single player format league

riding9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does anyone have a format for a league that's not team organized, only single matches? I played in Tap and APA but would like to start a league where you are not on a team. You show up for a certain time slot and shoot your match or maybe a round robin format.

The league would have to be handicapped to get enough people interested.

Looking for a format and maybe a way to handicap it, if you are aware of any please let me know how the format works and it they players like it.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was going to make a thread about apa starting a singles division tonight when I got home. It's going to be both 8 and 9 ball format. 3 sessions a year just like the team format. Winner goes to Vegas.

I told my league operator today I'm throwing my hat in the ring for this new division. Probably going to have to quit one of the 4 teams I am on but its gonna be worth it.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The straight pool leagues around here are like that. They are not scheduled. You show up on league night and are matched up with whoever is available. Usually you can get in more than one match, if you want to. You have to get in a certain number of matches in the season and/or finish high in the rankings to get into the playoffs. Prizes are awarded for season and playoff performance. Here are some details on a league I run: http://sfbilliards.com/cal_league.txt

There is also a 9-ball individual handicapped league. You show up on league night and are drawn into a single-elimination chart. If you are eliminated early, it is possible to buy back into the chart, so it is a voluntary double elimination, sort of. Each night is a separate tournament with immediate payouts, but you also accumulate points towards playoffs or prizes. Here is the league home page: http://www.sfpool.net/cgi-bin/pool.pl?pChoice=home

ipoppa33

Shakedown Custom Rods
Silver Member
American Rotation might be an option for you. It's a great game.
Good luck.
Stan

Lesh

One Hole Thinkifier
Silver Member
I belong to a One Pocket League
Yes.... a One Pocket League... ONE POCKET (greatest game ever)

In this One Pocket League, we set out match-ups for the entire season and it is up to the players to reach out to one another and set up a match date and time. It gets played and that's that. At the end there is an accounting and distribution for the best players. Then we do the whole thing all over again.

I'd love to see a 15 ball rotation league in my area as well. 3rd best game there is.

Lesh

Last edited:

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You might look into a ladder league. They're common in tennis and racquetball clubs. You have a list of people who want to play, and you go down the list when you lose and up when you win, so it sorts into a list of players ranked by ability. It's not handicapped per se, but you can only challenge up one slot (or maybe only a couple of slots up) so people are really only playing others ranked close to them on the list.

Do a search here, there were people talking about it last year I believe.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
In this One Pocket League, we set out match-ups for the entire season and it is up to the players to reach out to one another and set up a match date and time. It gets played and that's that. At the end there is an accounting and distribution for the best players. Then we do the whole thing all over again.
Lesh

There is a straight pool league here in the D-FW area that I played in a few years ago that uses almost that same format. The players are given a list with all the players and their phone numbers on it. The league has a certain number of weeks until completion, so it is up to all the players to contact those on the list that they haven't yet played and set up a time for their match. You could play as many matches in a weeks time as you could get set up. I preferred to play only once a week unless there were unforeseen circumstances, then I would play two a week. It was a good system and I never had a problem with scheduling. Of course, me being retired made it easy for me to play whenever my opponent needed to.

Maniac

Last edited:

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
I was going to make a thread about apa starting a singles division tonight when I got home. It's going to be both 8 and 9 ball format. 3 sessions a year just like the team format. Winner goes to Vegas.

I told my league operator today I'm throwing my hat in the ring for this new division. Probably going to have to quit one of the 4 teams I am on but its gonna be worth it.

If that happens in my area, it could possible bring me out of league retirement. I have never been keen on a team format, the reason being that I cannot take the BS one has to put up with because of the Holy Grail of those wanting the trip to Vegas. Winning has never been so important to me that I would stoop to crap/bush league tactics (the list of specifics would be too long) so we could stay good enough as a team to make the playoffs. I was only in it for the enjoyment of a night out with friends, popping some balls around and a mixed drink or two. I never could get a roster of seven or eight players with the same attitude.

Maniac

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If that happens in my area, it could possible bring me out of league retirement. I have never been keen on a team format, the reason being that I cannot take the BS one has to put up with because of the Holy Grail of those wanting the trip to Vegas. Winning has never been so important to me that I would stoop to crap/bush league tactics (the list of specifics would be too long) so we could stay good enough as a team to make the playoffs. I was only in it for the enjoyment of a night out with friends, popping some balls around and a mixed drink or two. I never could get a roster of seven or eight players with the same attitude.

Maniac

Talk to the lo ..i am sure there are enough people in every area that would rather play a singles format than have to deal with teams drama . As you said ....too much to list lol.

Yea....my Sunday night team seems like a revolving door of players trying to find the right ones where every one is on the same page.