Smorgass Bored Memorial Guest Book - Nice Read.

Bigtruck

Capt Diff Lock
Gold Member
Silver Member
The link to donate is in my signature.FYI

Barbara "Barbarachnid" Winslow wrote the following:

Alan "Douglas" Winslow

Fundraising Goal: $2,500.00

Help us continue our lifesaving efforts against heart disease and stroke by giving today.

Total Number of Gifts: 37
Total Value of Gifts: $1,825.00

Smorgass Bored, the man who made us all laugh and smile.

I set this up so you can envision what Doug went through. The man you knew left us when they said no surgery. I hope contributions can further advance the treatments for Congestive Heart Failure. I appreciate all of you more then words can say.

Doug suffered severely in the later weeks. The CHF and complications from the meds caused side affects that devastated his body and spirit.

Treatments for patients suffering with this illness need to be addressed quickly. This is an illness that requires aggressive treatment. When a patient has additional medical conditions, personalized attenion become more neccessary. My husbands treatment was handled very slowly, We believe if this procedure was done 3 months ago when he was stronger he may have been a better candidate for this surgery. He had a strong will to live as you know.

The Hospital which handled his care could only operate within its own means. It is greatly over-extended. We did appreciate the help we received to stabilize and make him comfortable. The nursing staff were attentive & thorough, but they are still limited to what could be done. The physicians should have been this way.

Doug became morbidly obese,was diabetic, had leaking heart valves and this made his illness a difficult challenge. They gave him dietary requirement and he followed them. I could see the weight loss but the damn scale did not show it.

The fluids that build up cause so much discomfort on the legs and pulmonary system. Diuretics become a major part for relief. Over time it became less effective and caused its own side effects; such as leg cramps and stomach cramps from kidney strain. We then treated these symptoms with Potassium but increased the doseage of the Diuretic. The kidney will become lazy and unable to function on its own. The drug becomes ineffective and then dialysis becomes another option. This creates more hospital visits, more problems to treat, more doctors with opinions and more delays. Shortness of breath and loss of strength will set in, it will become difficult to get around.

This web page was one of Doug's last requests. If you are so inclined, please make a donation in Doug's honor so that the American Heart Association may continue to help others with similar problems.

I have lost my husband and friend. He was the only person who believed in me. He was willing to guide me through life. He accepted all my annoying lttle quirks. He was willing and very vocal with corrective advice whether I liked it or not. It was how he handled it, gingerly but honest. He always tried to offer suggestions, and options to heighten my awareness. He was usually correct. Doug was raised by his mom. She always found the best and smartest way to do something and it rubbed off on Doug. He always worked hard to find a way that made our lives happy, full of fun, comfortable and secure. The Marine Corps instilled in him the methodical, logical way he conducted himself throughout life.

I will miss having him here and his zest for life. Doug has given me a lifetime of memories to draw from and wisdom to make good choices throughout my life. He liked fishing, pool and poker and enjoyed the people who became his friends while doing these things. This is a tribute to Doug, my hero.

I LOVE YOU MAN.

Barbara

Bigtruck

Capt Diff Lock
Gold Member
Silver Member
Guest Book

If you would like, you may add your name and a short message to our Guest Book. Thank you.

Sign the Guest Book

mcat from rec.antiques
Wed, May 20, 2009
To Doug's family and friends:
I only knew him from rec.antiques. I don't know any of you. I don't know if you will get comfort from the sadness of strangers over your loss, but I hope so.

Barbara Winslow
Mon, May 18, 2009
Hi everyone, I Wanted to post here and thank everyone for their continuing support for all the fond memories you have shared with me about Doug.
I miss him terribly and have my moments. Some of the moments are worse then others. Some happen in places when I did not even expect that it would. I've tried to get out the house and be with people but my emotions are all over the place and ruin it. It is just not fun, it doesn't matter. People that were not involved don't want to be around complacent people. Even the people who were on the outskirts looking in tell you that you have to move on. I guess I am in the anger stage at this time. I am angry he is not here with me. I am angry with the VA for not taking the chance for us. I am angry that Doug did not handle this the way I wanted to, all because of the lack of ins coverage on him. I would have had him in the hospital where they did his original surgery. Doug called the shots all the way to the end.
Please know I appreciate every donation and kind word. I would love to hear more from everyone. Thank you,
Barbara = Mrs. Smorg

Kris Baker
Sun, May 17, 2009
Damn.
Who's going to kick rec.antiques in the butt, when we need it?
Who's going to appraise everything at $100 (and make it sound so realistic that everyone can imagine the newbie running down the street yelling "yay!")?
Who can make us laugh so hard?
Who can make us cry.
Doug.
I miss ya, guy.
Barb, you caught a good one.

Janice Hudnall, Virginia
Sun, May 17, 2009
I don't the the color of Doug's eyes of hair. I dont know if he was short or tall, slim or robust. I dont know any of the usual things upon which relationships are based. I do know that he had a kind heart and a WICKED sense of humor! I feel like I've lost a close friend....

Jon Dennington
Sun, May 17, 2009
Sorry to hear we've lost Doug. We knew about him here in the UK, thanks to the internet. I nearly died last year and had to give up drinking for ever...I remember his comments about "no more beer"!!!!
Best regards to his friends and family.

Ronnie McKinley
Sun, May 17, 2009
A sad loss to his family and friends and a big loss to all his many internet pals.
Doug was a guy with a big character and loads of passion, his wit and insight was always displyed in his writings. His input to the internet community will be hard to replace but hopefully the Usenet archive will be his living testimonial.
I never met the man but over the course of 10 or more years communicated with him. Where ever you are, my friend, RIP.

Marshall Schuon
Sun, May 17, 2009
Oh, this is so bad, such a shock. Doug was a great -- and funny -- friend to all of us here at rec.antiques. Ah, me.

mary ann
Sat, May 16, 2009
I remember how many times you made me smile. You will be missed by many.

T-13
Sat, May 16, 2009
I loved Doug. He was my friend.

Mike Wilcox
Sat, May 16, 2009
Hi Barbara,
I just found out today of Doug's death and on behalf of the newsgroup Rec.Antiques I send my condolences. I never met Doug, but bantered back and forth with him off and on at Rec. antiques since about 1997.
He was a regular fixture here and will be missed.

Bigtruck

Capt Diff Lock
Gold Member
Silver Member
Bob Enslow (aka cmbwsu)
Thu, Apr 09, 2009
I have been sort of down and out lately (overworked) -- I thought of you in the middle of a very hectic situation today, smiled, put things in perspective, started thinking more positive, am back on track and to came and make another post here to say -- Thanks Smorg!

chevybob aka Bob Pizarro
Fri, Mar 27, 2009
Doug made a solid positive impact on this world with his ability to make people smile. I will miss him in AZ.

DRW
Wed, Mar 25, 2009
Man, you made me laugh a lot. Thanks! I' sure you are in a better place now.

Mark (Ragbug74)
Wed, Mar 25, 2009
Although I never met Doug in person, through his postings on AZBilliards I felt I "knew" him pretty well. His wit and wisdom will be missed by all.

Fast Lenny
Wed, Mar 25, 2009
Hey Smorg,I hope all is well where you are at and your not laughing to hard at us since your doing much better then we are right now.I really enjoyed your company and hope to one day run into you again,your one of a kind.

bigg7 harold gruhlke
Tue, Mar 24, 2009
Smorg always had funny and insightful things to say and i will miss his precence on AZ greatly. GOD BLESS YOU AND KEEP YOU

Larry Maes (secretsquirrel)
Tue, Mar 24, 2009
I had to tell my wife the day we were leaving for the BCA regionals that Doug was gone. I almost waited until we got home but, I knew that she would want to know right away. She always liked the way Doug could put things into perspective and, he will be sorely missed by many.
I am truly sorry for your loss Barbara.
Lawrence M. Maes

Joseph Morin
Tue, Mar 24, 2009
Smorgie you will definitely never be forgotten. Thanks for all the wonderful memories.

Ron Cook
Tue, Mar 24, 2009
Barbra, life goes by so quick and we
will miss dearly the friends we loose, family members and spouses when they are no longer with us but there is HOPE In The End! When you get a chance please visit: http://www.showtimemall.net/inthelastdays.html
Thank you Doug for sharing your life with us, and may peace come to you Barbara & Doug's extended family in this time of loss.

Fsarfino
Tue, Mar 24, 2009
Semper fi, Brother.
You were a great resource to AZB forums and the sport of pool you will be missed.

eezbank
Tue, Mar 24, 2009
You will be missed by many. Thanks for all the great posts on the forums.

eezbank
Tue, Mar 24, 2009

Bigtruck

Capt Diff Lock
Gold Member
Silver Member
Ed at Playpool
Tue, Mar 24, 2009
I was truly privileged to have known Smorgie through the internet for more than 10 years, and to have met him a few times in person including at the famous Rack's tournament in Titusville. He was a big supporter of http://playpool.com and I consider him a true friend. We will always remember you Doug.

BigDogatLarge
Tue, Mar 24, 2009
My thoughts and prayers are with you Barbara. I can't imagine your loss. Please take comfort from all of us, in that we miss him as well.
Dwight

JOHN HENDERSON
Mon, Mar 23, 2009
YOUR HUMOR LEFT YOUR MARK ON ALL OF US

Dan Melvin
Mon, Mar 23, 2009
God bless

cowboyup200560 A.K.A. John Van Cleave
Mon, Mar 23, 2009
My thought and prayers are with you Barbra, and to you Smorgie...... I need the 7 LOL.
We all miss you man.

$TAKE HOR$E
Mon, Mar 23, 2009
Always liked reading your posts, Wish I would have been on AZ sooner.

Todd Riley - TX Poolnut
Mon, Mar 23, 2009
Thank you for setting up this page Barbara. May God bless you and yours as much as Doug blessed all of us.

Dave Gross "12Squared"
Mon, Mar 23, 2009
Barbara,
Smorgie was a great communicator and had the rare ability to touch all of our lives, whether we have met him or not. As much pleasure as Doug must have received posting on AZB forum, the true pleasure was ours. His wit, humor and knowing just what to say at the right time, is a gift...and Doug used his gift to the fullest. Even to the end.
We know how much he loved you and now we know how much you loved him. We are so sorry for your loss, but many thanks for sharing Doug with us. "Rep" to you!
Dave

Jeffrey Georges (McKinneyMiner)
Mon, Mar 23, 2009
Rest in Peace Smorg...
Barbara - May the Lord give you the strength to carry on with time spent with Doug as a wonderful memory...

1on1pooltournys
Mon, Mar 23, 2009
Smorgie will be missed. Thanks for the reps and work on your 1 pocket break up there! :)

Dave Segal (SpiderWebComm)
Mon, Mar 23, 2009
You will forever be the source of our laughs, our keeper of the spice and our #1.
Wherever you are, I'd bet you're on the rail watching your favorite players - probably sharking them with your jokes ;-)
We miss you Smorg-

Bigtruck

Capt Diff Lock
Gold Member
Silver Member
Eric.
Mon, Mar 23, 2009
Doug/Smorg & Barbara, Though I never met Doug, I feel like I've known him a little, through his posts. I love people with a good sense of humor and Doug was one funny dude. Thanks to the Pool forums and RSB, a little bit of Doug will be saved forever.

Jackson (AZB)
Mon, Mar 23, 2009
I tried to find another word other than "miss" to convey how I am and will continue feeling about Doug - but I can't - it's four little letters that in the end say it all - the humor - the "cats" - the insight - and the daily little ray of sunshine - all are the things I will "miss" when it comes to Doug - take care Smorg - Jackson

David Leis aka "str8poolbanger"
Mon, Mar 23, 2009
Doug,
May your family have all the support they need in your passing. I can honestly say that although we never saw eye to eye back on the RSB boards, I ALWAYS looked forward to your humor on the boards. God Speed my internet friend.
Rest In Peace

Bob Campbell
Mon, Mar 23, 2009
Doug- the internet will never be the same. You had me laughing early on the newsgroup RSB. Peace to you, and condolences to Barbara.

Milo (Andrea Saenz Maes)
Mon, Mar 23, 2009
Doug,
You always made me smile. Im always going to miss you wicked wit.
Stay Cool,
A

Steven P. Waldon
Mon, Mar 23, 2009
Doug/Smorg, you will be missed.

Jim AKA metallicane
Mon, Mar 23, 2009
RIP Doug, you will be sorely missed. A sense of humor is the greatest trait a person can have and you were the best.

Matt Thompson, AKA KoolKat9Lives
Mon, Mar 23, 2009
Barbara,
I hope you're doing well as can be expected and finding much good in life. AZBers are taking pride in doing what we can to immortalize your man Smorg! We all miss him. Thanks for everything you've done to keep us connected. You're in our thoughts and prayers.
Truly,
Matt
~>*(((><)))*<~

AZB member - IA8baller
Mon, Mar 23, 2009
May you rest in peace Smorg.

BB- AZB
Mon, Mar 23, 2009
Bless you Mrs.Alan Douglas Winslow. Our hearts go out to you.
We will miss our Smorg.
http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=134154

DoubleDave
Mon, Mar 23, 2009
RIP Doug, you will not be forgotten.

Sev
Mon, Mar 23, 2009
Doug will be sorely missed by all those that knew him. He will live on in all our memories. It is the most lasting tribute that we can give to the man that made so many of us smile.
Remember all the good times. For in our laughter Doug will live on in our hearts.
My most sincere condolences on your loss.
Mark Severson.

Jack (breaknrun)
Mon, Mar 23, 2009
Take care Smorg.

Bigtruck

Capt Diff Lock
Gold Member
Silver Member
Chris (Gunzby)
Mon, Mar 23, 2009
Doug will be truly missed. He seemed to value making a person smile or laugh which is something that this world needs a whole lot more of.
The fact that I see so many people being sad and missing Doug is a wonderful thing. Everyone should strive to touch so many people's lives in a positive way as Doug apparently has to see a result such as this.
I put a great quote from the newspaper which is my signature, but also very appropriate here.
"Life is not about how many times your heart beats, but about how many things make your heart skip a beat."

anybody
Mon, Mar 23, 2009
Me deepest condolences to Mrs. Winslow and family for the lost of a loved one. And I am sadden also for the lost of a member of our globally connected community. I never met the man only laughed and thought about his takes on the internet and the events we viewed through streaming together. His login name alone made you smile Spotasuaras. I hope they have streaming in heaven. Some day I hope to be logged in again while in heaven and share LOLs. You are missed.

Chin0
Sun, Mar 22, 2009
I have never had the pleasure to meet Doug, or as we know him on the AZB forum as Smorgie. From what all have said on the forum, Doug is a very loveble person, and as part of this great community, I am here to show my respect to Doug. From reading his posts, it made me smile and laugh until tears ran down my face. I am sure he is in a better place now, making everyone laugh and smile as them embrace him into our dear Lord's arms. Take car Barbara.
Chin0

jimmyg
Fri, Mar 20, 2009
What can I add about how Smorg touched me, or how much I feel for and miss him that hasn't been already said by so many others.
I posted the following message to Doug while he was in the hospital, he was always an inspiration to all. "Doug, you are one of the most truly amazing, and joyful people that I have ever had the pleasure of knowing. I still laugh at the mere thought of some of your posts, and marvel at the complexity of others. I have been honored and privileged to have you in my life.
I will continue to think of and pray for you, hoping against hope that fate will turn in your favor.
Thank you, Good luck, and God bless you, my friend".
I know that sometime in the future I will share a laugh, a drink, and shoot a few racks with Smorg.
God bless you Barbara, Doug's family, and all his friends.
Jim

Yancey
Wed, Mar 18, 2009
Barb,
Smorg will live forever in the hearts of those of us that knew him! The very first rep in joining this board was from Smorg. He put a smile on so many as you can see. I will always have fond memories when I look at my first message from him.
WE LOVE YOU MAN!
Yancey

Brady Valentino (BVal)
Tue, Mar 17, 2009
Barbara,
My thoughts are with you and your family. I have never met you or Doug but throughout my years on the forum I found great respect for Doug. I never thought I could cry for the loss of someone I have never actually met in person (but I did).
Doug touched many hearts and even more funny bones :). He will be forever missed.

Rex Goulet aka:Cyrex
Tue, Mar 17, 2009
I never got to meet Doug in person but one of my first 'Green Reps' came from Doug about a joke we shared together. Over time I watched him resolve issues with laughter, deal out some gentle lessons of self-humility, and win the respect and friendship from those, like me, who never even met the man. That sure say's a lot about the man's character. Thank you Smorg for the laughter.. peace be with you and yours.

Bigtruck

Capt Diff Lock
Gold Member
Silver Member
Ross Krmpotich(Rossaroni)
Tue, Mar 17, 2009
Doug will surely be missed. He brighted many people's days. I think I speak for most on AZ that you were always in for a treat when Doug posted something. RIP Doug

The Basile Family
Mon, Mar 16, 2009
With our deepest sympathy. Our hearts are breaking for you. Our prayers are ongoing to help you find the strength, WHICH YOU HAVE, to get throuhg this time of mourning.WE ARE ALL THERE FOR YOU!
Love Sal, Maria, Nicholas and Michael.

SJDinPHX
Mon, Mar 16, 2009
No one brightened more days, with his wit and humor than our Smorgie.
So shed a few tears, and remember a life well spent.
Life will go on...but it damn sure won't be as much fun without Doug.
Dick Mc Morran

omgwtf
Mon, Mar 16, 2009
I never had a chance to meet you in life, but I know we would have got along very well. Thanks for all your wit and support. :)

Paul Cobb AKA Darth
Sun, Mar 15, 2009
Doug gave me my first rep for a stupid joke I posted in NPR. I have always enjoyed what he had to say and the way he said it. Smorgie, we are truely missing you. There is a huge void in the space you used to occupy but your spirit will always be with us.

Shane "Cuephoric"
Sun, Mar 15, 2009
Although I never really had the opportunity to meet him, I enjoyed chatting with him on AZ, finding his posts and the memories and laughter that they invariably brought to all of us.
He brought inspiration to a great number of us over the years, and have no doubts that he will continue to do so.
He truly was the "spice" of the AZ life, and to a great many others outside of it, I would imagine.
His unexpected messages in my inbox were always in perfect timing with a much appreciated sense of humor.
I miss him, without ever really getting the chance to meet him, and feel honored to have been granted a glimpse into his life.
You are in my family's prayers, and Doug's message will be spread.
God Bless.
Semper Fi,
Shane "Cuephoric" Johnson

Steven Dunham AKA beav99_4life
Sun, Mar 15, 2009
Smorg gave me the first rep points I ever received on AZbilliards, and his comments were always warm and funny. His humour and presence are already missed. My heartfelt condolences go out to his family and closest friends. Thanks for all the laughs buddy.

An amazing person...
Sat, Mar 14, 2009
Unfortunately for me and many others, I never had the pleasure of meeting Doug face to face. But event with that being said, his words were enough to brighten any day for me. He always came at things from a 4th angle that you never knew existed, and that's one of the things that made him so special. Thank you Barbara for sharing your husband with us. I was once told that one's self worth is determined not by assets, bank accounts and material but by the positive effect one has had on other people. We are all truly blessed to have known him, if only through some electronic bits transfered all over the world.
Joshua Johnson (Dagwoodz)

Jason Day (Snookerd)
Fri, Mar 13, 2009
Rest in peace my friend... you will truly be missed. And my best wishes to all his family through these tough times.

Karla Chorny (lady9ball)
Thu, Mar 12, 2009
What a great tribute to a unique and remarkable man! Thank you, Barbara, not only for sharing your thoughts with us, but for sharing your husband with us all these years.
If anyone happens across this page and wonders what is going on, please go to the forums at http://azbilliards.com and search for posts by Smorgass Bored. There will be enough there to thoroughly entertain and amaze you for hours, maybe days.
Take care, Barbara, and please continue to share with us.

Bigtruck

Capt Diff Lock
Gold Member
Silver Member
Barbara Winslow (Smorg' wife) AKA "The Barbarachnid"
Thu, Mar 12, 2009
I wanted to post my own message because I want to be in the midst of all of you kind and loving people. I have enjoyed reading everything you have said. All have pegged Doug to a T.
I will love him forever, as I was reminded in one of the entries, and that can't ever be removed from me. This was a man who was skeptical to re-marry for fear it would not work out again. It did not help having people say that I was so much younger then Doug. I lived with my parents til the time we did marry which was shortly after my 30th birthday. We did the roller coaster in the beginning trying to get use to each other. I take most I the blame for that, trying to get used to being 1 with him and not 1 alone. We overcame all those annoyances and developed into an us. Doug would tell me on a daily basis "I love you man" and for years longer then the new movie that's come out recently.
I loved to have him go play pool and cards because from the day I met him he did both. I enjoyed the excitement and skill of the sport. I would sit for hours on end and watch and root for him in a pool match or in a tourney. I was very lucky to be able to sit behind him and others when he played cards, I valued that people liked me and I never gave away the privacy of all the hands I was allowed to view. This was how I learned. Doug went on to teach me many of life's lessons, some were the ones he gave me just days before this happened. It is the reason I am doing as well as I am today plus my friends have been beside with calls of caring, hugs and support.
I will post again at a different time as there is so much to tell.

Donna
Thu, Mar 12, 2009
Doug will be missed on http://AZBilliards.com
He was an amazing giver of laughter and spice. :)
We wish his family well and condolences.
Mike Howerton and Donna from AZB

Vetria Howell
Thu, Mar 12, 2009
To Doug, you were a most kind,caring,concerned, attentive and treasured neighbor. I will miss you greatly, but I know you are at peace and in a much, much better place.
To Barbara, I will be available for you at any time and for whatever. I am only a phone call away. You truly have a friend and neighbor in me.
I can not express the true joy it has been having you both for neighbors for so long. Although things have changed a bit for both of us, I know I will always have BOTH of you near. Always. Vetria

Arnot Wadsworth
Thu, Mar 12, 2009
Hi Barbara:
I will always rememger Doug. He encouraged me as a cuemaker when I first started and continued to help me for many years. I will rememger his humor, his visits to my shop and home, our time at Planet 9 Ball and the many stories he told me when we were together.
There is a big hole in my heart.
If there is anything I can do to help please call me.
Arnie

hi Barb...
Thu, Mar 12, 2009
i am a friend of Doug's...
thank you for you words.
your heart is as i expected being Doug's wife.
i think you are a so lucky to have such a wonderful husband!
i know there are beginnings and endings, but there are also "forevers"; and they are the best part of life; i want to wish you the love of "forever"!
all the best;
miles "smokey" lamstein

Chris (TorranceChris) Wedekind
Thu, Mar 12, 2009
Barbara,my deepest condolences in the passing of your loved partner. Thanks for sharing him with all of us here at the forum; we were fortunate to have known him through his typed words.
--Chris.

Bob Enslow (aka cmbwsu)
Thu, Mar 12, 2009
Barbara, Family, @ Friends,
I have met/chatted with literally thousands of people on line over the years -- non of which could come anywhere near Doug in terms of wit, integrity, and character. I have marveled over his knowledge of pool and ability to translate same in such a way that it was readily understood by all levels of play - from the novice to the very highest level. His uncanny ability to take a heated thread and put things in proper perspective with a simple one/two liner post had no (and will never have an) equal! When the Big Fish came into a post, the Little Fish listened and became better because of it -- not just in terms of pool but in terms of betterment as a person as well. I will not be able to post on AZ Billiards, go fishing or play/teach pool ever again without thinking of Smorg and thanking the Lord for his presents in my life.
Barbara: God bless and comfort you. Thank-you for sharing The Master with us.

Ade Brooks (chilli66)
Wed, Mar 11, 2009
To see so many people from so many places sharing their thoughts of Doug speaks volumes about the man. If there is such a thing as an internet legend then surely he is one. Sadly, that is the only way I knew him. I wish I could have known him better & for far longer.
My condolences & best wishes go to his family & all who knew him. He will be missed by many.

John Barton
Wed, Mar 11, 2009
Doug was a constant source of humor and irritation. He could inject just the right zing to any conversation. Very sharp and funny guy.
To many of us in the online pool forums Doug was that secret ingredient that added just the right flavor and made an otherwise unremarkable experience something unique.
To me Doug exemplified what the internet is supposed to be about. Here is a man who took his interests and through them was able to communicate his humor and skewed view of the world to tens of thousands, no hundreds of thousands, and really maybe millions of people. He didn't need a pulpit, he espoused no left-wing, right wing, or any other wing, in fact he prefered the whole bird and mashed potatoes right beside it.
He was just one of those guys whose one liners could make your day. I had developed a habit of looking at anything he wrote even if wasn't in a conversation that I was not intersted in because I was sure that whatever he said would be funny.
And it always was. Goodbye Smorg. At least I have the comfort of knowing that I will occassionally come across the things you wrote and still get another dose of your humor.

Leonard Holmes
Wed, Mar 11, 2009
This is poolcuemaster from AZ and allthough I never met Doug it is like he has been a lifelong friend, we both enjoyed the same three things for hobbys. We also both have a great women to share life with so may God bless the familys.--Leonard

Bill Jackson (AKA Billy jack)
Wed, Mar 11, 2009
Sincere condolences and prayers for your loss. Though I never met Doug, his personality shined bright in his witty and often disarming posts. Take comfort in that he's now in a better place.

Roger Orsulak
Wed, Mar 11, 2009
Barbara:
This is a beautiful tribute to Doug. Know that he'll always be there to guide (and chide) you.
Roger

Mark Griffin
Wed, Mar 11, 2009
Doug was 'one of a kind' and will be missed by many. His humor and insight were remarkeable. My sympathies go out to Barbara. Godspeed, my friend.

Jimmy-leggs
Wed, Mar 11, 2009
For a man I have never met before,he sure put a smile on my face for 3 years.His witty sense of humor and kindness will never be forgotten.My deepest condolences to his family and friends.

Bigtruck

Capt Diff Lock
Gold Member
Silver Member
Dave Wilson
Wed, Mar 11, 2009
Doug, as I knew him was always a bright spot in the message boards he frequented. Always a twist or play on a word, just enough to make you smile at almost every post he made.

He left 'em laughing.

Godspeed my friend.

Joe Giammarino(AKA jgpool)
Wed, Mar 11, 2009
Barbara,
My condolences are with you and Doug's loved ones. He touched my being with nothing more than a computer font and his wit and humor. I will never forget his AZB friendship. Be strong and hold on to all those memories.

Ron Seymour aka rigmaster
Wed, Mar 11, 2009
Barbara I hate it, NO MORE SMORG,I'm glad he was here and a strong willed man,allowing us to be with him longer!He was AZ.I will keep him on top till I run out of posts to rep! Ron

Brian Keller aka Brian in VA
Wed, Mar 11, 2009
I hope your pain lessens quickly Barbara. Doug was the funniest person that I've never met. I began laughing at his musings about 3 years ago and I would always look for his posts, especially when I had a bad day. He made me want to be a better person and I can't think of a finer tribute to any man than that.
We'll hold him and you in our hearts and his words will carry on for a long time.
Be well.

James Sward
Wed, Mar 11, 2009
Business, financial, national leaders are often tauted as heroes but... imo, what they contribute is tiny compared to the good that comes to all who are touched by the person who has the gift of being able to make others smile and even laugh. Those who have that gift, and choose to use it despite their own hardships, are the real heroes and are the ones who make life better for all of us.
I'm grateful I got to be influenced by Doug. He brightened many days in my life
JimS

Bill O'Connell
Wed, Mar 11, 2009
Barb, you'll come over when we get down there in May and we'll go to Crabby Bills, have a few dozen oysters, and some suds in Dougs honor.

dolphins1972
Wed, Mar 11, 2009
god bless and may you have the strenth which doug left to you.

MARCUS (FAST_N_LOOSE)
Wed, Mar 11, 2009
MY CONDOLENCES AND THOUGHTS GO OUT TO YOU BARBARA. I'M VERY SORRY FOR YOUR LOSS, AND PRAY FOR YOU IN THESE HARD TIMES.

JesPiddlin
Wed, Mar 11, 2009
God bless Smorgass Bored and everyone who's life he touched. He gave us laughter and love and was a wonderful role model to all who knew him. If all of us could just find the light in the darkness, the happy in the sad, the hopeful in the lost..... He always knew the right thing to say to save the day... and make you lose your drink all over the keyboard and monitor!
Barbara....As someone else said, thank you for sharing Doug with us. You will be in our thoughts and prayers.
What a beautiful tribute to a wonderful man!

Mark (Mark0) McCauley
Wed, Mar 11, 2009
Best wishes to you Barbara in this time of loss. A wise person taught me this about loss: It will never hurt less, but eventually it will hurt less often.
Warm regards,
Mark0

RIBDONER, aka adam
Wed, Mar 11, 2009
Barbara,
My condolences on your loss and thanks for sharing DOUG with us.
Sincerely, Adam

Bigtruck

Capt Diff Lock
Gold Member
Silver Member
Grindz
Wed, Mar 11, 2009
Barbara,
My prayers have been with Smorgie and you, and will remain with you for strength and peace.
I know for a fact that... when you let go of the pain, the love will remain, it may be difficult in this time of transition but the colors will come back into your sunsets, Doug STILL believes in you, and the 'friend of a friend is a friend'!
Works and words of support are just a few keystrokes away.
Sincerely,
Tim

Michael
Wed, Mar 11, 2009
Barbara,
I extend my deepest sympathy for your loss.
Doug impressed a lot of people during his life. The world has lost a great person, and he will be missed.

Bigtruck
Wed, Mar 11, 2009
Barbara,
Thank you so much for sharing! Doug touched so many with his wit and humor. I am making the American Heart Association a regular contribution in honor of Doug.
He has inspred me to excercise and watch what I eat.
I hope that you will stay in touch with us and let us know how you are doing.
Sincerely,
Ray Hansen
aka Bigtruck

JAM a/k/a Jennie
Wed, Mar 11, 2009
My deepest sympathy to Barbara, Doug's family, and all of his MANY, MANY, MANY friends.
Smorgie, I will miss you always. Rest in peace, my friend!

Joey Aguzin
Wed, Mar 11, 2009
Barbara,
You already know how all of the AZ Billiards community feels about Doug.
We also want you to know that you are also in our thoughts and prayers and that "we'll be keeping an eye on you".
Best Regards,
Joey Aguzin (JoeyA)

Bigtruck

Capt Diff Lock
Gold Member
Silver Member
Fellow AZers,

I'm kicking this up to the front page so more will get a chance to read about our buddy, the Legend, Smorgie.

Ray
(he's gone, but not forgotten!)

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member
It certainly is a good read, but the thing that surprised me was how many forum members who were big supporters never signed it:confused:, it is really a shame, but some one needed to say it!!!!!:shrug:

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
hard to say

It certainly is a good read, but the thing that surprised me was how many forum members who were big supporters never signed it:confused:, it is really a shame, but some one needed to say it!!!!!:shrug:

Craig,

Hard to say that they never signed the guest book. I was an early signer and it disappeared. I wasn't sure if my message would reappear or not so I never tried again. Doug knows, I feel pretty sure Barbara knows, that is good enough for me. Others may have signed and not realized that their messages disappeared.

Hu

sde

Silver Member

There are other ways to give respect than signing a public guest book.

Everyone has there own way of doing things so please show a little respect for those choose a different way.

Steve

Bigtruck

Capt Diff Lock
Gold Member
Silver Member

Everyone has there own way of doing things so please show a little respect for those choose a different way.

Steve

One more point too.........This is ONLY the guest book from the American Heart Association. The guest book from Doug's obituary page has been archived I believe.

I thought it was cool that Doug was also highly regarded in the antique forum too!

That rascal was two timing us! LOL

Ray

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member

Steve

There may certainly be other ways of showing respect, but signing a Guest Book is designed to give condolences to those who survive him. While many may not know them, or have the ability to reach out in other ways signing a guest Book is the simplest form of showing respect and support there is. My comments stand, and I am sorry if they effect your concept of things but oh well, I will also add if the shoe fits wear it.

So please save the comments!!!!!!;)

Very Repsectfully

Craig W. Rittel

Last edited:

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member
Craig,

Hard to say that they never signed the guest book. I was an early signer and it disappeared. I wasn't sure if my message would reappear or not so I never tried again. Doug knows, I feel pretty sure Barbara knows, that is good enough for me. Others may have signed and not realized that their messages disappeared.

Hu

I would suspect that there is only so much room for storge HU, once the memory capacity is reached it will dump the oldest message to make room for the new one.

Take care HU

Bigtruck

Capt Diff Lock
Gold Member
Silver Member

Steve

Boys,Boys.......Let's just agree that neither of you considered ALL the possibilities that led to your feelings & thoughts.

I was surprised the same way Craig was by the VERY low number of people that honored Doug's final wish, which was to contribute to the American Heart Association...... But, like Steve suggested, people pay their respects in different ways.

Ray
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nh33bGAxl58 (I'm the one on the right, many times! LOL)

Reactions: sde