CTE questions

skipbales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have watched a LOT of CTE videos and I am no closer to understanding it than before I watched the first one. Just when I think I am beginning to get it someone else explains it differently. At least it seems different to me. I would really like to give it a fair try but don't even see exactly what to try. Many of the videos aren't even teaching CTE they are talking about advanced CTE concepts or why it works or why some say id doesn't work, etc.

I assume Stan Shuffett is the authority but I can't find an ABC how to do it video by him. Howard Berger teaches it and so does 'Lil Chris but they don't explain it the same way. It could be I am just thick headed but I know others who have the same issue.

One person says (Berger I think) you line up with a 1/2 tip offset to the A B or C quadrant of the object ball then pivot to the center. Center of which ball, the object ball or cue ball. Back hand pivot or front hand or just a shift. How do you decide to use the A B or C? And so forth. They say things like "I would line up to the B quadrant ..." but they don't say why. How you decide which quadrant is the decision making point of most systems. 1/2 ball / 1/4 ball, 3/4 ball it is always an estimate of the approximate angle to begin with as far as I can tell. So if your first step is an estimate you still have to see how much of the ball you are hitting or how ever you want to define don't you?

Is there a clear simple step by step explanation video somewhere?

Last edited:

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
CTE is "SPLAINED" real good by JBCase aka John Barton on UTUBE. The deal is their are no magic pills for sale just $19.99 that you take, and 30 minutes later you are the best in the world.

It is time spent practing what you were 'SPLAINED", then more time practicing until all this is like something that happen without you thinking about it. MUSSEL MEMORY.

If Pool, Golf, or any sport was easly mastered, it would not take so much work to improve at the slow pace improvement happens.

skipbales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
CTE is "SPLAINED" real good by JBCase aka John Barton on UTUBE. The deal is their are no magic pills for sale just $19.99 that you take, and 30 minutes later you are the best in the world.

It is time spent practing what you were 'SPLAINED", then more time practicing until all this is like something that happen without you thinking about it. MUSSEL MEMORY.

If Pool, Golf, or any sport was easly mastered, it would not take so much work to improve at the slow pace improvement happens.

I think I have seen some of his videos. I am probably just not smart enough to understand them. I had a little trouble with Calculus too. I will look for his videos and see if I can make sense of them. I can't practice what I don't understand. PS I just found the first of his videos and it defines my problem. BASIC CTE AIMING - MY VERSION. Why are there versions? How is it so many explain it differently?

Last edited:

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have watched a LOT of CTE videos and I am no closer to understanding it than before I watched the first one. Just when I think I am beginning to get it someone else explains it differently. At least it seems different to me. I would really like to give it a fair try but don't even see exactly what to try. Many of the videos aren't even teaching CTE they are talking about advanced CTE concepts or why it works or why some say id doesn't work, etc.

I assume Stan Shuffett is the authority but I can't find an ABC how to do it video by him. Howard Berger teaches it and so does 'Lil Chris but they don't explain it the same way. It could be I am just thick headed but I know others who have the same issue.

One person says (Berger I think) you line up with a 1/2 tip offset to the A B or C quadrant of the object ball then pivot to the center. Center of which ball, the object ball or cue ball. Back hand pivot or front hand or just a shift. How do you decide to use the A B or C? And so forth. They say things like "I would line up to the B quadrant ..." but they don't say why. How you decide which quadrant is the decision making point of most systems. 1/2 ball / 1/4 ball, 3/4 ball it is always an estimate of the approximate angle to begin with as far as I can tell. So if your first step is an estimate you still have to see how much of the ball you are hitting or how ever you want to define don't you?

Is there a clear simple step by step explanation video somewhere?

Stan's work is the one to concentrate on if you really want to learn

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
I agree with Cookie. Ignore all instruction that is not from Stan. Here are 3 videos that fully explain CTE and CTE Pro1. Everything needed in order to understand the system can be found within these 3 videos without having to weed through 100+ videos trying to understand it.

#1: https://youtu.be/2KwI_62Npos (This video explains manual pivots and sweeps. The tape line is the "fixed" cb "perception" line, which is gathered by use of the 2-line visuals explained in the next video below.)

#2: https://youtu.be/4iuvQT7dwfs (Explains the perception and how to know which pivot to use, inside or outside.)

#3: https://youtu.be/V8Zmhz1wWWM (Explains the 1/2 tip offset, fixed cb, "sweeping" from inside or outside the fixed cb perception line.)

If it's still a mystery to you after studying these videos, then maybe the upcoming book and truth series will help.

Last edited:

Boxcar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A snipe hunt is a type of practical joke or fool's errand, in existence in North America as early as the 1840s, in which an unsuspecting newcomer is duped into trying to catch a non-existent animal called a snipe. While snipe are actual birds, a snipe hunt is a quest for an imaginary creature whose description varies.

skipbales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree with Cookie. Ignore all instruction that is not from Stan. Here are 3 videos that fully explain CTE and CTE Pro1. Everything needed in order to understand the system can be found within these 3 videos without having to weed through 100+ videos trying to understand it.

#1: https://youtu.be/2KwI_62Npos (This video explains manual pivots and sweeps. The tape line is the "fixed" cb "perception" line, which is gathered by use of the 2-line visuals explained in the next video below.)

#2: https://youtu.be/4iuvQT7dwfs (Explains the perception and how to know which pivot to use, inside or outside.)

#3: https://youtu.be/V8Zmhz1wWWM (Explains the 1/2 tip offset, fixed cb, "sweeping" from inside or outside the fixed cb perception line.)

If it's still a mystery to you after studying these videos, then maybe the upcoming book and truth series will help.

I can see that Stan gets pretty technical. I am not sure it is worth it to me to get that involved in an aiming system. I will try the 3 simple ones but whatever I use for aiming my delivery system is probably more my weakness. I appreciate the links. Thank you.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Hey Patrick, is that because they can't agree on what it is? I have found 3 different versions plus one way too complicated one.
The most straightforward description possible is still vague, because the system itself is vague. It’s essentially fractional aiming in denial - the denial is its refusal to admit that it, like every aiming method, relies on “practiced estimation” to reach the final aim line. If you realize this going in you might be able to get it to work as well as other systems and avoid the usual confusion.

Personally, if I used a system I’d go with one that knows what it is - like straightforward fractional aiming.

pj
chgo

skipbales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The most straightforward description possible is still vague, because the system itself is vague. It’s essentially fractional aiming in denial - the denial is its refusal to admit that it, like every aiming method, relies on “practiced estimation” to reach the final aim line. If you realize this going in you might be able to get it to work as well as other systems and avoid the usual confusion.

Personally, if I used a system I’d go with one that knows what it is - like straightforward fractional aiming.

pj
chgo

As always, thank you for the input. I see it as you describe. I was looking for some kind of visual improvement or simplicity. Actually I kind of like little Mike's "Split the Difference" system. It clearly requires intuition but simplifies the thought process. I am going to try the simplistic CTE explanation by John Barton to see if that helps me easily visualize, even though in more recent videos he has added the fractional ball idea to his videos. His first one didn't have that.

In the end I pretty much agree with Jerry Briesath when he says "you can't out aim someone". He feels almost everyone can aim, they just can't consistently deliver the cue ball to the aim point because their mechanics are weak.

skipbales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I studied under Hall for 30 years.

Daily I teach CTE or CTC to many students.

randyg

If you were in my area I would spend some time working on this but that is what it would take. It is probably a good system but without a hands on instructor I don't think I can take advantage of it. I am going to experiment with some of the simpler explanations of it.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Fancy and complicated aiming systems are a waste of time until you have a perfect or near perfect PSR and stroke .
In fact, they make people's game worse by over complicating it .