Inlay designs

Everglade

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Where can you find images that can be vectorized to use for inlays in cues. Using bobart, the scanned image has to be very good inorder to clean up the vectorized image. I can scan at 4800dpi, but the image being scaned is not good enough. What do you guys use? The looks of some of the inlays that are being done today, surely must be vectorized art work converted to g code. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mc2

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Where can you find images that can be vectorized to use for inlays in cues. Using bobart, the scanned image has to be very good inorder to clean up the vectorized image. I can scan at 4800dpi, but the image being scaned is not good enough. What do you guys use? The looks of some of the inlays that are being done today, surely must be vectorized art work converted to g code. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I havn't used any yet but Bobcad is now selling a cd with 6000 vectorized images. I have the cd and there are quite a few usable images. They will only be good for engraving and not inlays.

Jim.

Tony Zinzola

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I draw all of mine. I downloaded one or two images when I first starting doing CNC and they were all junk too. If I need something that's tough to draw, I print it out and sit at the computer with a set of calipers, plotting and connecting points until I'm satisfied with the way it looks.

It sometimes takes days to do a drawing, but at least when it's done, you will have the satisfaction that you made it.

I once saw a cue that was nothing but a nearly complete photoshop brush set, filled in with colored epoxy. Kind of sad that such a big cue was nothing more than a cut and paste job.

Everglade

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the responses.

Tony, I was afraid that was going to be the answer for the most part. I guess I have to get better and faster at correcting the vector images or not to try to do the really intricate work.

rhncue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I draw all of mine. I downloaded one or two images when I first starting doing CNC and they were all junk too. If I need something that's tough to draw, I print it out and sit at the computer with a set of calipers, plotting and connecting points until I'm satisfied with the way it looks.

It sometimes takes days to do a drawing, but at least when it's done, you will have the satisfaction that you made it.

I once saw a cue that was nothing but a nearly complete photoshop brush set, filled in with colored epoxy. Kind of sad that such a big cue was nothing more than a cut and paste job.

I am very computer illiterate so when the question was asked I wasn't even sure what he was talking about. I'm sure there are very many short cuts to achieve codes for many inlays but I'm not a ware of them. I do as you do. I design all of my inlays using mathematical points and then joining with lines and arcs so that the design that I want is mechanically built. All of my inlays are symmetrical. My cad/cam program will import drawings such as signatures and line drawings to be engraved but I don't know how to do it.

Dick

Everglade

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
computer malfunction. Other wise known a operator error!

I was talking about the complex art work on the back of a playing card. There are numerous shapes that can be used for inlays in cues. Scanning the card at 4200dpi does not render an image good enough when vectorized to turn into g code. Using bobart to clean the image takes a long time as well as a lot of skill. If an image is very sharp, bobart will convert it into vector graphics that bobcad can turn into g code for a pocket and inlay very quickly.

Brown Bear

Registered
Adobe AI

I have very limited knowledge of CAD software, but Adobe Illustrator is a great tool for cleaning up intricate designs.

Tony Zinzola

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Illustrator works ok, but keep in mind that the design in Illustrator doesn't need to be as precise as the inlay you're trying to do. The live trace option works a little. When you import it into BobCad, you could use that as a template and redraw your design over the top. The arcs will not be clean at all coming from Illustrator.

I'm doing some Face Cards right now for a Gambler Cue, where I transfered the drawing from Illustrator to BobCad, but I have spent hours and hours cleaning it up and I'm only on the first of four cards.

For something like you're looking for, the designs are probably mirrored over the X or Y axis, so it would probably be easier to try to draw it freehand.

Sheldon

dontneednostinkintitle
Silver Member
When converting raster to vector, anything complicated pretty much has to be re-drawn... Even rasterized images from Illustrator will end up containing far to many entities for my liking. I almost always re-draw in my Cad/Cam software. I've had pretty good luck tracing with splines.

Jr's Farm

Be inspired!
Silver Member
If I need something that's tough to draw, I print it out and sit at the computer with a set of calipers, plotting and connecting points until I'm satisfied with the way it looks.

Exactly.

To expand on this, don't try to print your drawings full scale. Print them big enough to work out the details then scale them back down in CAD.
Another thing that helps is having one of those old school drafting circle template guides. Makes finding the radius of your arcs much, much simpler.
It's funny how many arcs match the change in your pocket too ;)

Frank

Everglade

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have had bobcad for about 2 weeks now. I looked at splines and it looks like tracing an image may be easier than cleaning up a vector image with bobart. I'll give it a try.

Thanks for the info!