Orcullo vs Woodward

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Even if Filler is the future of the game, Shane still has to be dethroned.

Already been done.

Mosconi Cup 2019: Filler 5 SVB 0 and Filler 5 SVB 1
Derby City 2020: Filler 9 SVB 2

Filler has won 19 of the last 22 racks played against SVB.

JL Chang and Josh Filler are both favorites in a long race over SVB. Now Chang vs Filler, that's awfully tough to call.

Filler isn't the future of the game. He is the present of the game.

markjames

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
but a mosconi race to 5
and a dcc race to 9 is de-throning?

i think shane has a chance against joshua.

Last edited:

TheMarsMan

Nice Gun!
Silver Member
Filler turned down playing Shane a long race of 10 Ball earlier in the year. Shane isn't ducking anyone gambling in a long race of 10 ball.

Cracks me up all these people who don't know the whole story All you people that think Filler has the best of it put up some money and stake him. Just so you know his current stakehorses don't want anything to do with playing Shane.

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
SVB vs Filler? Tell you what...I'm willing to admit someone else may know more than me on this one. Normally I have a pretty good read on these match ups, but this is something else.

Both gentleman have not only the game to win this match, but they are both stone champions. They have deep desire, heart, confidence, and are so competitive it's unbelievable. Either one of them could dig deep and put on a show for the ages.

Now, my feeling right now is that SVB isn't as hungry as he used to be. But Filler has cooled down from the superhuman level has was at for 24 months to merely the best in the world. My gut says Filler has the desire edge. But if SVB posted the cash I believe it would be because he wanted to win. Would he want it enough? And would he have game enough? I'm not sure.

10 ball I feel SVB would be very competitive. Yes, he dropped a set to Chang. But he also just beat Dennis 120-85, and Shaw as well last year. He's not retired yet. He had a 44% break and run stat which has yet to be matched in one of these sets to my memory. And he has a lot of experience in that format and in the moving game. All that said I'm not saying he has to win. Filler could definitely out gun him just by missing less balls and coming with more hero shots than SVB might be too tired to dig out of his box of tricks. But I definitely don't think either side is stealing here.

9 ball I feel a little differently. I have to lean on Filler. Especially with the 9 on the spot, in which I think Filler has a definite advantage. He's won majors with that rule in place, SVB hasn't done much with 9 ball the last few years. Granted he won Turning Stone in January, but that's not a major. I don't know that SVB has much of a breaking edge in 10 ball, but he might be a pinch in front, whereas in 9 ball he's a little behind. I might be wrong on that, but I just feel like playing Filler 9 ball would be a bad move.

In the end though when dealing with two players at that level it's hard to get too out of line. We're talking about two of the strongest players ever, and I think it's selling either one of them short to call it a runaway.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Filler turned down playing Shane a long race of 10 Ball earlier in the year. Shane isn't ducking anyone gambling in a long race of 10 ball.

Cracks me up all these people who don't know the whole story All you people that think Filler has the best of it put up some money and stake him. Just so you know his current stakehorses don't want anything to do with playing Shane.

I'll put up 2k w JF getting 30%- Do i have any partners?

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
I'll put up 2k w JF getting 30%- Do i have any partners?

Well I've learned a few things:

You don't tug on Superman's cape,

You dont spit in the rain,

You don't pull the mask off the Lone Ranger,

and you don't bet against ol' Shane.

Last edited:

mnb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

any chance of Shane getting in some high-dollar one pocket action?

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
All-around Shane vs Filler, race to 30 10b, 8b and 1p(race to 12).

I don’t think Joshua is ready to play 1-pocket against Shane, but I think 9-ball Banks would be a competitive 3rd discipline.

benny-the-blade

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don’t think Joshua is ready to play 1-pocket against Shane, but I think 9-ball Banks would be a competitive 3rd discipline.

After what Filler did to T-Rex in their one hole match, I think he’d be fairly confident getting in the box with SVB.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
After what Filler did to T-Rex in their one hole match, I think he’d be fairly confident getting in the box with SVB.

I agree with this. He's able to give Shane a game, that's for sure. Not ready for Dennis or Alex.

I would like to see Filler play Shane or Dennis in a long race, 9 or 10 ball. There would be good betting action on both sides.

Nick B

This is gonna hurt
Silver Member
Just a a couple points for clarity. Joshua had been playing on that table non-stop for about two months. Essentially home field advantage.

T-Rex has two speeds. Monster-Rex and Lion-Rex. Lion version showed up. Most players if they are feeling it and they see a little weakness find their 6th gear. Joshua was getting the rolls and Tony was not pushing back and we got what we got.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Even if Filler is the future of the game, Shane still has to be dethroned.

Rick Flair said it best. To be the man you gotta beat the man.

Is Filler willing to spend the long hours at a table daily to stay sharp? You have to give Shane credit for that. He stays in pool shape by putting in the time.

Like a fighter who gets fat some pool players are on top for a short time and then they fade.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

Not sure about that, Freddie....Chohan beat Shane like Filler beat Chohan.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Rick Flair said it best. To be the man you gotta beat the man.

Is Filler willing to spend the long hours at a table daily to stay sharp? You have to give Shane credit for that. He stays in pool shape by putting in the time.

Like a fighter who gets fat some pool players are on top for a short time and then they fade.
Well, he won the world 9 and US Open, didn't he ?

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i feel shane - appleton was a better rivalry than shane - filler. shane doesn't seem to have the same hunger, and tbh i think he is outgunned against filler