2019 WPA World 9 Ball - Qatar

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No it isn't. 45 seconds is a perfect shot clock. A shot clock that isn't going to happen anyways.
Either 45 with no extens. or 30 with. 45sec with an extension is almost as bad as no clock. They also have to stop the rack inspections.

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
HUH?????????? There is NO reason a race-to-13 set of 9ball should take 4hrs, i don't care what the stakes are. This match with the slow play, waaaaaaay too many breaks and all the f^&king rack inspections was an absolute snooze-fest and i only saw 'bout half of it. No defense for this crap World title or no.

Couldn’t agree more about the rack inspections.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not defending slow play.

"If it were me, on that table at that stage of that championship, I’d take as long a time as needed or more (never less). The only reasons for taking less time are being in a hurry cos you’ve got to be somewhere else (rather unlikely), bottling it, being an idiot, or because there is a shot clock. It would be an unrealistic expectation for players in this tournament to want to fall into any of those categories."

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Clock question....??

Just curious, all this shot-clock talk has made me wonder: WHEN does the time start? When a player gets out of his chair and approaches table or after he reaches table and starts sizing-up their shot? Is there any standard procedure here or is at the whim of referee/TD?

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just curious, all this shot-clock talk has made me wonder: WHEN does the time start? When a player gets out of his chair and approaches table or after he reaches table and starts sizing-up their shot? Is there any standard procedure here or is at the whim of referee/TD?

I would think it would be once there are no balls moving on the table.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
They've already said that a clock will be used on all matches starting nxt year.

You'd of thought the WPA would of figured that out after HOW many decades have they been doing this? It has a feel of Old Politicians doing the work for a younger generation, that they have NOTHING in common with.

The US Open 9 ball has it right. Checking the rack is ok, but grooming/resetting after the fact is not allowed.

You get what you get, and the rackers (1 ref for 4 tables)....know what they are doing and get paid.

Snooker has it right, they don't tell you after running 40 points you have to play safe. One miss and you opponent can shoot till they miss, very exciting/kinda....but compared to up/down/look around WPA 9 ball. It's like going to the horse races, even if Snooker players play safeties for 20 minutes or more.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Here are the first-places prizes (in $thousands) and the winners for the men's (open) WPA World 9-Ball Championship:

2018 -- 40 Filler
2017 -- 40 Biado
2016 -- 40 Ouschan
2015 -- 30 Ko P-Y
2014 -- 30 Feijen

2013 -- 36 Hohmann
2012 -- 40 Appleton
2011 -- 36 Akagariyama
2010 -- 36 Bustamante
2009 -- not played

2008 -- not played
2007 -- 100 Peach
2006 -- 100 Alcano
2005 -- 75 Wu
2004 -- 75 Pagulayan

2003 -- 65 Hohmann
2002 -- 65 Strickland
2001 -- 65 Immonen
2000 -- 60 Chao
1999 -- ? Reyes and Varner (2 events)

[Source: AzB database]

1999 was the year Matchroom usurped the WPA and put on their own WPC without getting it sanctioned. They paid something like 60k for first, a big number back then (sadly it still is). The WPA tried to keep players from playing in it, threatening to ban them, but they went for the money anyway. Matchroom basically took the event away.

The WPA held their own version of the WPC afterwards and only a handful of top players attended. Varner won something like 10-15k for first. From then on the WPA had to play ball with Matchroom or become extinct.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Nah, Filler/Biado was about 123.4 minutes from lag to last ball, for an average of 5.4 minutes per game.

The Gorst/Chang final (going by the recording, which skips a few shots a couple times) was about 243 minutes, for an average of 10.1 minutes per game.

5-6 minutes per rack is not bad. 10 minutes per rack is very slow!
Personally I like a 30 second clock with one extension per game. Accu-Stats uses a 40 second clock which seems long but still much better than no shot clock.

Last edited:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Here's what I posted about Gorst in June during the European 9-ball Championships:

In October, when we were debating who should be the Team Europe wildcards for the Mosconi, I posted this:

Chamat failed to select Filler for the Mosconi in 2018 and a few weeks later Filler won the World 9-ball Championship. He then failed to select Gorst for Mosconi in 2019 and a few weeks later Gorst won the World 9-ball Championship. Not to take away from Skyler Woodward's excellence, but perhaps Marcus Chamat is Team USA's true MVP.

Stu knows Pool and pool players!

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You'd of thought the WPA would of figured that out after HOW many decades have they been doing this? It has a feel of Old Politicians doing the work for a younger generation, that they have NOTHING in common with.

The US Open 9 ball has it right. Checking the rack is ok, but grooming/resetting after the fact is not allowed.

You get what you get, and the rackers (1 ref for 4 tables)....know what they are doing and get paid.

Snooker has it right, they don't tell you after running 40 points you have to play safe. One miss and you opponent can shoot till they miss, very exciting/kinda....but compared to up/down/look around WPA 9 ball. It's like going to the horse races, even if Snooker players play safeties for 20 minutes or more.

Speaking of snooker. I just looked at the last 7 matches at this past weeks Scottish Open, and each players average shot time.

The longest was 29.6 sec and the shortest was 16.9 sec. The average was a little over 20 sec.

Yet some people think 45 sec is needed to decide how to play a shot in 9 ball.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
During the stream Ted L. said that a clock would be used starting next yr. Can't remember if he said it as WPA or QBSF decision.

Being in Qatar, they will be using a 60 second "hour glass" for a shot clock. Like the sands of time.....:rolleyes: