US International 9-Ball Open Details Released

oldzilla

Accu-Stats Messenger
Silver Member
USIO 2018.PNG

The U.S. International 9-Ball Open
Norfolk, Virginia
October 21-27, 2018

Pat Fleming takes immense pride in officially announcing the U.S. International 9-Ball Open!
It will be staged at the Sheraton Waterside Hotel in Norfolk, Virginia.

This will be the fourth straight year that the Sheraton will be hosting a major global 9-Ball event.
As in the past, the Sheraton will provide all of the creature comforts that you would expect from a world class hotel. Discounted rates on hotel rooms are offered for spectators as well as for contestants. An assortment of meal options will be available including food stations in the ballroom and full course menus in their City Dock Norfolk restaurant.

The U.S. Open 9-Ball Championships was an annual event that will skip 2018 and continue in Las Vegas, Nevada in 2019 under the auspices of Matchroom Sports.

Quick U.S. International 9-Ball Open Details

Play Dates: October 21-27, 2018 (Sunday thru Saturday)
Size of Field: 128 players
Entry Fee: $1,000
Added Money: $50,000
First Prize: $40,000. Pays 32 places.
Format: Double Elimination, Race to 11. Finals to 13.
Site: Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel
Discounted Hotel Room Rate: $105.00 plus tax for a single or double
Where: Norfolk, Virginia, USA
Vendor Booths on site for your billiard supply needs
Sanctioned by: World Pool Association (WPA)
Pay-Per-View by Accu-Stats Video Productions
Fox Sports International for TV exposure
Live Scoring by AZ Billiards
Major Sponsors: Diamond Billiard Products, Simonis Cloth, and Aramith Balls
Tournament Websites: www.USIO9.com and www.accu-stats.com

As the tournament producer, Fleming will be responsible for every aspect of the event, including entry fees, added money, and prize money.

The Behrman’s Q-Master Billiards is a short distance away and will accommodate attendees with yet another option for pool tables and restaurants.

The $50,000 in added money insures that the event will be sanctioned by the WPA as a Tier 3 event awarding WPA points to the high finishers. The projected $162,000 in prize money will be deposited into a Bank of America account in Norfolk, VA. This Bank of America (walking distance) will gladly cash prize money checks provided proper identification is presented.

ENTER AS A CONTESTANT NOW:
http://bit.ly/USIOEntryfees

There are several ways to pay your $1,000 entry fee. They are:
Mail check or money order payable to U.S. International Open, LLC and mail to:
U.S. International Open, PO Box 299, Bloomingdale, New Jersey 07403
Pay online with a debit/credit card or PayPal.
Pay on site with money order or cash (only if the field is not full).

RESERVE YOUR HOTEL ROOM NOW ($105 Discount Rate, single/double):
http://bit.ly/Sheratonrooms2018

RESERVE TV ARENA SEATS (Starting April 16):
http://bit.ly/dailyseats

Any Questions? Contact:
Pat Fleming
U.S. International 9-Ball Open
PO Box 299
Bloomingdale, NJ 07403
973-838-7089
pat.fleming@usio9.com

Bic D

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't want to open a can of worms but reading the the post relating to the events and more specifically the prize money awarded for this event...

"The projected $162,000 in prize money will be deposited into a Bank of America account in Norfolk, VA. This Bank of America (walking distance) will gladly cash prize money checks provided proper identification is presented."

I have been out of the game for a good amount of years but has there been a problem with paying players at this event?

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
View attachment 489551

Norfolk, Virginia
October 21-27, 2018

Pat Fleming takes immense pride in officially announcing the U.S. International 9-Ball Open!

This will be the fourth straight year that the Sheraton will be hosting a major global 9-Ball event.
As in the past, the Sheraton will provide all of the creature comforts that you would expect from a world class hotel. Discounted rates on hotel rooms are offered for spectators as well as for contestants. An assortment of meal options will be available including food stations in the ballroom and full course menus in their City Dock Norfolk restaurant.

The U.S. Open 9-Ball Championships was an annual event that will skip 2018 and continue in Las Vegas, Nevada in 2019 under the auspices of Matchroom Sports.

As the tournament producer, Fleming will be responsible for every aspect of the event, including entry fees, added money, and prize money.

The Behrman’s Q-Master Billiards is a short distance away and will accommodate attendees with yet another option for pool tables and restaurants.

The $50,000 in added money insures that the event will be sanctioned by the WPA as a Tier 3 event awarding WPA points to the high finishers. The projected $162,000 in prize money will be deposited into a Bank of America account in Norfolk, VA. This Bank of America (walking distance) will gladly cash prize money checks provided proper identification is presented.

Any Questions? Contact:
Pat Fleming
PO Box 299
Bloomingdale, NJ 07403
973-838-7089
pat.fleming@usio9.com

I'm glad to see that Pat is following through with this event. It should be a good one. I do have one question though. 128 players times $1,000 equals $128,000. Add $50,00 and the total comes to $178,000 and not $162,000 as listed above. I think that discrepancy should be explained.

stevelomako

Things could be worse
Silver Member
My question is:

$1000 entry fee x 128 players = $128,000
$50,000 added money

Adds up to $178,000

Why is the "projected prize money" $162,000???

Michael Andros

tiny balls, GIANT pockets
Silver Member
I'm assuming this is the tournament "debut" ( 1st annual ) and all stats / former winners, etc, for the U.S. Open will revert to the 2019 "Vegas" tournament, correct? Or am I missing something...

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
My question is:

$50,000 added money

Adds up to $178,000

Steve,

My guess is the "missing" money will pay for Diamond to deliver and set up the 16 or so nine foot tables and the associated lighting along with the table rental fees.

Lyn

ImaPoolnut

I'm just a PoolNut
Silver Member
where does the extra $15k go?

My question is:

$50,000 added money

Adds up to $178,000

I'm not playing, but I can only assume Pat and his crew don't do all this for free. $15k for his efforts to keep the best tournament in US history running with integrity and everyone gets paid doesn't seem too tough a pill to swallow.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Its probably the entry fees for the prior champions of the "US Open 9 Ball".

Pat first announced this event before Matchroom did the "new US Open 9 ball". And he said something to the affect that he would honor past champions wiht free entry. Then then Mathrcoom made their announcement, and Pat is kind of stuck with what he said.

Anyway, that is my 2 cent guess:)

*Edit:

-The money is off 16k and there are exactly 16 players that are past champions of the US Open on the confirmed list.
-This same accounting was used before and discussed on here before. I know you boys all remember that... I know I do:)

Last edited:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I'm glad to see that Pat is following through with this event. It should be a good one. I do have one question though. 128 players times $1,000 equals $128,000. Add $50,00 and the total comes to $178,000 and not $162,000 as listed above. I think that discrepancy should be explained.

My question is:

$50,000 added money

Adds up to $178,000

$125 green fee...not unreasonable...but should be mentioned.

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Its probably the entry fees for the prior champions of the "US Open 9 Ball".

Pat first announced this event before Matchroom did the "new US Open 9 ball". And he said something to the affect that he would honor past champions wiht free entry. Then then Mathrcoom made their announcement, and Pat is kind of stuck with what he said.

Anyway, that is my 2 cent guess:)

*Edit:

-The money is off 16k and there are exactly 16 players that are past champions of the US Open on the confirmed list.
-This same accounting was used before and discussed on here before. I know you boys all remember that... I know I do:)

thumbs.gif

kkdanamatt

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

The previous16 US Open Champions are receiving free entry.
That's what was promised and Pat is a man of his word.
There are no green fees.
There is no money taken out for table set up.
There is no money taken out for expenses.
100% of the money collected and added will be paid back to the players.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
There is something called Full Disclosure and it wasn't applied here. In actuality there aren't 128 entries at $1,000 each. There are only 112 paid entries. So the total purse is somewhat misleading. I do know that in past U.S. Open's where Barry gave free entries to past champions, he paid the entry fees himself so all the money was in the purse as promised. Things like this should be disclosed and not hidden.

patscue

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
For the last three years, previous U.S. Open champions were given free entry. Neither Barry, nor anyone else, paid those fees.
The same will apply this year. Matchroom for the U.S. Open in 2019 is doing the same thing.
But thanks for calling me and inquiring.

Pat Fleming

Last edited:

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Agreed - for full disclosure, seems like they should be stipulating that the 16 past champions will have their entry fees waved, which explains the discrepancy you've discovered.

Last edited:

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I doubt half will show up to play-so that should mean more paying players and more money in prize pool-no?

Personally seeing as Matchroom is offering free entry to past US Open Winners, Pat should drop this whole thing next year.

stevelomako

Things could be worse
Silver Member
The previous16 US Open Champions are receiving free entry.
That's what was promised and Pat is a man of his word.
There are no green fees.
There is no money taken out for table set up.
There is no money taken out for expenses.
100% of the money collected and added will be paid back to the players.

There is something called Full Disclosure and it wasn't applied here. In actuality there aren't 128 entries at $1,000 each. There are only 112 paid entries. So the total purse is somewhat misleading. I do know that in past U.S. Open's where Barry gave free entries to past champions, he paid the entry fees himself so all the money was in the purse as promised. Things like this should be disclosed and not hidden.

For the last three years, previous U.S. Open champions were given free entry. Neither Barry, nor anyone else, paid those fees.
The same will apply this year. Matchroom for the U.S. Open in 2019 is doing the same thing.
But thanks for calling me and inquiring.

Pat Fleming

Well, since this isn't the US Open anymore and there are 22 living former winners anyway (not just 16) it might have been worth adding another sentence explaining it.

There was one question asked and then there were a few "guesses" at answering it.

Getting an attitude about it doesn't help anyone. Do you want endless phone calls and endless uneducated guesses and misinformation getting out there or is it easier to just answer questions on here and be done with it?

Before the last 3 years, Barry did pay out of his pocket for whatever "free" entries there were, correct?

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Before the last 3 years, Barry did pay out of his pocket for whatever "free" entries there were, correct?

There were definitely years where all 16 did not have their fee paid by anyone after the event ran into real financial trouble and i think BB had a run-in with some players- For most of its existence the fee was paid but not sure if it was BB or it just came out of the purse.

The custom started when Allen Hopkins refused to play the year after he won it, unless his fee was paid.

RobertaAgnor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
View attachment 489551

Norfolk, Virginia
October 21-27, 2018

Any Questions? Contact:
Pat Fleming
PO Box 299
Bloomingdale, NJ 07403
973-838-7089
pat.fleming@usio9.com

Can't wait & I'm so glad this is happening; I'll definitely be there to support!

Positively Ralf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why are people arguing about purses? Why is that so important? There is still a lot of money up for grabs for the winner.

Pat, is there any chance of implenting break boxes? What about other rules to try to make it a bit harder for the breakers? I don't care much for 9 ball but I want to support this event.