Stroke! Wonder How to get their fantastic Strokes?

Bobkitty

I said: "Here kitty, kitty". Got this frown.
Gold Member
Silver Member
Can we all admit there are God given strokes and most of us have second rate strokes? It seems like we could advance our strokes with practice but I don't think that is the case. It's like hitting the driver over 300 yards. Some of the golfers have it and others do not.
I'm wondering if Earl's stroke and my stroke could be measured in such a way to see the difference. "Force Follow" action might be a way to see how much the cue ball bends to see how one's stroke works out. My teacher can BEND the cue ball twice as much as I can and I'm sure Earl could bend it even more. Wonder if that is a great test?
Does anyone know of a great test to test the stroke?
This might be the reason to see a great teacher like I have.... just to see the difference in your stroke and someone that has the "gift".

Last edited:

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
i think that yes the guys that can make the cue ball do what seems to be impossible things
have a natural talent you cannot teach
but at the same time i would guess they couldnt do it the first time they picked up a cue....it had to be developed with LOTS of practice
on the other hand
being able to super bend the cue ball comes up how often in a game???
i would be happy to have 99% control and accuracy over the stoke i have .
pros have uncanny accuracy and control...that wins championships
not who has the best force follow
jmho
icbw

Bobkitty

Gold Member
Silver Member
i think that yes the guys that can make the cue ball do what seems to be impossible things
have a natural talent you cannot teach
but at the same time i would guess they couldnt do it the first time they picked up a cue....it had to be developed with LOTS of practice
on the other hand
being able to super bend the cue ball comes up how often in a game???
i would be happy to have 99% control and accuracy over the stoke i have .
pros have uncanny accuracy and control...that wins championships
not who has the best force follow
jmho
icbw

I'm not talking about using "force follow" here in a game, but demonstrating "force follow" shows the stroke one has. If a player can pick up "follow" more than another, it must be a better stroke. I'm just wondering if others have a clue for demonstrating a great stroke. That is the only one I can think of. We both know someone that has a world class stroke and I'm been trying to copy it without too much success.

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not talking about using "force follow" here in a game, but demonstrating "force follow" shows the stroke one has. If a player can pick up "follow" more than another, it must be a better stroke. I'm just wondering if others have a clue for demonstrating a great stroke. That is the only one I can think of.
Why does force-follow demonstrate "stroke greatness"? I think a long(7ft+) dead-straight power draw shot is even better. Pocket the ball and draw it back at LEAST as far as your starting CB spot. This shot shows the power, accuracy in one's stroke.

Bobkitty

Gold Member
Silver Member
Why does force-follow demonstrate "stroke greatness"? I think a long(7ft+) dead-straight power draw shot is even better. Pocket the ball and draw it back at LEAST as far as your starting CB spot. This shot shows the power, accuracy in one's stroke.

True enough and good point. I know a guy that can draw it back like you demonstrate with the CB on the rail. I think "follow" and "draw" can both demonstrate a great stroke. The CB ball bending ( twice or three times more than I can) in "force follow" in my mind is a great stroke. This shot demonstrates "follow". Maybe there are other thoughts?

Last edited:

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The ability to go completely "through" the cue ball with a fully Relaxed grip hand is usually the key to a great stroke- it does not matter if you have a long flowing Bustamante like stroke or a short looking stroke like Alan Hopkins - it is all about how that cue goes 'through' the cue ball at the desired contact point on the cue ball AND being visually focused on the desired object ball contact point in the same motion - yes for some this is a more natural gift, others can learn to do it, most never conquer or control their inner self that prevents all of this from happening ON EVERY SHOT.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
It seems like we could advance our strokes with practice but I don't think that is the case.
"Force Follow" action might be a way to see how much the cue ball bends to see how one's stroke works out. My teacher can BEND the cue ball twice as much as I can and I'm sure Earl could bend it even more.
For that, the only thing your teacher does better than you is hit the CB where he intends to at high speed. That can definitely be learned.

pj
chgo

Bobkitty

Gold Member
Silver Member
For that, the only thing your teacher does better than you is hit the CB where he intends to at high speed. That can definitely be learned.

pj
chgo

So, you're saying there are no "God given" strokes out there? We can learn it? Give me a stroke like Earl's!!!

Bobkitty

Gold Member
Silver Member
What stroke quality do you associate with the cue "going through" the CB?

pj
chgo

Well, this is just a test but if someone can "bend' the CB more with a softer stroke on force follow, I'd say that is a better stroke than I have. My pool instructor can teach thousands of things but teaching me his stroke is not one of them. This might be something you have to see for yourself. Kind of like the golf swing. Only very few of us can retain the relaxed wrist flex until the last second and hit the ball long and straight. Watch Sergio. He has God given talent.

Last edited:

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
So, you're saying there are no "God given" strokes out there? We can learn it? Give me a stroke like Earl's!!!
There's no part of it that involves a mysterious skill - just hit the CB where you want to at any speed. That's just not as easy as it sounds.

pj
chgo

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... My pool instructor can teach thousands of things but teaching me his stroke is not one of them. ...
Then I would say he is not competent in that area. If you really want to develop a powerful stroke with lots of action, you may want to seek out a different instructor. I recommend Hans de Jager the former European Artistic Billiards champion.

Bobkitty

Gold Member
Silver Member
Then I would say he is not competent in that area. If you really want to develop a powerful stroke with lots of action, you may want to seek out a different instructor. I recommend Hans de Jager the former European Artistic Billiards champion.

I wonder if he's coming to Oregon.

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not talking about using "force follow" here in a game, but demonstrating "force follow" shows the stroke one has. If a player can pick up "follow" more than another, it must be a better stroke. I'm just wondering if others have a clue for demonstrating a great stroke. That is the only one I can think of. We both know someone that has a world class stroke and I'm been trying to copy it without too much success.

Some shots that look like amazing stroke are actually made with backhand and front hand english , it makes the balls do some pretty weird things

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some shots that look like amazing stroke are actually made with backhand and front hand english , it makes the balls do some pretty weird things

giphy.gif

Calzican

Registered
There are some pros with beautiful flawless strokes Seming Chen being one of my favorites. I'm Actually trying to work more of the drawback pause she has in her stroke into mine.... but like whats been said there is God given talent but Efren didn't jerk it 5 rails when he first started either. With enough practice the right fundamentals and good instruction I think many people with decent hand eye could build a quality stroke.

My favorite practice is to take the whole rack of balls and one by one setup a straight in shot from corner to corner cue ball two to three feet from object ball. Shot it in and draw straight back as far as you can. With a rack of 15 scratching on 9 is pretty strong.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What stroke quality do you associate with the cue "going through" the CB?

pj
chgo

It is the ESSENCE of a stroke! The way someone's cue stick accelerates, that is, the consistency of that acceleration speed from the beginning of the forward stroke UNTIL the cue stick passes completely AWAY from CONTACT with the cue ball defines the quality of one's billiard stroke. Hope this is a better explanation of the definition of a quality stroke.

MY point was that there is no one stroke method that is actually "better' than another, since many great pros demonstrate a variation of How they achieve the above quality stroke definition - but they all achieve it much more consistently than the average player.