Question about 8 ball rule

Drawback

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
4 of us were playing 1 - 15 (Alabama 8-Ball) at the Senior center today and here's what happened:
On the break, no ball was potted. This left an "Open" table.

The next shot, an attempt was made at a solid ball but was not completed and the table remained "Open".

Continuing on, the next player (3rd player) potted the 15-Ball in the proper side pocket and after having done so, the cue ball went on to also pocket the 6-Ball in the side pocket across from the potted 15-Ball.

The following shot was a missed shot (by the 3rd player) and it was felt by some that the 15-Ball should be "spotted" since the table was still "Open".

Most agreed, but one doesn't agree. What do you think? How would you rule on this? Thanks in advance.

bflgvs

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The way we play at our 'OPH' that first shot on the 15 was the legally pocketed ball. The 15 was the the obvious shot but both stay down and the shooter continues on with the inning.

waylander

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Agreed, the 15 was the called shot and was legally made. Any other ball that goes down is incidental unless it's the cue ball. Player continues playing high ball, the 6 stays down. When the table is open, it doesn't matter which group of balls is hit first as long as the called ball and the pocket are correct.

3.4 Open Table / Choosing Groups
Before groups are determined, the table is said to be “open,” and before each shot, the shooter must call his intended ball. If the shooter legally pockets his called ball, the corresponding group becomes his, and his opponent is assigned the other group. If he fails to legally pocket his called ball, the table remains open and play passes to the other player. When the table is “open”, any object ball may be struck first except the eight ball.

3.7 Spotting Balls
If the eight ball is pocketed or driven off the table on the break, it will be spotted or the balls will be re-racked. (See 3.3 Break Shot and 1.4 Spotting Balls.) No other object ball is ever spotted.

Last edited:

Drawback

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The way we play at our 'OPH' that first shot on the 15 was the legally pocketed ball. The 15 was the the obvious shot but both stay down and the shooter continues on with the inning.

Thank you. This makes the most sense.:)

Drawback

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Agreed, the 15 was the called shot and was legally made. Any other ball that goes down is incidental unless it's the cue ball. Player continues playing high ball, the 6 stays down. When the table is open, it doesn't matter which group of balls is hit first as long as the called ball and the pocket are correct.

3.4 Open Table / Choosing Groups
Before groups are determined, the table is said to be “open,” and before each shot, the shooter must call his intended ball. If the shooter legally pockets his called ball, the corresponding group becomes his, and his opponent is assigned the other group. If he fails to legally pocket his called ball, the table remains open and play passes to the other player. When the table is “open”, any object ball may be struck first except the eight ball.

3.7 Spotting Balls
If the eight ball is pocketed or driven off the table on the break, it will be spotted or the balls will be re-racked. (See 3.3 Break Shot and 1.4 Spotting Balls.) No other object ball is ever spotted.

The way we all play 1-15 is that the only balls that get re-spotted are the 1 and the 15. That way, I can pot the 1 in pocket after pocket trying to get shape and when I finally pocket it in it's assigned side pocket (to the left of the Breaking Player) than it stays down.

Thanks for your reply.:)

bflgvs

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You need to consider 'house rules' in all situations whether it makes sense or not. At our 'OPH' most rules go along with BCAPL rules but no shots are called and if you make a ball and scratch that ball comes back. Rules can be different, and usually are, every where you go.

Drawback

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You need to consider 'house rules' in all situations whether it makes sense or not. At our 'OPH' most rules go along with BCAPL rules but no shots are called and if you make a ball and scratch that ball comes back. Rules can be different, and usually are, every where you go.

Yes, I understand. If we scratch on any object ball, it's a foul and the opponent gets ball-in-hand anywhere on the table (except on the break a scratch is played in the kitchen). If we scratch immediately after potting the 1-Ball or the 15-Ball, these balls are spotted and play continues with the inning switching to the opponent.

My question was about the fifteen being potted in the right hand side (from the Breaking Player's perspective) and the CB continuing on and sinking a 6-Ball. The following shot, I missed a striped ball. The majority of the team players decided that I should lose my turn and the 15-Ball be spotted. I disagreed. I do understand about "House Rules", but there are no "rules" established for this scenario at our pool hall.

Thank you for your reply.