Need Fluorescent/LED Light Help

DJSTEVEZ

Professor of Human Moves
Silver Member
Just as a reminder, I'm the guy looking to update his Diamond Pool Table Light from Fluorescent to LED.
My light presently takes 8, 4', single pin, Fluorescent tubes. To replace them with the same tubes from my local brick & mortar retailer would cost $160.
My electrician said to re-wire the Diamond Light box (replace the ballasts) he'd need to charge me circa $300...and that's WITHOUT the new LED tubes.

I called Diamond today and they told me all I need to do is to find single pin, 48" LED light tubes and I'd be all set.
I shared that from what I've read here I would first have to change the ballast in my light, they said not true.

So...are there "plug & play" single pin, 48" LED tubes, that I can use in my existing, vintage 2007, 9' Diamond Pool Table Light?

If so, I'd be very grateful if someone could post a link for me where I could purchase them.

THANK YOU! -Z-

Last edited:

DJSTEVEZ

Professor of Human Moves
Silver Member

Thank you. Called them and 1000Bulbs.com and they don't stock any Single Pin LED tubes in the 4' size.
They couldn't even refer me to anyone who did. That being said, the salesgal did say that they are made in that size, they're just really hard to come by.
The search goes on, lol. Thanx again! -Z-

Now these look interesting. May be something here that'll work. I'll keep you posted. Please continue to feel free to share tour thoughts & suggestions!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0751B84PX/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A24WXPAZPGWMH7&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/daylight-without-ballast-Lighting-Replacement/dp/B077YGZBTQ/ref=sr_1_15?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1517000711&sr=1-15&keywords=4%27+single+pin+led+tube

Last edited:

rtrdriver

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just as a reminder, I'm the guy looking to update his Diamond Pool Table Light from Fluorescent to LED.
My light presently takes 8, 4', single pin, Fluorescent tubes. To replace them with the same tubes from my local brick & mortar retailer would cost $160.
My electrician said to re-wire the Diamond Light box (replace the ballasts) he'd need to charge me circa $300...and that's WITHOUT the new LED tubes.

I called Diamond today and they told me all I need to do is to find single pin, 48" LED light tubes and I'd be all set.
I shared that from what I've read here I would first have to change the ballast in my light, they said not true.

So...are there "plug & play" single pin, 48" LED tubes, that I can use in my existing, vintage 2007, 9' Diamond Pool Table Light?

If so, I'd be very grateful if someone could post a link for me where I could purchase them.

THANK YOU! -Z-

Have you considered LED flat panel lights? I don't know the dimensions on your Diamond light but if you can fit either 2x2 or 4x2 panels you can just take the guts out of your light and mount those inside instead.

I have 2 LED flat panels installed above my table but have a custom box.

Attachments

• IMG_1176.jpg
    IMG_1176.jpg
    190.6 KB · Views: 555

BobY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can you get me a part number on the lamp or ballast? Most standard fluorescent are bipin (two pins). The single pin is a High Output T12 generally. I don't know of anyone who makes a LED retro lamp to work on that ballast for these but happy to try to help once you figure it out. I haven't seen a High output 4 footer in years and bet they are OLD. That ballast probably is not putting out nearly what it should. Maybe get us some pics of the tubes and ballast compartment.

If they are High Output tubes best bet would be to change tombstones and either direct wire them for LED tubes or change to a fluorescent ballast and T8 lamps. Many school maintenance and custodians do this all the time. It isn't that difficult. Another option would be change the ballast to what you have and put in newer lamps. They use more energy than LED but running one watt of electricity 24/7 365 days cost about $1.

BobY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
According to Diamond's site here are the replacement bulbs:

DIAMOND RECOMMENDED BULBS

9' - 59 watt - single pin - F096/741/ECO
7' - 32 watt - double pin - F32-T8/SP41/ECO
Diamond does not provide bulbs

Are you sure you don't have 8 footers? If not there must be different models?

BobTfromIL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just to clarify the 59 watt lamp is an 8' T8 lamp and the 32 watt is a 4' T8 lamp.
Both would use electronic ballasts.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
what an idiot company that would use a bulb type that was almost impossible to find.
that sucks so bad. call them and ask where they buy them. might be less hassle to do just that.

best bet is to change out to any t-8 and use led replacements. or take out the whole inside and put in led lights inside. or t 8 and replace with led bulbs which cost about 7 dollars a bulb at h.d. or costco.

BobY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
BobTFromIl... you are correct... Both are T8. The T8 8Ft is HO. There are replacement tubes for that but haven't seen any for 4 ft HO. I sold very few of these. Most customers retrofitted an 8 footer via a kit which turned the 8 foot tube into two 4 footers via an insert kit to keep from buying those expensive bulbs.

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
LED lights aren't the miracle they're sold as, in my experience.

We had the local power company do an audit on our house. The guy gave us a few LED bulbs for free to use with the pitch, "These last for years."

So far, the first one died in 6 months and I just replaced the 2nd one yesterday after less than a year.

fyi,

Jeff Livingston

They gave them to you for free. So you get what you pay for. In this case zero.

I have never had an LED light I have purchased wether that be a panel, tube or other.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

BobTfromIL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When you convert from 2 8' lamps to 4 4' T8 lamps you will also only need one 4 lamp ballast. I may be a little behind in the current lighting technology but I was involved with
quite a few conversions to T8 lighting on a major scale when it first became available, kinda showing my age.

bstroud

Deceased
Get rid of the ballast and buy LED replacement KITS.
Easy retrofit just replace the tombstones (these are the ends that support the bulbs).

I did this on my light and it works great.

Bill S.

Renegade_56

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a 9 foot diamond professional light with 6 8 ft bulbs originally. I ordered 6 new 8 ft LED bulbs from JESLED LIGHTING on Amazon. The only conversion required was to rewire the light fixture, in other cut the wires from both ends of the ballasts and wire them together. I removed my ballasts completely reducing the light weight bu probably 25 pounds. I have tons of light now and could probably just use 4 of them if I wanted.

randyaz

Registered
I put in a 9'footer and diamomd light I too did not want 4 bulbs for $140 but bought a box of 24 for $199 so I got 20 spares originals have been going 4+ years IF your anywhere near phoenix arizona i'll sell you some cheap im jeepbebop at that old original american online site that only old people use now

][cee

Registered
The Diamond light is big, heavy, wrong color temperature and obsolete. Following Scott Frost (AZ Ice House), I went to Lite Systems. I selected the FiN Wide with the standard 5000K option. Warmer colors cost $300 more. it provides a powerful 150 lumens, which is good for fine detail assembly work (like shooting at colored balls). $600

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
The Diamond light is big, heavy, wrong color temperature and obsolete. Following Scott Frost (AZ Ice House), I went to Lite Systems. I selected the FiN Wide with the standard 5000K option. Warmer colors cost $300 more. it provides a powerful 150 lumens, which is good for fine detail assembly work (like shooting at colored balls). $600

We had this conversation the other night under a 9 foot Diamond light.

The diffusers are pointed straight down so the light doesn't come down on the table the same way it does on a regular light that shines moreso from the middle of the table. On the Diamond light, the edges of the table, especially the end rails, are hard to see for cuts. I've witnessed so many good players who, at first,miss cuts along the end rails, usually cutting too thin, in my observations. After a while you get used to it and the negative effect is reduced but is still there if the player hasn't figured out that he has to take an extra second of aiming those shots.

My opinion from limited observation.

Those lights sure look nice, though.

Jeff Livingston

Dave

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a different opinion on the Diamond light, at least my Diamond light.
I have an old one that is approximately 4x8 feet.
Mine has 8 @ 4' T8 florescent tubes.
The illumination on the table is very even... as even as I've seen, with the exception of a TV table properly lit.
My rails are illuminated well. There is little fall off.
I vote for a color temperature around 2900°K. I like a warmer light.
5000°K is way to cool for me... particularly if you have blue cloth... almost hurts the eyes.
A rule of thumb in lighting is> the bigger the light source, the softer the shadows... and the converse applies, of course. The shadows will become stronger the further you get from the light source.

BobY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have always wondered why they use the celled diffusers. In commercial applications they were big in the 80's when we all had those rounded CRT screens instead of the flat computer screens we have now. Their intent was to knock out the high angle light which caused reflections on the rounded screens.
Mounting height also plays a big role in coverage along the rails.