Aimming question

wvbilly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was playing the other day with my gf and notice she over cut so many balls it's not funny so after the match I started asking questions and found out she is left eye dominet but she shoots right handed can anyone out there give me some tips to help her. She started playin apa less then a year ago as a 1 and now she's a 4 but there is more for her to learn. I shoot well but I have no ideal where to start to help her with this. So all tips welcome

PGHteacher

John Fischer
Silver Member
I don't think there is such a thing as a "1" and I am not trying to be "smug", "smarta$$ed" or the like but you can help her best by telling her to study the free instructional material online or send her to an instructor.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Is her tendency to overcut shots to the left, to the right, or both?

wvbilly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't play apa so I don't know I just play for the cash. Are they any DVDs out there to help her.

wvbilly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
She over cuts balls on both sides I think she's not seein the angle from her being left eye dominet.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
wvbilly...Dominant eye doesn't necessarily play a role in what problems cause over- or undercutting shots. So, it doesn't matter that your GF is "right handed and left eye dominant (which may or may not be true). I will be in your area in a couple of weeks. If you're interested in getting your GF on the right track, PM me with your contact information.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
i think time with a qualified instructor is alwaya best especially for a beginner
it will give her a foundation in stroke mechanics
and the instructor will be able to tell does she miss because of allignment...stroke not straight ....etc
better to get good hablits than have to unlearn bad ones
just my humble opinon but i feel strongly on this advice

Wileydog

Banned
I was playing the other day with my gf and notice she over cut so many balls it's not funny so after the match I started asking questions and found out she is left eye dominet but she shoots right handed can anyone out there give me some tips to help her. She started playin apa less then a year ago as a 1 and now she's a 4 but there is more for her to learn. I shoot well but I have no ideal where to start to help her with this. So all tips welcome

I assume that's a 4 in 9ball. I would guess it's more of a stroke problem than hand/eye coordination. No matter which eye, you're mind will learn to direct your motion to what you are focused on.

genomachino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The dominant eye runs the whole show...........

Hi there wvbilly,

If your girlfriend is left eye dominant she should have a problem more cutting to the right.

Set up a shot cutting to the right and have her shoot it about 10 times. Then set it up cutting to the left. This shot should be about a 1/4 ball hit. 1/4 of the cue ball needs to hit 1/4 of the object ball.

You'll be surprised to see the results.

The right eye actually does the shooting when we cut to the right and the left does the shooting when we cut to the left. This is easy to see just bey closing one eye or the other.

The problem in the non dominant eye does not do a very good job getting and stay in the perfect position for the shot. Because the non dominant eye is shooting the shot your brain kind of moves your aim and head trying to move this non dominant eye into the dominant position.

Resulting in a not so perfect picture for the brain. If the shot doesn't look right it probably won't go.

This is the way it is for everyone. Every lesson is the same pretty much. Most players know that they have more trouble cutting one way more than the other but don't really know how to fix it.

Give me a call and I'll not only show you how to fix her problem but you will be surprised to see how much it will do for your aim also.

Just call me and be by a table and we'll see what we can do. I do these free Perfect Aim phone lessons. They work. All you need to do is go to the Perfect Aim site and see all the testimonials. All winners.

Even though we do this phone lesson and things might seem to be under control you should still get some one on one instruction from a pro instructor. There is probably one near you.

I see Scott is going to be close to you. Check it out. You won't be disappointed.

Talk to you soon. 715-563-8712 Geno.....

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
AIming ?

See my reply to the 'dominant eye' thread & take whoever it was coming to your area up on some hands on help. Good Luck. Oh you are already lucky. Your girlfriend is playing pool!

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
Joe Tucker was the first person to tell me that everyone has a weak cut side. My weak cut side is to the right (statistically). I never really knew why that was until I purchased his 3rd Eye Trainer, which forced me to see center ball with my left eye. I later learned the details of the "whys" from Gene, who provided tremendous insight.

I'm curious why SPF instructors think dominant eyes / cut directions have no correlation and don't matter. For many players, they clearly do matter. To say they don't matter to 100% of your clients, you're probably not doing 33% of them any favors. I look forward to their comments of why it doesn't matter-- maybe I'm missing something. I keep reading about "just use your vision's center;" however, for many the vision's center is an illusion that looks correct, but is actually a parallax view of reality. I think it can easily be proven with a Colenso-like shot drill in each direction.

I wish a non-SPF instructor like Stan Shuffett or Joe Tucker would chime in as well so we can all have a balanced, insightful conversation.

Last edited:

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
Joe Tucker was the first person to tell me that everyone has a weak cut side. My weak cut side is to the right (statistically). I never really knew why that was until I purchased his 3rd Eye Trainer, which forced me to see center ball with my left eye. I later learned the details of the "whys" from Gene, who provided tremendous insight.

I'm curious why SPF instructors think dominant eyes / cut directions have no correlation and don't matter. For many players, they clearly do matter. To say they don't matter to 100% of your clients, you're probably not doing 33% of them any favors. I look forward to their comments of why it doesn't matter-- maybe I'm missing something. I keep reading about "just use your vision's center;" however, for many the vision's center is an illusion that looks correct, but is actually a parallax view of reality. I think it can easily be proven with a Colenso-like shot drill in each direction.

I wish a non-SPF instructor like Stan Shuffett or Joe Tucker would chime in as well so we can all have a balanced, insightful conversation.

For sure more players have a problem with their alignment- and for sure this also often caused by *not having positioned their vision-center* correctly.

This furthermore an issue (if it is an issue^^) which should be fixed in a 1vs1 session-or the poor guy will selfcorrect him until he will do suicide... :)

It is for sure a bit more complex than many ppl imagine.

lg
Ingo

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member
She really needs to see someone in person to fix this...it MIGHT be vision center alignment, it might JUST AS EASILY be overcompensation with spin or stroke error. Most folks tend to miss thick, not thin, which is a promising thing in her case...she's missing to "the pro side" and that's alot easier to correct than missing thick all the time, which is more difficult to diagnose.

genomachino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I need to say a little more...........

She really needs to see someone in person to fix this...it MIGHT be vision center alignment, it might JUST AS EASILY be overcompensation with spin or stroke error. Most folks tend to miss thick, not thin, which is a promising thing in her case...she's missing to "the pro side" and that's alot easier to correct than missing thick all the time, which is more difficult to diagnose.

If she doesn't have the dominant eye in the correct position and it's way off the mark she can't see at all where she is aiming. it's all a guess.

If the dominant eye isn't in the right position then the right eye is working like the dominant eye a little.

This would cause her to overcut cutting to the left and undercutting to the right.

But it sounds like her eyes are way off the mark.

I could run her through a phone lesson or run you through one first and then her. That way you could see exactly what we are doing.

Trust me when I say I know what I'm doing. I will help you figure this out for sure. It would be kind of fun. Kind of a challenge.

But if you do call me and it works, which it will, keep quiet about it or the thread will get put in the for sale section.

Oh heck, tell whoever you want.

SSSSHHHHHHHHHH:rotflmao1::lol::dance:

Just give me a call when your at a pool table. It would have to be tomorrow between 3:00 and 6:00 central time or anytime Wed.

I'm scheduling lessons on Wed but I don't know when they will be until tomorrow night.

Talk to you soon. geno 715-563-8712 just want to help.............

Last edited:

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
West Point 1987:
Geno the Admachino:
If she doesn't have the dominant eye in the correct position and it's way off the mark she can't see at all where she is aiming. it's all a guess.
If you're only tool is a hammer, all problems look like nails.

pj
chgo

duckie

GregH
Silver Member

Without seeing the shots that are being the over cut, there is no way to know what is wrong.

Why assume that her missing is always because of the same reason for each miss? There are so many reason for a miss and the only person that can know what that reason is for that shot is the shooter, and not a outside observer. The shooter is the only one that knows whats going on while they are shooting.

Maybe its just not enough experience doing these shots and nothing more. In other words, lack of quality practice time. A person playing time needs to be measured in hours not years. How many hours a week is practice and how many is competition? How many hours have been put in practicing cut shots?

Just for comparison only to make my point, this last year I put in 1850 hours of table time. I paid $100 a month for table time for a year and made use of it. I'm lucky in that I can do this, and I know most can not do this, but this is why I can say it all quality table time and lots of it to really understand making all kinds of shots beyond just cut shots. I took off 3 months of this routine, but I'm gonna start up next month. This is the best money I ever spent. No DVD, no book, no instructor could have provided me with the knowledge base that hours and hours on the table has provided.

To improve in all aspects of pool takes long term commitment and determination.

However, there is a training device called the Arrow invented by Babe Cranfield, http://books.google.com/books?id=dK...#v=onepage&q=the arrow babe cranfield&f=false.

Plus its a good book. If you don't know about Babe Cranfield, do a search on him. Not a bad player.

Maybe the only problem is not knowing where to place the CB on the table to make the OB go where you want. Training with the arrow gives you a real world reference of where that spot is. What I have noticed with alot of "trouble shots" is that once I make it a few times, they become easier over time because a visual data base for that shot has been built up.

Once again table time is what its all about. There is no one answer for what you seek. I sense your disappoint in losing a game based on your GF skill level and want to blame something outside as the issue and the real issue is just not enough table time, nothing more.

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
Well,

i really have the highest respect for many persons here-- but if i see some guys here, i just wanna know one thing:

WHERE THE HELL DID YOU BUY YOUR FANTASTIC GLAS-BOWL :rolleyes: ?

Just from reading these few sentences, without ever having seen this person.......doing a concrete analysis.....:rolleyes:

Last edited:

genomachino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't know if you noticed......

If you're only tool is a hammer, all problems look like nails.

pj
chgo

Hi there pj,

I don't know if you have noticed but I'm helping alot of players improve their games.

I believe so much in what I teach that I'm traveling around the country showing it.

I teach every aspect of the game but aiming is my forte because it seems everyone is guessing on how it is. I don't have to guess and the people I teach really learn something.

I'm doing a free seminar at High Pockets in Memphis tonight. If you got time you should stop over and see how hard I work to try and help players with this game we love.

I don't charge for this.

Improving games wherever I go.