Value of this Vintage Table?

gambler67

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Anyone know much about this type of table and if it's worth much restoring it?

Attachments

• table 1.jpg
    table 1.jpg
    195.6 KB · Views: 477
  • table 2.jpg
    table 2.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 473

gambler67

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
pics

sorry the person that wanted to know about the table sent me the pics, its a 9 foot 1 inch slate table

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
Good luck, that nameplate could have been replaced as many companies did that. With out pictures it is really hard to put a value on it, just not enough info.

Trent from Toledo

gambler67

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Palen table

the guy says the table only had the one owner and nothing was replaced, I guess a better way to put it do 9' Jos.F.Palen tables that were made in 1964, is there any value to them?

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Like Trent already stated, not much to go on here without good pics. I think we can rule out a manufacture date of 1964 though. That rail cap that the brass nameplate is mounted to appears to be Rosewood. If I were a betting man I'd bet that the number 1964 is actually a serial number. Someone please confirm, or correct me, but Brazilian Rosewood was pretty much history after the Brunswick Centennial run, and I think most of the later ones were produced with formica rail caps. FWIW I haven't seen any tables made after WWII with original Rosewood rail caps, other than the Brunswick Centennial and occasional special order Anniversary. It's kinda sad that some of those exotic woods that were used to make those beautiful tables and cues back in the early days are now extinct.

Ssonerai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Agree with Lawnboy.

Everything about the style of plaque, artwork, and visible wood for rail, says "pre-WW2" to me unless Jos.Palen was a custom maker. (I used to make parts & tools for a custom table builder in the 60's - early 90's. Some of his products with T-rails looked classic antique unless you got under them).

That said, "value" is probably pretty low unless there is something very distinctive about it or if documented that Teddy Roosevelt had an action match on it :) . Everyone wants BBC, or for modern tables, Diamond.

It could well be an exceptional table, though. You'll have to ask your table tech to analyze that. Depends on how the frame was built, the rail system & attachment method, and condition/quality of the slates. If the bones are good the cost could be similar to re-building a later model table, but it might be more attractive/appealing to many of us. Unfortunately less likely to get the re-build costs out of it on sale compared to the current favorites.

Better pics sure would help.

smt

Last edited:

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The "1964" stamp is undoubtedly a model number or serial number. The table was definitely made in the first half or third of the 20th Century.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anyone know much about this type of table and if it's worth much restoring it?

Have you done any research at all or just expect others to do it for you? A quick Google search for "Jos F Palan pool table" yielded this:

http://www.josfpalen.com

Looks like they are still in business. Why not try calling them for info?

Last edited:

gambler67

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Palen table

yes I found all that info from google about history of the company and when they started early 1900's