2019 WPA World 9 Ball - Qatar

CallShotCowboy

AZB Rose Gold
Gold Member
Silver Member
That's classic NASCAR and usually when they crash their cars after a race it's because they we're some how cheating and don't want to get caught with the after race inspection.

Like winning a Nascar race and then running your car into the wall - f'ing stupid!

Dont know who started this trend, but its idiotic.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
According to the promoter posts on their Facebook page they will have the event there for at least the next two years. :barf:

Yes, this was the 10th consecutive World 9-Ball event in Qatar, and the WPA is committed to two more years there (2020 and 2021). Here's the article announcing the extension a couple years ago: https://wpapool.com/the-world-9-ball-championship-to-stay-in-qatar-for-another-four-years/

I guess it was a good thing that someone (Qatar) stepped up to revive the event in 2010, but one certainly has to wonder why the WPA hasn't done something to make the event better than it has been.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I guess it was a good thing that someone (Qatar) stepped up to revive the event in 2010, but one certainly has to wonder why the WPA hasn't done something to make the event better than it has been.

Agreed. I don't think the main issue is that the event is in Qatar, but the production, the stream, the commentary and the pace of play are an abomination and the WPA should do something about it. These people in Qatar have kept this event going and have to be applauded at least for that.

RichSchultz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Agreed. I don't think the main issue is that the event is in Qatar, but the production, the stream, the commentary and the pace of play are an abomination and the WPA should do something about it. These people in Qatar have kept this event going and have to be applauded at least for that.
They don’t applaud...finger snaps. lol

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
4 hours for the final match? :eek:
No wonder ESPN made them into race to 9 back in the 80's.

AkGuy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Golly!

Was it Appleton who first popularized throwing a cue on the floor?

Gorst should of followed his cue toss by running back and forth like Filler has done, sticking his chest out, jumping on the table then going to the chair and sitting down and crying. That's a winning demonstration in this day and age!

I'm just old and like Efrens hand shake and "I got lucky" victory laps. Nothing wrong with these young guns celebrating, they are so adrenalin pumped they have to do something or they will burst! Heck, every sport celebrates when they win a title, I should encourage pool players to do the same.

Well done and congrats Fedor. I am sure we will see lots of you in the years to come. Please become an American citizen. Our MC Cup Team could use some diversity, like the Euro team has!

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Was it Appleton who first popularized throwing a cue on the floor?

Gorst should of followed his cue toss by running back and forth like Filler has done, sticking his chest out, jumping on the table then going to the chair and sitting down and crying. That's a winning demonstration in this day and age!

I'm just old and like Efrens hand shake and "I got lucky" victory laps. Nothing wrong with these young guns celebrating, they are so adrenalin pumped they have to do something or they will burst! Heck, every sport celebrates when they win a title, I should encourage pool players to do the same.

Well done and congrats Fedor. I am sure we will see lots of you in the years to come. Please become an American citizen. Our MC Cup Team could use some diversity, like the Euro team has!
That plastic cue did not sound great hitting the floor. :grin:

terryhanna

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Congrats to The Young Gun Fedor Gorst

And by the way that's a PoolActionTV patch he's wearing, just under the Diamond patch.:)

We need to get better patches made, kid wins a World Title and you can't even see it that good :mad: :banghead:

79790898_795345667604550_8540526172990078976_n.jpg

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yep, good for him that he won and all that, but the kid is boring AF to watch. That last rack was painful.

I'll give him taking time to get from the 1 to the 2, but after that...(all times are from when the previous ball was made)

2 ball - 39 sec
3 ball - 40 sec
4 ball - 41 sec
5 ball - 39 sec
7 ball - 36 sec
8 ball - 49 sec
9 ball - 12 sec

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2KD_vdtw9U&feature=youtu.be

RichSchultz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yep, good for him that he won and all that, but the kid is boring AF to watch. That last rack was painful.

I'll give him taking time to get from the 1 to the 2, but after that...(all times are from when the previous ball was made)

2 ball - 39 sec
3 ball - 40 sec
4 ball - 41 sec
5 ball - 39 sec
7 ball - 36 sec
8 ball - 49 sec
9 ball - 12 sec

how would your nerves be? remember being 19? cut him some slack.

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member

2 ball - 39 sec
3 ball - 40 sec
4 ball - 41 sec
5 ball - 39 sec
7 ball - 36 sec
8 ball - 49 sec
9 ball - 12 sec

His times weren't the problem.

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
how would your nerves be? remember being 19? cut him some slack.

It looked like nerves to me.
I feel like anyone questioning the
speed of that last rack haven't played in
the finals of a big tournament or
a set that was worth a great deal to them.

Very normal pace in those circumstances.
Then you add to the fact its a world championship
(which no one hear can fathom) and he's a
young guy.

Haysus thats alotta pressure.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
It looked like nerves to me.
I feel like anyone questioning the
speed of that last rack haven't played in
the finals of a big tournament or
a set that was worth a great deal to them.

Very normal pace in those circumstances.
Then you add to the fact its a world championship
(which no one hear can fathom) and he's a
young guy.

Haysus thats alotta pressure.

Get a grip, fella.

Filler 13 Biado 10 took 90 minutes in the 2018 final in Qatar. They knew about the pressure, too, but neither saw fit to spend an eternity on every shot the way Chang and Gorst did.

No, this is not a normal pace, but instead the slowest played pool most of us have ever watched, and a pace that belittles and disgraces our sport as entertainment.

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Get a grip, fella.

Filler 13 Biado 10 took 90 minutes in the 2018 final in Qatar. They knew about the pressure, too, but neither saw fit to spend an eternity on every shot the way Chang and Gorst did.

No, this is not a normal pace, but instead the slowest played pool most of us have ever watched, and a pace that belittles and disgraces our sport as entertainment.

Stu, I respect your opinion and agree with this post.
As you will see in my post you quoted I was talking
about the very last rack in this years final. That is it.

AkGuy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey Joey

I have trouble running a easy lay out some times and even if a miracle happened and I won a big tournament ain't no way I'm tossing one of my Pat Diveny cues. I'm kissing the sucker and gently putting it up.

Maybe the carbon fiber cues were purpose made for expressive victory celebrations?

When it hit the tile floor I was like dang, tough cue. I'm sure plenty of sponsors will offer him all the cues he will ever need. Heck of a shooter.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Stu, I respect your opinion and agree with this post.
As you will see in my post you quoted I was talking
about the very last rack in this years final. That is it.

Sorry, I misinterpreted your post as applying to the entire match. My bad.

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why were taking such a long time when they don't do that in other tournaments or gambling matches.

This was all throughout the tournament. I saw Billy, little Ko, Biado, Chang, and these while aren't the fastest players, but certainly not unreasonably slow.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

2 ball - 39 sec
3 ball - 40 sec
4 ball - 41 sec
5 ball - 39 sec
7 ball - 36 sec
8 ball - 49 sec
9 ball - 12 sec

I don’t think that’s bad for the winning rack of the world championship. I wouldn’t mind a 45-sec shot clock like the old US Open (although I prefer 30 sec). That match between Ko and Szolnik was much worse - getting down, aiming, getting back up, walking around, getting back down, etc.