Ready to buy the best 9 foot table

goldball

Registered
In Australia the options are limited. Diamond Pro Am seems the logical choice.
What can I and should I customize on the 9 foot Pro Am?
So far...
Rosewood Dymondwood rails with matching light
Pro cut pockets
Tournament Blue 860 HR Cloth
Anything else?

I would have preferred the bigfoot table, but its 18k with light over here :eek:
Can I get the 2 extra legs on the 9 foot to make it look like it at least?

In terms of balls, Im thinking Aramith Tournament TV set. What do you guys suggest for table cover? Is it worth spending on an expensive one?

Thanks

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member
I just put in my order for the exact same set up today...so you obviously have great taste! I opted not to get the matching light, I'm not a fan of the big box light, although it's nice...I'll get a brass/chrome setup elsewhere. I'm also getting the Cyclop set (standard colors), as I'm a fan of those, they play great and stay clean. I was thinking of getting the pockets tighter, maybe 4 1/4 inch, but forgot to discuss that with Diamond. The Diamondwood plant burned down last year, but the sales rep told me they're back up and running...although they still are waiting for the new stuff to come in. I'm eagerly awaiting the advice you asked for, there's lots of Diamond owners on here that may have some words of wisdom for us.

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
Ask to have your favorite beer, beverage, babe, family name, team name, logo, or custom design, cut into or applied as a decal on the skirts. It can be done.

Scaramouche

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dymondwood not available from factory - supplier burned down.
Is there still stock in Australia?

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member
Dymondwood not available from factory - supplier burned down.
Is there still stock in Australia?

Dymondwood is back on line now...according to the sales rep at Diamond, they just started production. Don't know how long that will take to get Diamond tables out the door, but I'm told I should be looking at 8 weeks for delivery.

goldball

Registered
Ask to have your favorite beer, beverage, babe, family name, team name, logo, or custom design, cut into or applied as a decal on the skirts. It can be done.

Interesting, thanks. The default option is just the Diamond logo on one side?

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member
Just called and had them put thicker pocket facings (no cost) to tighten the pockets up an 1/8 inch. You can get the pockets down as far as 4 1/8" (wow!), but that's a $500 upgrade. Mine will be 4 3/8", which is plenty tight enough for me...

As far as logos in the skirt, I'm okay with a clean table. If it came with the white "DIAMOND" logo, okay, but I'm agnostic on that. I'm only concerned with the parts that are covered in tournament blue Simonis 860. :wink:

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just called and had them put thicker pocket facings (no cost) to tighten the pockets up an 1/8 inch. You can get the pockets down as far as 4 1/8" (wow!), but that's a $500 upgrade. Mine will be 4 3/8", which is plenty tight enough for me...

As far as logos in the skirt, I'm okay with a clean table. If it came with the white "DIAMOND" logo, okay, but I'm agnostic on that. I'm only concerned with the parts that are covered in tournament blue Simonis 860. :wink:

I wonder how much a tooled leather wrap-around or 4 larger panels for a pool table would cost?

I think quite a few designs would look nice larger https://www.google.com/search?q=cas...OSCh1ghwAG#tbm=isch&q=tooled+leather+cue+case

Scaramouche

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dymondwood is back on line now...according to the sales rep at Diamond, they just started production. Don't know how long that will take to get Diamond tables out the door, but I'm told I should be looking at 8 weeks for delivery.

Good to know, hope to be ordering a table in a few months - i checked the web site and Dymondwood is there now.

http://www.diamondbilliards.com/CommercialTables/Professional.aspx

Delivery time has been stretched by a couple of weeks.

Terms:
50% down payment to confirm order, with balance due when product leaves the factory. Please allow 6-10 weeks for production.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is all personal preference, and the below are mine:)

I like the aesthetic of the Diamond Professional table much more than the Diamond Pro/Am model. The leg structure is completely different. Note, the Professional model has changed a lot over the years. I am talking about the new one as of the past 3 or 4 years. Diamond's site shows both the old ones and the new ones.

I would get maple wood (I personally HATE oak), and have it painted jet black. Maple is a closed pore wood, unlike oak, so even if its painted, the finished product looks much better.

Cover: no cover. I want to be able to walk to the table on a whim and hit a ball.

Aramith Tournament Duramith balls are the top balls in the world, imo.

I would not get the Diamond logo routered on the ends of the table. It looks gaudy imo, especially for a home setting.

Finally, if price were no object, I'd get the Paragon model:)

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member
This is all personal preference, and the below are mine:)

I like the aesthetic of the Diamond Professional table much more than the Diamond Pro/Am model. The leg structure is completely different. Note, the Professional model has changed a lot over the years. I am talking about the new one as of the past 3 or 4 years. Diamond's site shows both the old ones and the new ones.

I would get maple wood (I personally HATE oak), and have it painted jet black. Maple is a closed pore wood, unlike oak, so even if its painted, the finished product looks much better.

Cover: no cover. I want to be able to walk to the table on a whim and hit a ball.

Aramith Tournament Duramith balls are the top balls in the world, imo.

I would not get the Diamond logo routered on the ends of the table. It looks gaudy imo, especially for a home setting.

Finally, if price were no object, I'd get the Paragon model:)

I totally understand. I like the Pro just fine, I've played on a ton of them...mostly with the oak finish, which aesthetically I don't like...I like a robust, deep darker colors, so the rosewood finish is my favorite. I myself prefer the legs on the Pro-Am over the Brunswick-like understructure on the Pro. To each his own. To be sure, whatever Diamond one chooses will be built like a tank and will play jam up for sure. I've watched the only two pool rooms in Woodbridge, VA close over the past year, and will be psyched to not have to drive 30-40 minutes to find a decent place to play. I'll just be able to step up to my own Diamond in my bathrobe and shoot for free until my fingers bleed. :grin-square:

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I totally understand. I like the Pro just fine, I've played on a ton of them...mostly with the oak finish, which aesthetically I don't like...I like a robust, deep darker colors, so the rosewood finish is my favorite. I myself prefer the legs on the Pro-Am over the Brunswick-like understructure on the Pro. To each his own. To be sure, whatever Diamond one chooses will be built like a tank and will play jam up for sure. I've watched the only two pool rooms in Woodbridge, VA close over the past year, and will be psyched to not have to drive 30-40 minutes to find a decent place to play. I'll just be able to step up to my own Diamond in my bathrobe and shoot for free until my fingers bleed. :grin-square:

Ha! I totally hear you. I play in my underwear on my GC4 all the time! Getting my own table was the best thing I've ever done for my enjoyment of the game:)

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Invest In Getting Brunswick Centennials

You doing it the right way with the table and so now don't slack off.......do your self a favor and get a set of Brunswick Centennial Pool balls by Saluc that owns Aramith and Simonis too.

Under the table lights, the design beckons you to go grab a cue and stay playing......just classically elegant......best darn design bar none......no other brand has better tolerances......and the colors are glorious......this sets the height of the bar for pool ball designs but of course, this is only my opinion.

Matt B.

p.s. the set on the left is my Centennial set in play and the Centennial set on the right is a back-up set on the shelf.

http://www.saluc.com/html/about-saluc.php

Attachments

• pool balls & cues 005.jpg
    pool balls & cues 005.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 617
Last edited:

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... The Diamondwood plant burned down last year, but the sales rep told me they're back up and running...

The company that made DymondWood was Rutland Plywood Corporation in Rutland, VT. They burned down 10 months ago and have not rebuilt: http://www.rutlandherald.com/article/20150528/NEWS01/705289935

So if Diamond Billiards is still using Dymondwood, it is either old stock, or some other company has been licensed to produce the product, or what Diamond is using is a similar product made by someone else.

I seem to remember that Diamond produced some tables with a similar product that was all black but not real glossy. Anyone remember what that material is? Has that material been expanded into other colors?

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member
The company that made DymondWood was Rutland Plywood Corporation in Rutland, VT. They burned down 10 months ago and have not rebuilt: http://www.rutlandherald.com/article/20150528/NEWS01/705289935

So if Diamond Billiards is still using Dymondwood, it is either old stock, or some other company has been licensed to produce the product, or what Diamond is using is a similar product made by someone else.

I seem to remember that Diamond produced some tables with a similar product that was all black but not real glossy. Anyone remember what that material is? Has that material been expanded into other colors?

The sales rep indicated to me that they were due new samples for approval in May, but hadn't gotten them yet...expected them any day. That, plus the link you provided, indicates to me that someone else is producing Dymondwood for them now...

Tickets

Little Aussie Battler
Silver Member
Where about in Sydney are you? do you play league?

ive got some used brunswick centenial TV set i might let go of if youre interested

Scaramouche

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Somewhere there is a thread which included a comment that Diamond was trying to buy the process from their former supplier - dying the wood and impregnating it with resin using a vacuum bagging process, so they could take it to another supplier,

Diamond has some black topping on some tables used at a tournament. Comments posted here indicated that it showed chalk and finger prints - not a rave review.

Gabriels uses Dianite rails - prsumably similar to Diamond's offerings
http://www.loontjensbilliards.com/gabriels-sentinel-dianite