APA playoff question

Chadk

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ok, so for the playoff's, the top three teams plus a wildcard team go. 1 plays 4, and 3 plays 2. Then the two semi final winners play for the division championship in the finals.

Then what??? is the looser done or do both teams advance and this is only for placement?

Banks

Banned
In my area, the winner of the playoffs goes to tricups(I think they call it "cities" in some areas). Then you go through those and the top number(depending upon how many teams) go to regionals, which is your last dance before Vegas. In 7 years, I've never made it to regionals with a team. :(

quadrary

Custom Leather Cue Cases
Silver Member
apa playoffs

it depends on the area and size of the division. In our area if the division is large enough the top 2 finishers during the session go to the division cup and play the winners of the match between the 3 and 4th place teams against 2 wild card teams. The 1 and second place teams are automatically qualified to play in the qualifier cup which then leads to city championship then to vegas for nationals if they keep winning. The wild card winners go on to qualifier cup only if they win at the division cup.

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In my area, the winner of the playoffs goes to tricups(I think they call it "cities" in some areas). Then you go through those and the top number(depending upon how many teams) go to regionals, which is your last dance before Vegas. In 7 years, I've never made it to regionals with a team. :(

Sounds like you need to find better teams. No disrespect to the teams you are/have been on but something just isn't clicking. There are many factors that come into play besides the quality of each individual's play on a team though.

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
In our area here, a new team must qualify in each session. So if you're playing in the championship match against a team that has already qualified for what we call "Cities", you automatically qualify or if both teams playing on trophy night have already both qualified then of the other two playoff teams - the teams that lost in the first round, the one with the better record qualifies. Sounds like it might not be the same in any two places.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
In our area, all four teams that make the playoffs are also qualified for the Tri Cup tourney. The division playoffs are for the cash, the tri cups are to qualify for the state finals, where you can qualify for the Vegas trip.

Sadly, I didn't make the playoffs this session, on either my 8 or 9 ball teams. This is the first year that I haven't gone to states, sigh... We'll get'em next session :p

sk8ordie

HTTR!
Silver Member
In our area, 1st place division winner automatically goes to Tri-cups, 2nd plays 3rd and 4th plays the wild card. Three teams advance to the Tri-cups.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i just looked up our local playoff schedule.

in our area the division winner automatically qualifies for the tri cups. then you have playoffs for the rest of the teams , depending on how many teams are in the division. some of our divisions have a 4 team playoff, some have 6 teams and several have 8 teams in the playoffs.

i think the 2 top teams in each tri cup qualifies for the cities. if you win our city tournament you go to vegas.

here is what sucks. if you win a tri cup you have to finish in the top half each session to keep your eligibility for the cities. lets say for example you win the fall tri cup. you have to finish in the top half of your division in the winter, spring and summer sessions to keep your eligibility for the cities that are held each summer.

we qualified for the cities in both 8 and 9 ball last fall. so far we have kept our eligibility in 9 ball by coming in 1st or 2nd each session.

we lost our eligibility in 8 ball by coming in last place this last session. we will have to wait and try to qualify again next year for 8 ball. our session just finished up and our cities are being held next month, there is no way to try and qualify again before then. by coming in last place we were not even eligible for the playoffs last week .