Slumps...

ral819

Registered
I've been in a "slump" lately. Scratches on the break, scratches on the 8 ball, 8 ball out of turn, every shot missed stops in front of a pocket in 9 ball,and so on. From some, I've heard , time will go by, it'll change. Others I've spoken to maintain Slumps are a figment, get back to basics/fundamentals. Still others say that there is a lull before any improvement. What is your belief ? All I can figure is to keep shooting , and try to work it out ?

SFC9ball

JimBaker PBIA Instructor
Silver Member
Slumps are generally caused from an outside distraction in our life. Even though we are trying to play our best game the outside distraction has just enough concern that it prevents us from focusing on our game with the intensity that is needed, then we start losing confidence in what we are doing because we are not getting the desired results in a shot or our games. When doubt sets in our mind is all over the place and this is not a good place to be.

When this happens we must step back and focus on our fundamentals and keep things as simple or basic as we can. When we start executing shots again your confidence goes up and before you know it you are playing just as good or maybe even a bit better than before. THINK POSITIVE and positive things will happen.

People may see an elevation in their skill level due to getting back to the fundamentals and really paying attention to the small things going on that they didn't notice before resulting in better performance. I have noticed that when you reach a certain level it is the small things that have the biggest influences in our games.

I heard Nick Varner tell a couple people once that "When imagine things happening on the table good or bad it usually happens so you better be thinking good thoughts"

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you can, take a break. Do something outdoors. Get some fresh air. Forget pool for a couple of days or a week.

I've noticed that when I return from a break, I forgot the things I was doing wrong.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've been in a "slump" lately. Scratches on the break, scratches on the 8 ball, 8 ball out of turn, every shot missed stops in front of a pocket in 9 ball,and so on. From some, I've heard , time will go by, it'll change. Others I've spoken to maintain Slumps are a figment, get back to basics/fundamentals. Still others say that there is a lull before any improvement. What is your belief ? All I can figure is to keep shooting , and try to work it out ?

Highest level of performance occurs on a subconscious level. I asked many of my students to take pen and paper and write down every step they take from chaulking their cue to stroking through the cue ball. Most can't do it, as they haven't really sat down and defined a structured routine. People get to the end of their routine and their last comment is just shoot. But there are many more steps in that process that need to be identified and practiced in an identical manner, in order to create this subconscious perfect routine. My advice to you would be to get a professional video analysis from a qualified professional instructor. That would at least tell you if you're doing things the same way every time or not, and identify all of the steps in your routine. In my estimation, a slump last one shot. If you know what your process is, including every ABCD step, when you make an error you can sit down and go through your routine step by step. If you identify the part of your process that failed you, when you go to the table next you concentrate on correcting the one part of your process that didn't work correctly. Then you continue to play at a high level. Find a good instructor, and get a video analysis. It'll be the best money you ever spent.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

Last edited:

sixpack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I have a good system that works to pull myself out of a slump:

1) Revisit fundamentals. Especially stance and head/eye alignment. Sometimes a slight change in head position (higher/lower or shift right/left) can make everything look wrong. For me, this is usually due to some kind of injury, stiffness or pain that causes me to not get down enough.

2) Slow everything down for a long practice session. Think about what you are doing on every shot. Disconnect from the outcome of the shot and focus on the process of the shot. Go through your pre shot routine, get your line, drop into the shot and shoot. If the balls goes in or doesn't, or if you scratch, just make a mental note of it and don't stress about it. Patience is the key right now.

3) Try to get position using speed control and angle control using vertical axis only. Don't even try to use sidespin for a whole practice session (hour or so). Just throw balls out, plan your runout and execute. If you miss, take ball in hand and just keep going.

In my experience, slumps are caused by something minor and then made worse by dwindling confidence, second guessing, self doubts and negative self-talk and judgement. Give yourself a damn break. You were a good pool player last week/month whatever. You're still a good pool player.

After an hour or two of being purposeful, I'll start increasing the tempo and just look/shoot. This helps my instincts kick in. Again, don't care if you miss or scratch or anything. Just see shot, shoot shot, repeat. Keep doing this until you get in a rhythm where you are making shots and controlling the cueball.

When you are in that state, stop playing pool and go to bed and sleep. Don't watch TV, don't argue with anyone or talk with anyone more than you have to. Just think about the shots you were making and how effortless it was. Studies have shown that people who learn a new skill and go to sleep immediately afterwards retain the skill much better than people who stay up afterwards. The brain actually internalizes skills when we sleep.

For me, using this system, I can break a slump in one or two fairly long sessions of 2 or 3 hours.

I've also found that I keep on the vertical axis more after I come out of the slump and my game is usually better than it was before the slump started.

For me, overusing english is a contributing factor to going into a slump because I get overconfident using english and take it for granted then start missing in key situations which leads to the self-doubt, self judgement, etc... that starts the dominos falling.

Imac007

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Revisiting success

An error that players of all levels make is asking "what did I do wrong". Coaching also makes a similar mistake when they revisit errors. An Australian study showed that trying to revisit a mistake and then correct it actually hurt performance. Quite simply remembering an error, is a mental rehearsal, and reinforcement of what was done. Asking how you might have missed a shot creates an avalanche of potential ways. Literally an endless number of bad shots from a lifetime of playing can resurface.

Instead ask questions that dig out success or successful images. What does it look like when it’s done right? How easy does it feel when you’re having a great game/day? Have you ever noticed how the balls look bigger and everything from the cue to the cloth are more detailed when you shoot good? Even time can seem to slow down, has that ever happened to you? Are you seeing the entire line of the shot?

Are you in the right position physically and mentally to do it right? If not, get up and find what you need to execute. Then do it.

Last edited:

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
In my experience, slumps are caused by something minor and then made worse by dwindling confidence, second guessing, self doubts and negative self-talk and judgement. Give yourself a damn break. You were a good pool player last week/month whatever. You're still a good pool player

i thought this was a great piece of advice