Gene Nagy / Luther Lassiter -- CTE

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
http://www.ustream.tv/channel/herman-university-show
June 21st Recording.

OK --- So I was going to Herman University today to watch my class and earn my continuing pool education units. I was watching because I needed a good laugh, but I actually heard some interesting things.

So, after 2 to 3 racks of random shooting, Marty had a "call-in guest" to the University Show. This guy, whose name is Mark, mentions that he spent a lot of time w/ Gene Nagy and took a number of lessons from him.

They spoke about Gene for a good bit, basically calling him a genius at pool (can't argue that). Somewhere between 21 and 22 minutes, Marty asks Mark to talk a little about Gene's method of aiming. Before I say anything, I wanted to mention it didn't sound like Mark spends any time on AZB or message boards just by the way he answered the question.

Mark says that Gene aimed the center of the CB to the edge of the object ball for all shots. He doesn't go into any detail about the exact procedure; however, he continues to say that Gene told him the technique was passed to him from Luther Lassiter (as well as the trademark comment, "Make sure you don't tell anybody").

Of course, this is hearsay and you never really know. If you listen to the conversation, Mark doesn't seem to know how important that claim is. I've always been fascinated with the history of CTE (back to the days of Greenleaf and Hal). If what Mark says is true, it makes you wonder if they all used it back then, just as Hal said.

Not turning this into an "aiming thread." It's just fascinating to learn the history of certain techniques -- as well as the pros who use them.

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Very interesting. It's a shame the real history of CTE will never actually be known. I've heard talk of it being very popular as far back as the 1940's.

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
[[Mark says that Gene aimed the center of the CB to the edge of the object ball for all shots. He doesn't go into any detail about the exact procedure...]]

It is interesting. A pool ball has one continuous surface (edge) so does this mean hit the back of the ball/geometric contact point when using center ball, a.k.a. contact point aim, which method works really well for shots thinner than about a 3/4 fraction hit OR does he mean fire away at one visible edge or "side" of the object ball the way Shane Van Boening does and others...

It helps to define terms like "contact point" and "edge" really carefully. My Aim Primer Series consists of articles showing you these methods and others.

Try them, you may like them, or hit me up by e-mail for a few secrets shared offline that I usually charge for in private lessons.

Last edited:

Bluey2King

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks ! I also enjoyed you posting the clips of Cowboy. I remember seeing that show and watching Cowboy wondering what the hell is he doing. I asked the best pool player at my hall and the best we could come up with was he was hiding where he was going to hit the CB. I see it now and there is no doubt he is just using CTE. Keep posting my friend. I still look at your banking clip that one I still am hit and miss on...but I am way better than I use to be.