I need a mentor. Dallas / FW

Chadk

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm constantly amazed by the world class / professional players that frequent AZB. I think it's fantastic the knowledge that's shared because of these players. I love the stories of the pool world they tell.

I'm very new to the pool world. Have been playing only a little over a year. I'm nothing more than a middle weight league player, and i'm not a young man at 42 years old. Pretty much everyone i play has 20 years experience on me. I try to compensate with almost daily table time (home), a few DVD's, and even a lesson by well known instructor.

I think in most cases of the stories of some of the greatest players you hear, they all had someone that "took them under their wing" so to speak, and taught or coached them to become the best they could be.
This may sound crazy, but is it possible that there are some of the Old School players that would be interested in passing some of their knowledge on to the next generation. I want to hear your stories of the road, money games, tournaments, "Tush Hogs" (just learned what that was in a few other posts) ect.... Is there anyone in my neighborhood that wants to take up the challange of helping to groom and mentor a player to become the best he can be? Could we meet up once a week or so at my place, your place or regular hall privately.
thanks,

Grand Prairie, Tx.

RAMIII

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Then I want one too.....:)

Hey if he gets one, then I want on too :) I'm sure some of the lesser experienced players could get some great tutelage from the talent we have here in DFW.

Chad, I'm getting a lesson from Charlie Bryant tomorrow. You may want to reach out to him while he's in the Dallas area. He offers some pretty good prices on his lessons.

Maybe we can get a group of us together for some monthly lessons/talks by the local greats?

cajunfats

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
DFW Area

Maybe AZ'er Run the Century could help you guys out? He's extremely talented and shares a passion for Pool. Tell Him cajunfats sent you. He knows how to teach.

Chadk

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
absolutely, I know there is a world of knowledge right here. It's crazy to hear these guys talk on AZB about the road players from other parts of the country that they all knew. It was like their own network.

"OMG Charlie Bryant, "The Hillbilly"??? When and where is he going to be around???? I've seen a few of his youtubes. I know he has a crazy break. They guy has cues named after him. I'd LOVE to hear more about this. Shoot me a PM with some info if you dont mind.

Chadk

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe AZ'er Run the Century could help you guys out? He's extremely talented and shares a passion for Pool. Tell Him cajunfats sent you. He knows how to teach.

I've sent him a message with a link to this thread. Thanks very much for the suggestion.

mhilton777

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Get a hold of Bert Kinister. He is living in Dallas now and will teach you quite a bit and he can tell you a ton of stories!! I took lessons from him about 15 years ago when we lived close to each other.

http://bertkinister.com/

JMD in VA

It's All Good!
Silver Member
One of the best instructors lives near Dallas/FW

RandyG Baby!

PM him here on AZ.

The school is in Richardson, TX.

Tell him "The Mayor" sent you!

Chadk

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've spent a whole day with Randy. Pure greatness. He got me from barely knowing how to stroke a cue to where I am now a year ago. I have heard he has had to move his school from his long time home.

He's not exactly what I'm talking about though. I wasnt really hoping to find a pro player who makes his living off lessons.

LOL, I do have a lesson with Charlie Bryant tomorrow though baby!!!

randyg

www.randygpool.com
Silver Member
I've spent a whole day with Randy. Pure greatness. He got me from barely knowing how to stroke a cue to where I am now a year ago. I have heard he has had to move his school from his long time home.

He's not exactly what I'm talking about though. I wasnt really hoping to find a pro player who makes his living off lessons.

Thanks. Keep up your SPF.

randyg

Txstang1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Send CJ Wiley a pm and talk to him about it and see what you think. I know he is busy with the upcoming Mosconi cup, but he might have time to help you before then.

I will be getting together with him as soon as my work schedule allows.

Talk about a wealth of knowledge !!!!!

Chadk

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Send CJ Wiley a pm and talk to him about it and see what you think. I know he is busy with the upcoming Mosconi cup, but he might have time to help you before then.

I will be getting together with him as soon as my work schedule allows.

Talk about a wealth of knowledge !!!!!

absolutely will do! Thanks much!

Shazar

Pool Guru
Silver Member
Best mentor is really not a mentor

But rather a good student

Watch the house pros

Watch videos of the pros

Examine : stroke, style, strategy

Lastly , for hands on instruction ; be prepared to donate

Hanging around a pool hall long enuf should develop friendships,
These are invaluable

These friendships become in part mentors as well

My philosophy has always been the "million shot goal"

Not a number goal, rather an ideology of taking endless shots

GL

Yoda4962

North Texas
Silver Member
Hi, i am in the arlington area every day

Hello,
I am a pro player, that's all i do. No part-time for me. I would love to help you all i can if you are serious about excelling. I do not enjoy working with folks who won't put in the time and effort though.

Also, I am not very interested in telling tales and stories, only performing at your maximum ability, and then you can tell your own stories !!! lol

Find me here anytime.
Y

RAMIII

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sent you a PM

Hello,
I am a pro player, that's all i do. No part-time for me. I would love to help you all i can if you are serious about excelling. I do not enjoy working with folks who won't put in the time and effort though.

Also, I am not very interested in telling tales and stories, only performing at your maximum ability, and then you can tell your own stories !!! lol

Find me here anytime.
Y

Sounds great, sent you a PM. Thanks for your interest and willingness-Ryan