American 14.1.................

Seth C.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
DA smoked him. Waiting on next pair.

Appleton played well, but Shaun played poorly. Impatient (went for home runs on multiple occasions, and came out well only once), mental errors (one home run attempt was highly unlikely to produce a next shot, and didn’t), and poor execution (missed two simple, open shots). I suspect that he would probably agree with that assessment, after reviewing the tape. Was pulling for him to play well, but it was just a really bad day at the office for him.

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In my youth, Watching Lou Butera ''run around the table'' was good for the game of pool.

His speed record, has it ever been broken? I think it was a 37 minute 14.1 match, he wasn't running out, he ''RAN''. :thumbup:
He ran 125 and out in 22 minutes -- a record that's never even been remotely approached, and likely never will be.

He was mentally wired differently than most mortals -- literally a true savant when it came to his mind instantaneously perceiving 14.1 patterns and his ingrained muscle memories enacting them like high-speed machinery.

The process was so automatic that none of his fellow pros, nor Lou himself, could understand what enabled it for "Machine Gun Lou" and no one else.

The causes of truly savant-level skills are never explicable -- especially when they only emerge situationally . . . in folks who are otherwise quite normal or average in all other activities. A reverse -- not too apt -- example would be lifelong, seemingly incurable, stutterers whose stutter completely disappears when they sing the words of a song. Different part of the brain at work, I guess.

Arnaldo

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He ran 125 and out in 22 minutes -- a record that's never even been remotely approached, and likely never will be.

He was mentally wired differently than most mortals -- literally a true savant when it came to his mind instantaneously perceiving 14.1 patterns and his ingrained muscle memories enacting them like high-speed machinery.

The process was so automatic that none of his fellow pros, nor Lou himself, could understand what enabled it for "Machine Gun Lou" and no one else.

The causes of truly savant-level skills are never explicable -- especially when they only emerge situationally . . . in folks who are otherwise quite normal or average in all other activities. A reverse -- not too apt -- example would be lifelong, seemingly incurable, stutterers whose stutter completely disappears when they sing the words of a song. Different part of the brain at work, I guess.

Arnaldo

I know some extremely fast 9 ball players that turn into snails when playing 14.1.

On the other hand, I know lots of really slow 14.1 players that are speed demons at 9 ball.

Jeff

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
yea big kudos for the stream, for listening to the viewers wishes on the table end issue, and for a top notch stream in general, commentary, stats, etc. are these the guys who did the maryland state 14.1 tournaments from some years ago?

is there a non facebook link to brackets?

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
yea big kudos for the stream, for listening to the viewers wishes on the table end issue, and for a top notch stream in general, commentary, stats, etc. are these the guys who did the maryland state 14.1 tournaments from some years ago?

is there a non facebook link to brackets?
BSN's FB page is it afaik.

strmanglr scott

All about Focus
Silver Member
You know, I've seen it many times on here. Why doesn't pool get it's due on TV.

Here I'm watching the live feed on you tube with...855 other people watching.

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Semi 1: Ouschan vs Chinakov
Semi 2: Lion vs Teutscher

brackets.jpg

Last edited:

kkdanamatt

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Final four

Information from Q-Master

Chinahov vs. Ouschan 11:00 AM
Pagulayan vs. Teutscher 2:00 PM
Winners play the Finals at 6:00PM

This was a spelling test.

Last edited:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
As if we needed any further proof, the Europeans remain the world's best 14.1 players, landing 7 of the 8 spots in the quarterfinals. Only Pagulayan was able to join them.

I've contended for years that it may be harder to win a European Straight Pool Championship than to win any straight pool event in the played United States. Peter Burrows and his American 14.1 Championship event threatens to change this if he keeps building on what he's doing here.

All who thought John Schmidt might win this event must ask themselves whether months of play on loose equipment is the best way to prepare for competing with the most elite on pro level equipment. Doesn't mean he's not a phenomenal player --- of course he is --- but he has rarely thrived in competition and this year is no different.

Congrats and good luck to the last few standing in this truly top notch event.

ShortBusRuss

Short Bus Russ - C Player
Silver Member
As if we needed any further proof, the Europeans remain the world's best 14.1 players, landing 7 of the 8 spots in the quarterfinals. Only Pagulayan was able to join them.

I've contended for years that it may be harder to win a European Straight Pool Championship than to win any straight pool event in the played United States. Peter Burrows and his American 14.1 Championship event threatens to change this if he keeps building on what he's doing here.

All who thought John Schmidt might win this event must ask themselves whether months of play on loose equipment is the best way to prepare for competing with the most elite on pro level equipment. Doesn't mean he's not a phenomenal player --- of course he is --- but he has rarely thrived in competition and this year is no different.

Congrats and good luck to the last few standing in this truly top notch event.

This is a fantastic tournament. Much better than the Charlie Williams events. The stream is better quality.. I like the commentators... Not so much purely dead money in the mix, and it's free. What's not to like?

I need to set aside some time and watch all the matches, but as for now... Learning a lot about how to handle specific break shots, the speed to use, etc. I was the best straight pool player in my Landesliga team last year, but this year, I am playing Oberliga/Verbandsliga, and need to step it up a bit. I was getting great break angles last match in Frankfurt, but was either missing the break shot, or not hitting it with the correct speed. Got a match today in Darmstadt.. We'll see if I get to play straight pool or not.

Last edited:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

Arnaldo

It was 150 & out:eek:

I went to Lou’s House of Champions in PA a long time ago...I was a kid who just wanted to
see him play....never caught him...we became friends for a short time later in life.
...many of the regulars attested that they timed him once in one of his hot streaks...
...he ran a hundred in ten minutes.....racking included...:shocked:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
This is a fantastic tournament. Much better than the Charlie Williams events. The stream is better quality.. I like the commentators... Not so much purely dead money in the mix, and it's free. What's not to like?

I need to set aside some time and watch all the matches, but as for now... Learning a lot about how to handle specific break shots, the speed to use, etc. I was the best straight pool player in my Landesliga team last year, but this year, I am playing Oberliga/Verbandsliga, and need to step it up a bit. I was getting great break angles last match in Frankfurt, but was either missing the break shot, or not hitting it with the correct speed. Got a match today in Darmstadt.. We'll see if I get to play straight pool or not.

Wishing you good luck in stepping up your game.

If I might dare to make an observation, Russ, don't overlook how your attack angles can sometimes dictate both your stroke and speed selections, not only on primary, but also on secondary break shots. For example, do you know when to use inside english, outside english , high ball or low ball when you attack a cluster of balls? It's a subject worth discussing with your local 14.1 gurus.

Last edited:

ShortBusRuss

Short Bus Russ - C Player
Silver Member
Wishing you good luck in stepping up your game.

If I might dare to make an observation, Russ, don't overlook how your attack angles can sometimes dictate both your stroke and speed selections, not only on primary, but also on secondary break shots. For example, do you know when to use inside english, outside english , high ball or low ball when you attack a cluster of balls? It's a subject worth discussing with your local 14.1 gurus.

In my particular club, I am probably the most analytical and cerebral player.. It's what allows me to compete without putting in the effort to really true up my stroke. Any bigger runs by them are due to shotmaking, not proper play. This is actually more common than you would think amongst the Germans, below Oberliga level. There is very much an emphasis on shotmaking over control of the table.

Realistically.. This 14.1 tourney has by far the best straight pool commentary I've ever heard, and hope BSN does more of it. Very minute things, like taking the polish off the cue ball to improve the grip, while leaving on all the other balls to promote them opening up... Opening up the rack towards the top rail, versus center table. And why.

This is in direct contradiction to what I have read about the game, but when they explained why, I get it. I am fully aware that you can open up towards the center if you have insurance balls hanging over the corners in case you glue to the back of the stack, but these commentators were noting before John was more than 4-5 balls into a rack, that John was likely going to clear all balls from around the stack, and then, and only then, would he open up the 6-7 ball cluster in the rack area.

They stressed that, even though one COULD often take the opportunity at secondary breaks earlier, I have seen in my own game that this does not work so well. It gives more opportunities to get frozen to a ball, even allowing for insurance balls. They both seem to have a very good grasp of the actual proper way to play many difficult/tricky situations, and they observe the problems 3-4 shots earlier than I would have noticed them.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Aha....I thought the score was wrong....thanx

pt -- I think the scoring was wrong again today for Alex, this time in his favor. When Alex made that last shot against Siekkinen -- the first ball of a new rack (15th ball of the prior rack) without racking the balls -- it was deemed to be his 150th point. By my count it was his 148th.

So yesterday the scoring made him risk losing after he was already out, and today the scoring had him out at 148 when getting to 150 was by no means a certainty.

[Of course, the players are responsible for the match score, so it is whatever they say it is. And I could be wrong.]