Camera for recording matches

Breaking Bad

Registered
Can anyone who records their matches share their knowledge? I have a gopro that I use but it is insufficient. No view finder and doesn't record a lit table in a dark room very well.

KissedOut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can anyone who records their matches share their knowledge? I have a gopro that I use but it is insufficient. No view finder and doesn't record a lit table in a dark room very well.

I looked at a number of options, a while ago and was surprised to discover that I had a pretty good answer in my pocket all along. My LG G4, and now its successor, a Pixel, work pretty nicely without the distortion I got with a go pro. And I found it pretty easy to adapt one of the cell phone clamps they make for cars to mount the phone.

KissedOut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How long can you record for? I need to go 4-5 hours.

There is about a 45 minute limit due to the file size of the video. I just restart it every 45 minutes. Power wise it is no problem because you can hook up one of those portable power packs to keep the phone charged as long as you need.

I don't know if it is possible to record the video to a different and more compact video file format to extend that 45 minutes. I never worried about it because I just restart it, but maybe it is possible?

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I bought a a Canon HF g20 last year. Has a hard drive and 2 SD cards. The 32GB SD cards I use are 4 hours each. Card "A" shifts to card "B" when full. Fast Lenny recommended this Camera. It is amazing in low light. I'd buy it again. Bought it from B&H Photo in NY. They are the Seyberts of Camera's. They do things right. Everything is new in box. Packaged properly for shipping.

Last edited:

TEAM SLO

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a go pro 4 but haven't used it for pool. Have used my Samsung s8, I just use a suction cup style windshield mount attached to a metal cookie case.

I take my laptop with me to transfer and free up room between matches.

Bobkitty

I said: "Here kitty, kitty". Got this frown.
Gold Member
Silver Member

The Canon is great but I have a Sony FDR-AX-53. Has everything you would need for pool table viewing. I set the focus on manual so that it doesn't "search" for focus during the video and that takes a pretty nice camera.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The Canon is great but I have a Sony FDR-AX-53. Has everything you would need for pool table viewing. I set the focus on manual so that it doesn't "search" for focus during the video and that takes a pretty nice camera.

Yes to manual setting.
What SD cards are you using. Thanks, Frank