John Schmidt at BullShooters

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... I do get a chuckle out of all the stipulations being talked about for John Schmidt, when there were basically none for Willie Mosconi. And if there were for Willie, wouldn't we all have started with "it has to be on a regulation pool table" :)
The corner pocket maximum at the time (1953 rule book) was 5 1/8 inches. Isn't 5 1/2 close enough?

That rule book also describes the method of block play for championship matches and marking the break and cue ball between sessions. There is no rule that the player cannot practice between playing sessions.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The corner pocket maximum at the time (1953 rule book) was 5 1/8 inches. Isn't 5 1/2 close enough?

That rule book also describes the method of block play for championship matches and marking the break and cue ball between sessions. There is no rule that the player cannot practice between playing sessions.

Do you recall any high runs being recorded from block play.

Lou Figueroa

1pocket

Steve Booth
Gold Member
Silver Member

Thank you Bob, that was quick and not only an answer but a reference!!

Well, let me think about the pocket size for a second.... OK, well here is one way to look at it, if Mosconi ran his 526 on a table with 5-1/8" pockets, do you think the fans of today would think it was acceptable if John Schmidt was making his attempt to beat it on a table with 5-1/2" pockets? Would that be considered close enough?? I don't think so :)

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I never heard of a 200 run...that's why Daz has the record.

..big difference between an exhibition run and a competitive run.

Yes, of course there's a difference between competitive, exhibition, and now high run attempts.

But that's not what I was asking.

Lou Figueroa

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I saw Jack Colavita run 245 in block play in the mid-1980's.

OK, so what does that mean?

Was there an overnight break or something else? What were the blocks to? What event was it?

Lou Figueroa
inquiring minds
and all that

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Who plays games long enough, to capture a 526 in ??

There were 1,000 point matches back in the day....3 or 4 days....mark the balls at the break.
...I’m kinda disappointed that there were no monster runs produced.
...back when 14.1 was the primary game.