Schmidt video release November

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry, US residents only. The plan apparantly is to have as few people see it as possible. The private showings will be held in secret locations (primarily rented storage units) and attendees will be searched for cameras before being issued a metal folding chair.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I'm not sure what to make of the "private" viewing. Maybe I'm missing something.

Either way, I hope the video is made either ppv, one time purchase or as an advertising video by predator, techno dud, taom etc...etc...

At some point, I believe it will be released as a one-time purchase.

Jeff

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
if this is because of concerns about copyright infringement it's just paranoid and stupid. yea pool players are cheap but they're also lazy, they won't travel to whereever to watch a 4hr solo run. most people would probably buy it if it was on vimeo

he should sell it to accustats, because it's clear he can't handle this himself

Yes I am afraid that if this is a true statement from Mr Schmidt, then he has gone full paranoid. If he doesn’t release the video for free or at least available to own at a reasonable price then I think he will alienate every person that has watched his runs and paid attention to him during his quest for the record.

No one will move heaven and earth to see the video. They will just move on and curse johns name in an angry mutter whenever something reminds them of him. Some may even go full dh

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Per John's FB
https://imgur.com/ZH9Q1pg

I've only seen my 626 once on film. I'll say this , that run that day was a blur but after watching it omg. So many times I'm in huge trouble and would bet high run ends if I didn't know better. It looks like late Nov people will see it for first time. I'm booking private showings and I'll be there. That way it's not pirated or copied. It's only way that lets people see it without losing ownership of it. I already have a private party I'm showing it at.should be fun.

END

Well, that makes absolutely no sense.

No one is going to pay him to come out to their pool room and have people sit through a video of a 600 ball run. So from a revenue generating point of view it's a non-starter.

So then you have ask: is he really that concerned (read paranoid) about pirating? Personally, I just don't see that a a valid concern. In the first place the run itself is of interest only to a very tiny sliver of the pool playing populace. IOWs, it wouldn't be worth the time and effort to copy and distribute it in the first place because the market is so small.

So then you have to ask yourself: is there another reason for controlling viewing of the run so tightly?

Lou Figueroa

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No, I don't think you 'have to ask' anything further than if he really thinks the reward is money.

Well, that makes absolutely no sense.

No one is going to pay him to come out to their pool room and have people sit through a video of a 600 ball run. So from a revenue generating point of view it's a non-starter.

So then you have ask: is he really that concerned (read paranoid) about pirating? Personally, I just don't see that a a valid concern. In the first place the run itself is of interest only to a very tiny sliver of the pool playing populace. IOWs, it wouldn't be worth the time and effort to copy and distribute it in the first place because the market is so small.

So then you have to ask yourself: is there another reason for controlling viewing of the run so tightly?

Lou Figueroa

Poolhall60561

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ll just watch one of my old John Schmidt’s DVD with his commentary a few times until I get to 626

Pete

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hopefully John can turn the viewing into giving seminars the following day to make some $$$.

I would love to see it/own it but won't travel more than say 50 miles and the price would need to be low enough to compensate. To own the DVD I'd pay up to $50. More than that is to much for me...

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
I've chatted with him a little bit in the thread and via PM.

Yes, he's concerned with piracy, he figures as soon as one copy is out,
it's effectively all over the internet. I think he underestimates how many people will
pay for it out of honesty, laziness, or because the amount of money is too small to fuss over,
or due to lack of piracy savvy.

He has a minimum number in mind for the rights to the video,
and apparently it's over $10,000 because he's been offered that and turned it down (according to him).

I mentioned that this private showing thing is a drag, because it means I have to hope
he wants to travel 3000 miles so a pool hall within 3 hours drive, and then I get to watch
it exactly one time, on somebody else's schedule.

His reply was: "I'm sorry brother. the pool industry doesn't mind us pool players making minimum wage
so I have a chance to recoup the 10,000 I spent breaking record.
hopefully somebody just buys the rights and puts it out there"

slach

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like straight pool a lot and would love to see this video. I'd snatch up a set of DVDs or a BlueRay pretty fast for around $50, though a private viewing or pay-per-view doesn't sound at all appealing to me. I like the idea of supporting this accomplishment long as the price doesn't overreach.

Yep, once released digitally there'll be pirate copies floating around, no way I know of to avoid that. But, I think a little more trust in the integrity of straight pool players may surprise John in how many would be legitimately sold.

Would you buy one for $50? How many overall do you think would sell in a couple years? Only need to sell 200 @ $50 to get to $10,000, seems pretty doable to me

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
john gives about the same impression here as i got from a recent interview with him, self-absorbed and slightly behind his time. cinemas are closing down for a reason. if he doesn't feel comfortable (or capable) in streaming it on demand, he should sell it to someone who has that competence.

i wonder how sought after he believes his four hour solo play is. because there are very few straight pool videos on youtube with high viewing numbers. the only one with high numbers is an efren reyes video. in fact most pool videos with high numbers are efren vids, so efren is clearly in demand - yet few of efren's PPV/dvd matches are pirated and floating around

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

it's effectively all over the internet. I think he underestimates how many people will
pay for it out of honesty, laziness, or because the amount of money is too small to fuss over,

and apparently it's over $10,000 because he's been offered that and turned it down (according to him).

I mentioned that this private showing thing is a drag, because it means I have to hope
he wants to travel 3000 miles so a pool hall within 3 hours drive, and then I get to watch

His reply was: "I'm sorry brother. the pool industry doesn't mind us pool players making minimum wage

He turned down $10,000?

What does he think he has? The Zapruder film?

Lou Figueroa

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

ok, that clears up some questions. well, someone better buy the rights because this one man cinema business model won't yield him much monetary reward

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
...efren is clearly in demand - yet few of efren's PPV/dvd matches are pirated and floating around

That deserves to be highlighted. Its a fact that is far more telling than damn near anything else having to do with the matter.

Only change to your statement: increase the font size and bold it up.

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
He may make tens, even hundreds of dollars off of this!
Meanwhile, this run-of-the-mill match has been viewed 20 thousand times on YouTube
in 15 hours: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pz39J-jwUys

To clear up a common misconception, Youtube is almost certainly not gonna pay him
what he's looking for.

The YT pay algorithm is complicated but if you're lucky, you can get $2000-$3000 per million views.
So John would need 3-5 mil. views to even get near his target.

Recent source: https://www.looxcie.com/million-views-youtube-money/

In the entire history of youtube, there are maybe 30 pool videos that cracked 3 million views.
Many of these aren't really relevant to serious (14.1) players... John's target audience.
There's trick shot videos with hot girls, footage from pool video games, a slow-mo photography video
that happens to have pool as the subject, some snooker highlight reels, unboxing of a toy table,
a cute pixar-style animated short with pool balls, a "look at Shanelle's tits" video, etc.

If John got 10x as many views as your example video, he'd make maybe $700.

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
He turned down $10,000?

What does he think he has? The Zapruder film?

Lou Figueroa

I wonder if he’s getting “George rrrr Martin syndrome”

Where everyone only talks to you to find out when your next book or video is coming out so you start feeling assaulted from all sides and like a weenis in winter you retreat inward. Then you start with the “cut off your nose to spite your face” behavior and before you know it everyone is gone and you’re holding back something from no one. I do wonder. But I hope not.

jimmyg

Mook! What's a Mook?
Silver Member
amateur_night-nyc-harlem-1-600x338.jpg

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To clear up a common misconception, Youtube is almost certainly not gonna pay him
what he's looking for.

The YT pay algorithm is complicated but if you're lucky, you can get $2000-$3000 per million views.
So John would need 3-5 mil. views to even get near his target.

Recent source: https://www.looxcie.com/million-views-youtube-money/

In the entire history of youtube, there are maybe 30 pool videos that cracked 3 million views.
Many of these aren't really relevant to serious (14.1) players... John's target audience.
There's trick shot videos with hot girls, footage from pool video games, a slow-mo photography video
that happens to have pool as the subject, some snooker highlight reels, unboxing of a toy table,
a cute pixar-style animated short with pool balls, a "look at Shanelle's tits" video, etc.

If John got 10x as many views as your example video, he'd make maybe $700.
It's not just the raw run itself, which would be likely to become one of the most viewed pool videos on YouTube. It's also the possibility for follow-on content based on the original video.

we've discussed this before though and no need to rehash it. If he isn't confident of the video breaking streaming records then it's a logical decision. I disagree and think there is real potential to make money now and into the long term. Reasonable people can take both sides of that one.

The $50 DVD would certainly make him some money but he seems too scared of piracy to even bank the few thousand that might get. Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Last edited: