$2000 Bank Bend Challenge

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member

The first person who can post a video showing a bank shot bending around a 1" obstacle (less than 1/2 a ball width) will win $2000! And if nobody is able to beat the challenge, the person who is able to bend the ball the most (i.e., more than anybody else) will receive $200. The competition will remain open until the end of July, 2016.

Here's a video showing you how to set up your shot and take the simple measurement required:

NV H.4 - $2000 Bank Bend Challenge

More information, including the detailed rules for the challenge, can be found on the $2000 Bank Bend Challenge website.

I will update this thread with the attempts as they are posted so we can see who will get the cash, and so people will know what they need to beat.

Bob Jewett and I look forward to seeing the best that is possible, and we look forward to rewarding it with the cash.

Good luck,
Dave

Luxury

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That was an awesome thread and this is an awesome challenge. Soooooo...am I hitting the cue ball at 2oclock? 2:30? I have no clue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
That was an awesome thread and this is an awesome challenge. Soooooo...am I hitting the cue ball at 2oclock? 2:30? I have no clue.
I'm not exactly sure what the best hit is. It might vary with the person and the equipment. For me, follow seems to work the best so far. I think this helps me to get the OB slightly airborne with slight backspin at the cushion which seems to help.

When we're done with the challenge, the best way to hit it should be much more evident. I think the people who participate will also know whether or not the technique is actually useful to them in game situations.

Good luck,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I think I should get paid something just for being able to set the shot up!
Sorry about that, but the careful setup and simple measurement are required to make the video evidence convincing.

Good luck,
Dave

Luxury

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not exactly sure what the best hit is. It might vary with the person and the equipment. For me, follow seems to work the best so far. I think this helps me to get the OB slightly airborne with slight backspin at the cushion which seems to help.

When we're done with the challenge, the best way to hit it should be much more evident. I think the people who participate will also know whether or not the technique is actually useful to them in game situations.

Good luck,

Dave

Thank you kindly.

crww

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
pro 8?

Just for clarification proposes, I assume my GC3 pro 8 (8.5) is also eligible.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just watching this video outta be worth $50.00. Are you saying it CAN'T be done? If you live in Florida or South Texas its a common shot. You guys in Cali or Colorado must not know what can be done in humid conditions. I've seen RafaelMartinez hit banks in Houston that looked more like masse's than banks.

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
Just watching this video outta be worth $50.00. Are you saying it CAN'T be done? If you live in Florida or South Texas its a common shot. You guys in Cali or Colorado must not know what can be done in humid conditions. I've seen RafaelMartinez hit banks in Houston that looked more like masse's than banks.

stop typing and go get a video ;)

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
Sorry about that, but the careful setup and simple measurement are required to make the video evidence convincing.

Good luck,
Dave

I was just kidding around with you. It looks like a very cool shot to attempt.

nick serdula

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
And I can do this better than anyone in the world Gaff bet

Video the first single bank. Lower the end slate. Shoot slow and with spin too. Changes everything except the unpercieved gaff.
Shouldn't take money like that but someone will.
Nick :)

SouthernDraw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Assumption that airborne ball can't curve?

I read just a little about this debate in another thread that was rather lengthy. But I was just wondering why it is assumed that a ball can't curve when airborne, when rather young and inexperienced kids can throw a curve ball playing baseball?

BTW, I have no opinion about the outcome of this debate. However, I expect that Dr Dave is correct for two reasons. First, I learned in the first month of pool room experience to NEVER bet on another man's bet (although he has no money to win in this instance). And second, he understands the laws of physics better than anyone on this board.

Anyway, thanks in advance for any replies.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Just watching this video outta be worth $50.00.
Again, we need the careful setup and simple measurement to make video submital convincing. Also, the setup tests if a somebody can bend around an obstacle with an accurate hit. I don't think that is asking for much if the technique is of practical use in real game situations.

Are you saying it CAN'T be done?
Not at all. I've always said it could be done. I also demonstrate it being done in the video. And one point of the challenge is to find out how much (not if) the ball can be bent.

If you live in Florida or South Texas its a common shot. You guys in Cali or Colorado must not know what can be done in humid conditions. I've seen RafaelMartinez hit banks in Houston that looked more like masse's than banks.
... then it should be easy for you and others to crush the challenge and claim the cheese.

BTW, I grew up in New Orleans and still visit fairly often, so I am well aware of how humidity affects playing conditions.

Regards,
Dave

Last edited:

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Video the first single bank. Lower the end slate. Shoot slow and with spin too. Changes everything except the unpercieved gaff.
Shouldn't take money like that but someone will.
Nick :)
Im not exactly sure what you mean, but I think the procedure and rules prevent "trickery" like this. Also, if a slow bank curves, the trickery will be obvious.

Regards,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I read just a little about this debate in another thread that was rather lengthy. But I was just wondering why it is assumed that a ball can't curve when airborne, when rather young and inexperienced kids can throw a curve ball playing baseball?
A baseball can curve a significant amount because it has laces and because it is thrown much faster and over a much larger distance than a pool bank shot. A pool ball can curve while airborne, but the amount would be much, much too small to see or even measure. Practically speaking, a pool ball heads in a perfectly straight line relative to the table while it is in the air.

IBTW, I have no opinion about the outcome of this debate. However, I expect that Dr Dave is correct for two reasons. First, I learned in the first month of pool room experience to NEVER bet on another man's bet (although he has no money to win in this instance). And second, he understands the laws of physics better than anyone on this board.
Thank you for your kind statements; but to be clear, there is no debate here. As John, Mark, I, and others have demonstrated, a bank can most definitely be curved in the short direction. The purpose for the challenge is to determine how much.

I look forward to seeing the best bend attempt. I'm meeting with some good local bankers this week to see what they can do. I'll post the videos when they are ready

For those going for the cash,
Good luck

Last edited:

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
A few people have posted videos of bent banks on Facebook, Youtube, and via e-mail, but not one person has followed the procedure and rules properly, so we still haven't had any official entries yet; although, I'm sure we'll get some soon. I can't imagine pool players turning down a chance at an automatic $200 and a free chance at $2000, just for executing a single pool shot.

Again, all of the rules and requirements for an official entry are listed here:

Good luck,
Dave

PS: We made a few slight changes to the rules to make them more open and clear. For example, now we allow any table size 10' or less.