birds, Bass & Bottoms
Silver Member
I don't drink. I prefer a 9' table. The bars in my home town are pretty sleazy & mean places with poorly maintained Valley bar boxes. it would hurt, but probably would just quit pool.

I'm with ya, I don't drink and more than prefer 9 footers. Our local "bars" or hall/bars aren't that shady but I hate playing a bar box. Hence the home 9 footer and if they cease to exist in public I just won't play there.

The hall closest to me is nice but they have 2, 9 footers and 14 bar boxes. Always have to arrive before open to make sure I can grab one. It's a hassle!

Geosnooker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

All 7 and 6 feet tables should be hacked down to bumper tables as there isn't enough bumper tables and it's extremely underrated.

Ronnie O'Sullivan when asked to compare the skill level of Snooker and American pool compared it to the Masters Golf Tournament being compared to mini golf.

He was just kidding...sort of.

Andrew Manning

Aspiring know-it-all
Silver Member
There are a couple of places "metro accessible" over in Virginia like Breakers in Herndon. But that place is almost a cross between pool hall, bar, and club depending on the night you go. Pretty good tables though.

Give First Break in Sterling a shot, if you haven't. 8 excellent diamond 9'ers, and it's rarely problematically crowded as Breakers often is.

axejunkie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have several rooms within a half hour of me. If they all were to close, I would probably support bars, but not as much as I did the pool halls, simply to play. Bar tables don't interest me like 9 footers and the bar environment is not my taste for playing the game seriously.

It's a scary scenario for us pool room junkies without tables at home.

Last edited:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Ronnie O'Sullivan when asked to compare the skill level of Snooker and American pool compared it to the Masters Golf Tournament being compared to mini golf.

He was just kidding...sort of.

Doubt he made that comment during the IPT 8-ball events, in which he competed without any success at all.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member

I guess peoples opinions differ, I have a great 9' table at home but almost always play tournaments and leagues on 7' tables because there are not enough 9' tables around. I dont have a problem at all with 7' tables. It seems to me that many of the pros dont mind 7' tables either, it doesnt seem like there is a problem filling ladders on barbox tournaments.
Like they say, opinions are like (I cant remember the word used here), everyone has one and they all stink.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’d rather spend $5-6k and get a brand new Golden Tee Golf Arcade to go with a new 84” HDTV.