Reload this Page starting to practice straight pool, need help with combos
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
starting to practice straight pool, need help with combos
Old
  (#1)
judochoke
AzB Silver Member
judochoke has a reputation beyond reputejudochoke has a reputation beyond reputejudochoke has a reputation beyond reputejudochoke has a reputation beyond reputejudochoke has a reputation beyond reputejudochoke has a reputation beyond reputejudochoke has a reputation beyond reputejudochoke has a reputation beyond reputejudochoke has a reputation beyond reputejudochoke has a reputation beyond reputejudochoke has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

starting to practice straight pool, need help with combos - 11-28-2019, 11:42 PM

i finally started practicing straight pool, and i really like playing it. im not doing a break shot yet, just trying to run a rack. i have found that the way im breaking the balls, i always end up with two ball combos near the short rail. of coarse i know how to line up a combo. you use the closest object ball near the cue ball as a ghost cue ball, then hit the cue ball on that spot to make the other object ball. but strange things happen, and i swear im lining up everything right. boom, both balls go squirting away from the pocket.

do you hit combos,(cue ball) hard, soft,medium, any english at all???

am i lining up everything right? sometimes i try 4 or 5 times to shoot the same short combo, and i keep missing.

any help is appreciated

Old
  (#2)
Patrick Johnson
Fish of the Day
Patrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

11-29-2019, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by judochoke View Post
i finally started practicing straight pool, and i really like playing it. im not doing a break shot yet, just trying to run a rack. i have found that the way im breaking the balls, i always end up with two ball combos near the short rail. of coarse i know how to line up a combo. you use the closest object ball near the cue ball as a ghost cue ball, then hit the cue ball on that spot to make the other object ball. but strange things happen, and i swear im lining up everything right. boom, both balls go squirting away from the pocket.

am i lining up everything right? sometimes i try 4 or 5 times to shoot the same short combo, and i keep missing.

any help is appreciated
Aim the first OB at the second OB as if the first OB is the CB. See the spot on the rail past the second OB that the first OB would hit if the second OB wasn’t there. Now aim the CB at the first OB as if to cut it toward that spot on the rail (ignoring the second OB). The more distant target for the first OB makes the cut more accurate.

pj
chgo

Old
  (#3)
One Pocket John
AzB Silver Member
One Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond repute

11-29-2019, 05:06 AM

Quote:

any help is appreciated
Here ya go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-Sr6CqYWio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmLxrwE8XW0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lPQjHPJAcU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VByN9uKwCo

John

One Pocket John
St. Louis, MO.

I don't play One Pocket as much as I use to, but when I do, I play at Cue & Cushion - Overland, MO.

In Memory of Dean Higgs and Harry Sims - gone but not forgotten and thank you.

Old
  (#4)
Patrick Johnson
Fish of the Day
Patrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond repute

11-29-2019, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Johnson View Post
Aim the first OB at the second OB as if the first OB is the CB. See the spot on the rail past the second OB that the first OB would hit if the second OB wasn’t there. Now aim the CB at the first OB as if to cut it toward that spot on the rail (ignoring the second OB). The more distant target for the first OB makes the cut more accurate.
A couple more reasons this works:
- gives a specific/visible target for the first OB cut
- makes it possible to aim the cut angles one at a time

pj
chgo

Old
  (#5)
CocoboloCowboy
Cowboys are my heros.
CocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1538

11-29-2019, 07:31 PM

Cheap instructional book, if you do not have you should.

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/p/99-...gaApmHEALw_wcB

Good stuff.

Old
  (#6)
judochoke
AzB Silver Member
judochoke has a reputation beyond reputejudochoke has a reputation beyond reputejudochoke has a reputation beyond reputejudochoke has a reputation beyond reputejudochoke has a reputation beyond reputejudochoke has a reputation beyond reputejudochoke has a reputation beyond reputejudochoke has a reputation beyond reputejudochoke has a reputation beyond reputejudochoke has a reputation beyond reputejudochoke has a reputation beyond repute

11-30-2019, 12:23 AM

got the book for 3.99 on ebay. thanks

Old
  (#7)
sparkle84
AzB Silver Member
sparkle84 has a reputation beyond reputesparkle84 has a reputation beyond reputesparkle84 has a reputation beyond reputesparkle84 has a reputation beyond reputesparkle84 has a reputation beyond reputesparkle84 has a reputation beyond reputesparkle84 has a reputation beyond reputesparkle84 has a reputation beyond reputesparkle84 has a reputation beyond reputesparkle84 has a reputation beyond reputesparkle84 has a reputation beyond repute

11-30-2019, 02:32 PM

Pat, in Post #2 gave you the most common and probably the best solution. However, there are other things to consider. All combinations aren't created equal. How the balls lie will often determine the best way of attacking the shot.
Your best solution to learning would be to find an experienced 14.1 player who can point out the different types of combos and ways to make them.
The videos recommended are worth watching but 2 have nothing to do with combinations and the others, while accurate, may not get you where you need to go.

Old
  (#8)
BilliardsAbout
BondFanEvents.com
BilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond repute

12-02-2019, 07:38 AM

The 99 book is awesome, there are only a few errors, so ask her as you read it...

...It's helpful to plan to hit the first ball in the combo with skid/no spin. Setup some combos for practice and gauge how close you need the cb to the obs to make them regularly.

-- Matt Sherman

Guide to Pool and Billiards, About.com
Instruction Staff, InsidePool Magazine
Author, book/DVD combo, Picture Yourself Shooting Pool

Old
  (#9)
Patrick Johnson
Fish of the Day

12-02-2019, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BilliardsAbout View Post
...It's helpful to plan to hit the first ball in the combo with skid/no spin.
Assuming "with skid" means a sliding CB, that maximizes throw. I'd suggest a rolling CB to minimize throw.

pj
chgo

Old
  (#10)
measureman
AzB Silver Member
measureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1500

12-02-2019, 01:57 PM

I have found that standing more upright helps to see the combo better.
Looking more down on it lets you see the contact spot better.

New cue-Schmelke custom Bocote merry widow-still in testing
Playing cue- The Mighty Lucasi Cocobolo
Back up cue - Troy Downey
I woke up.
Triangles tips and Masters chalk are good enough.

The Truth: If you have a stroke the gear don't matter... If you don't have a stroke the gear won't help.
The above quote by Softshot

Old
  (#11)
Scott Lee
AzB Silver Member

Scott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4100

12-02-2019, 03:19 PM

Of those four videos, the only one with any valuable information is the last one. None of them talk about the necessity of an accurate stroke.

Scott Lee
Director, SPF National Pool School Tour

PBIA Master Instructor

Old
  (#12)
Scott Lee
AzB Silver Member

Scott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4100

12-02-2019, 03:31 PM

There's no such thing as soft, medium and hard. Those are arbitrary terms that only have meaning to the individual shooter (ie: Your 'hard' or 'soft' are not the same as my 'hard' or 'soft'). This is why we teach speed as a numerical concept (1 is a lag...10 is a break). That way a 3-speed stroke (1 is a lag) is the same for everyone, no matter who is shooting it. Combinations should be played at the slowest speed that will pocket the OB...unless more is needed to gain position on the next shot. Don't use sidespin, as that will make the shot much more difficult.

Scott Lee
Director, SPF National Pool School Tour

Quote:

any help is appreciated

PBIA Master Instructor

Old
  (#13)
sparkle84
AzB Silver Member
sparkle84 has a reputation beyond reputesparkle84 has a reputation beyond reputesparkle84 has a reputation beyond reputesparkle84 has a reputation beyond reputesparkle84 has a reputation beyond reputesparkle84 has a reputation beyond reputesparkle84 has a reputation beyond reputesparkle84 has a reputation beyond reputesparkle84 has a reputation beyond reputesparkle84 has a reputation beyond reputesparkle84 has a reputation beyond repute

12-02-2019, 04:19 PM

Once again, find someone who knows what the hell they're doing, to help you out.
Some of the stuff being thrown out here is of little help. Particularly the statements regarding speed and especially about not using english (sidespin). There are many combos where using english is of great value.

Old
  (#14)
Patrick Johnson
Fish of the Day

12-02-2019, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkle84 View Post
There are many combos where using english is of great value.
Such as?

pj
chgo

Old
  (#15)
BilliardsAbout
BondFanEvents.com
BilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond repute

12-03-2019, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Johnson View Post
Assuming "with skid" means a sliding CB, that maximizes throw. I'd suggest a rolling CB to minimize throw.

pj
chgo
I'm okay with that statement with a qualification. Learning to throw cuts in is important. Also, skid or slide helps as a reference for calculating the path of the first ob in the combo. "Never hit a combo/cluster unless you know where all the balls will go."

-- Matt Sherman

Guide to Pool and Billiards, About.com
Instruction Staff, InsidePool Magazine
Author, book/DVD combo, Picture Yourself Shooting Pool

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: