Biggest pet peeve when beating someone

Derek7646

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To me, the most annoying and most common thing i hear when i beat somebody is "i played terrible" "i couldn't make a ball" or anything along those lines. Its like they have to put down your victory and justify a loss to themselves instead of saying "good game".

I beat somebody for four hours straight last week, a guy on one of my teams who said he wanted to play against me fully expecting to lose but to get some good practice. I said alright, because we both have a big tournament coming up and i need him playing his best. Just playing for fun, i beat him 40ish to 1 in 8 ball and the whole time he was just talking about how terrible he was playing. Same thing happened to me last Thursday in APA. I played this 7 even 6-6 in 8 ball. Beat him 6-1, the 1 being me cross banking the 8 like a dummy and scratching. I had two break and runs and every game was 1 inning. After this butthole shattering loss, he had the audacity to say that he played terrible, like he had anything to do with the results of our match.

Not trying to brag or be cocky, just stating some recent experiences and i know i'm far from top of the totem pole as far as skills go, just wondering if anyone else has some "bad beat" stories from their opponents, or some colorful phrases you come across when you absolutely massacre somebody.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To me, the most annoying and most common thing i hear when i beat somebody is "i played terrible" "i couldn't make a ball" or anything along those lines. Its like they have to put down your victory and justify a loss to themselves instead of saying "good game".

I beat somebody for four hours straight last week, a guy on one of my teams who said he wanted to play against me fully expecting to lose but to get some good practice. I said alright, because we both have a big tournament coming up and i need him playing his best. Just playing for fun, i beat him 40ish to 1 in 8 ball and the whole time he was just talking about how terrible he was playing. Same thing happened to me last Thursday in APA. I played this 7 even 6-6 in 8 ball. Beat him 6-1, the 1 being me cross banking the 8 like a dummy and scratching. I had two break and runs and every game was 1 inning. After this butthole shattering loss, he had the audacity to say that he played terrible, like he had anything to do with the results of our match.

Not trying to brag or be cocky, just stating some recent experiences and i know i'm far from top of the totem pole as far as skills go, just wondering if anyone else has some "bad beat" stories from their opponents, or some colorful phrases you come across when you absolutely massacre somebody.
It works both ways and it has a whole lot to do with the difference in the skill levels of the two opponents. The weaker of the two player's games is most always going to regress when playing against a better more experienced opponent and you'll often hear the weaker player comment that this is the worst they've played in a long time. Of course, we all know it has everything to do with who they are playing. I've been on both sides of that situation, so either way, I tend to just not say anything, and focus on the game and trying my best.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Guy sounds like a a^*wipe loser. Who cares what douches like this say? I avoid these jerkoffs like the plague. Bad juju being around people like that.

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
I'd have beaten that guy...except he played better.

I guess the real question is...what do you say when you lose?

Derek7646

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah, he didn't seem like a terrible fellow but i had just met him that day and played for a short while, not enough to judge him as horrible human being. When in league, i don't get the luxury of choosing who i can and cannot play/deal with. I have a few ragers that always want to punch the wall when i beat them, guys like this and people who complain about my handicap.

Well, i lost three times that i can remember in the last six months.

My friend who is an open player and takes this tournament for 1st every other week said that i beat three great players and lost to a chump and a real good shooter. Its an open race to 3 on Wednesday's, non handicap event. The first guy shit in two 9 balls from smashing the cue in the general direction of the 9 ball and i choked on another, hanging the 9, losing to that guy 2-3. I shook his hand with a half smile, as i know i was better than him but i got bamboozled. Later in the same tourney, i got knocked by a good player who boofed in one awful 9ball carom but he was a great player otherwise, beat me 3-2 and ran the other two racks with one decent safety. I shook his hand and said good game.

The other time i lost was the same situation, different person, albeit less lucky/shit in 9 ball combos and more just too good to pass up nine ball combos in a double jeopardy type league.

I never try to be that guy making excuses. If somebody beats me straight up, good game and a handshake. If someone beats me from pure dog doodoo, its a handshake and a "you know what you did" half smile. I do more beating myself up after the fact than i do trash talking and making excuses to the person that beat me.

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
My point being..you can't really control others, only yourself. So..don't let the others upset you. I know it's easier said than done...

Good on you...a handshake and saying little to nothing is best.

bradsh98

Bradshaw Billiard Service
Silver Member
Yeah, he didn't seem like a terrible fellow but i had just met him that day and played for a short while, not enough to judge him as horrible human being. When in league, i don't get the luxury of choosing who i can and cannot play/deal with. I have a few ragers that always want to punch the wall when i beat them, guys like this and people who complain about my handicap.

My friend who is an open player and takes this tournament for 1st every other week said that i beat three great players and lost to a chump and a real good shooter. Its an open race to 3 on Wednesday's, non handicap event. The first guy shit in two 9 balls from smashing the cue in the general direction of the 9 ball and i choked on another, hanging the 9, losing to that guy 2-3. I shook his hand with a half smile, as i know i was better than him but i got bamboozled. Later in the same tourney, i got knocked by a good player who boofed in one awful 9ball carom but he was a great player otherwise, beat me 3-2 and ran the other two racks with one decent safety. I shook his hand and said good game.

The other time i lost was the same situation, different person, albeit less lucky/shit in 9 ball combos and more just too good to pass up nine ball combos in a double jeopardy type league.

I never try to be that guy making excuses. If somebody beats me straight up, good game and a handshake. If someone beats me from pure dog doodoo, its a handshake and a "you know what you did" half smile. I do more beating myself up after the fact than i do trash talking and making excuses to the person that beat me.

Sounds to me like the issue is more in the way that you perceive the comments. Your perception is that the opponents are discrediting you. Perhaps they are in disbelief, and truly feel that they missed opportunities. Perhaps their comments are not intended to be a shot at you, as much as they are a personal acceptance of the missed opportunities.

DaveK

Still crazy after all these years
Silver Member
Not being there and not knowing the participants I cannot comment on the situation. However I do know that we don't always play at our peak, or even our average. We play at a range of levels. I certainly do not enjoy playing at a lower level but it happens ... and sometimes I complain about it. On the flip side I enjoy when I play at a high level and have often commented to my opponent at the time that my play exceeds my typical standard. Of course one needs a bit of objectivity ... and some people are just whiney :lol:

Dave

Derek7646

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sounds to me like the issue is more in the way that you perceive the comments. Your perception is that the opponents are discrediting you. Perhaps they are in disbelief, and truly feel that they missed opportunities. Perhaps their comments are not intended to be a shot at you, as much as they are a personal acceptance of the missed opportunities.

True, that is how i perceive it, maybe not how its intended. I just found it hard to look past it when its said in the middle of the match and immediately after, but i do see where you're coming from there.

That's definitely true, Dave, well put. I am definitely guilty of this myself from time to time. I have found the better i have gotten, the narrower the level, but its still true now for sure. I always kind of thought of that as being in stroke or not being in stroke, never really thought of it like playing at several different speeds depending on who im playing, what i'm playing for and my focus that particular day.

tim913

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had two guys that I did not know start yelling at me to play. I was at the bar and they were at the table with their girlfriends, I guess wanting to show off by beating a player, even though I did not want to play them. I played each of them 2 sets of 9 ball... 7-0, 7-0, 7-0, 7-0. I heard every excuse to wrong size table, my home table, one of them had contact lens problem, it was sad. Both guys went to the restroom to 'get their heads straight' I would imagine, and while they were gone I gave the money I won back to their girlfriends. I figured there would be nothing more humbling then having their girlfriends give them back their money :)

mvp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Players also believe their A game is their normal game. So in most cases they’re trying to rationalize their big defeat without personaly tarnishing their own beliefs in themselves. It’s easier to say you’ve never played this bad ever, compared to, this is my average game and I got beat.

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oscar Dominguez said it best. Most games aren't won, they are lost. Did your opponent gift wrap most of the games by rattling a ball or playing bad position or a bad safety?

This applies more to lower skilled players but unless everyone is running out after the break, the player who loses did play poorly.

noMoreSchon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd have beaten that guy...except he played better.

I guess the real question is...what do you say when you lose?

I apologize. I know when I get the best of someone, sometimes they don't play up to

the standard I expect them to. They played terrible. And I have no ill feelings when they

vocalize that to me. When I play terrible, I feel bad, because I want to play against

everyones best game, and in return they should want mine. If I can't deliver, well what a

waste of time. It is never fun to beat someone 40-1, especially if you need them to play well

in an upcoming tournament. If you want to feel good about that,

go right ahead, not my cup of tea, no challenge no fun.

Last edited:

WinnerBreaks

Registered

That's funny. You said you just met him but in your original post you said he's on your team.

Do yourself a favor and just focus on your own game.

strmanglr scott

All about Focus
Silver Member
I couldn't play for 4 hours beating someone unless it was for money. My game breaks down, I lose focus and concentration. However, flip it around, I can play someone for four hours and lose and be focused the whole time. Of course, rather not play for money in that situation.

I remember playing a friend a long time ago before I really worked at learning the game. He did know the game and fairly well at that. He beat me like 30 games to 1. I told him afterward how lucky he was getting with his leaves. He just laughed and said yeah, it was luck. Obviously now I know better.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
You beat him 40 something games to 1 ? yeah, he played like crap. I don't care if your name is Earl or Shane ;)

Nobody loses that bad without playing like horseshit. Granted, you might have won, but not 40 freaking games, lol

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
People Management = $$$$ for years

You're missing a wonderful opportunity to create and embrace a regular "customer" by not being able to emotionally separate between 'personal' and 'business'.
This is the type of player you can milk for YEARS if you handle things properly.
"I know, you had a bad night, I've seen you play a lot better than this, maybe you can have better luck next time".
"I got all the rolls...it was just a bad night for you"
"I hope when we play again that I can be as lucky as I was tonight...I've seen you play so much better".
See how it's done?
Learn PEOPLE MANAGEMENT and watch your bankroll get fatter while they keep on loving to get beat by you.
(you don't make money playing pool by being the big bad wolf.......you make money playing pool by being the wolf in sheep's clothing)
:grin:

pab

Center ball can do it all
Silver Member
A few years ago I was an APA 5. My game was extremely inconsistent. One day I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn, the next day I was shooting the lights out.

I was set up in a 9-ball match to play a well-known and pretty decent 6. The race was 46-38, for those of you familiar with the APA scoring model. He was racing to 46.

I was up on him by a pretty wide margin. I had sunk the 9 and when he went to rack, he slammed the rack on the table and said at the top of his voice, "you're a f*%king sandbagger!!"

I just said in a calm voice, "I would appreciate it if you didn't say that because it is simply not true." That was the last rack as I broke and wound up beating him 38-12.

It bothered me for a while because he was pretty well known and there were several people in the joint looking at me out the corners of their eyes. He was tight with the LO, too. Finally, I came to the realization that it was an unfortunate situation, but it wasn't going to stop me from playing or being timid about matching up against someone else. However, after that incident, whenever I played in a local tournament that was handicapped, I would always ask my opponent to play even if they were rated higher than I was.

I'm not looking to turn this into a sandbagger debate, but you asked if anyone came across some colorful phrases when you absolutely massacre them. Well, that's about as colorful as it gets.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Slow play and moaning about the leaves and the shots missed.......friggin’ cry babies.
Even worse are players that narrate their shots afterwards.. They gripe about the way
they played the shot or the roll of the cue ball or else pat themselves on the back from
running 6 or 7 balls on a wide open table layout I could finish shooting opposite handed.

Players that are motor mouths or frustrated sports announcers or constant moaners are
I suppose part of the pool community but personally, not folks I play with more than once.

Pool can be played without exchanging any communications between the players and
it’s truly enjoyable for the pleasures of simply playing. It’s the needless commetary that
some players just can’t resist. They narrate after they miss and even after pocketing
the ball and attaining great shape.....who cares? For all I know the shape could have
accidental or even might have been played wrong but only the shooter knows for sure.

I play pool to play pool, not to discuss current events, or discuss sports or problems
or anything else. We can do that before or later but not during the play of the game .
That does not suggest one has to behave like a choir mouse in church either. Pool
can be socially interactive besides being competitively approached.....just be mindful.

Matt B.