Troy Frank
Kurt England
Wally Bentley
Ben Jones

Last edited:

FeelDaShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Did you guys miss the "amateur only" part?

Yes, I did miss that in the original question. However, what criteria makes someone a professional?

1st Team
Billy Thorpe - 100% Pro. Played on last two Mosconi Cup teams.
Adam Smith - Retired Pro. Completely quit pool about three years ago after being barred from too many regional tournaments.
Shawn Putnam - Retired Pro. Still plays in amateur events at his local pool hall (Icebreakers)
Dee Adkins - Retired Pro. Focuses most of his energy on building the youth program.
Corey Deuel - 100% Pro. Played on the previous Mosconi Cup team and competes regularly in major events.

2nd Team
Danny Smith - 100% One Pocket Pro. Is he a pro at rotation pool? He's won some big bar box events but I don't recall him doing too well on the big tables. He never competes in major rotation events.
Alex Olinger - Possibly a low level pro? He won the SBE amateur open a few years ago I believe. He's also won some big bar box events. He also never really plays major big table tourneys.
Chris Szuter - Retired Pro? In his younger years he had played in major pro tournaments and did okay. For the past 10 or so years he's been focused on running the pool hall he owns and rarely plays. He doesn't compete in any major big table tournaments.
Shane Winters - Possibly a low level pro? He won the SBE amateur open a few years ago. He runs a concrete business in the warmer months. He's won some big bar box events. He never plays major big table tournaments.
Chris Bartram - Retired Pro. I don't think he plays at all anymore.

3rd Team
Shannon Murphy - Possibly a low level pro? He never plays major big table tournaments.
Ben Zimmer - Top Amateur. Doesn't compete much anymore.
Mark Maryo - Retired Pro. He is very old and recently started competing again in local amateur events.
Jason Balas - Top Amateur. Plays local amateur tournaments.
Fred "Scooter" Goodman - Top Amateur. Rarely shows his face anywhere.

4th Team
Ed Hancock - Possibly a low level pro? He rarely plays tournaments but he likes to setup big 10-ball action matches.
Troy Frank - Top Amateur. Doesn't play anymore that I'm aware of.
Kurt England - Top Amateur. Avid gambler and amateur bar box tournament player.
Wally Bentley - Top Amateur. Plays local amateur tournaments.
Ben Jones Top Amateur. Doesn't play much but occasionally shows up at tournaments.

Last edited:

FeelDaShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Plays at DCC.

They all play at DCC. It is a major tournament but it's also designed to attract amateur tournament players and avid gamblers so that's not included in the "major" tournaments I was referring to. A high majority of the DCC players are amateurs.

Last edited:

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They all play at DCC. It is a major tournament but it's also designed to attract amateur tournament players and avid gamblers so that's not included in the "major" tournaments I was referring to. A high majority of the DCC players are amateurs.

What about the US Open?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

briankenobi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I haven't seen Shannon play in any big event outside of DCC or big events around his room or money games near his room. I would consider him a mid to low level pro level game.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I haven't seen Shannon play in any big event outside of DCC or big events around his room or money games near his room. I would consider him a mid to low level pro level game.

Shannon Murphy is a very fine player. I believe he has two top 3 finishes in bank pool at the Derby City Classic and he has also cashed in the 10-ball.

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
There was an event streamed called "The Northwest Challenge" All amateurs, one team from Oregon, another from Washington. Held at Sam's billiards in Portland, Oregon on a tight pockets gold crown. Longer races, but generally a Mosconi cup like format. It was a lot of fun to watch...especially with "local knowledge" announcers in the booth. Players ranged from mid 600's to low 700's Fargos.

Wish I could remember who streamed it.

It would be great to see this format spread...neighboring States teams fighting it out.

(edit) Found it! Railbirds TV, the 2019 Northwest Cup, Here's the beginning...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxHV58bTcvU

Last edited:

9BallKY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shannon Murphy is a very fine player. I believe he has two top 3 finishes in bank pool at the Derby City Classic and he has also cashed in the 10-ball.

He also finished 3rd in the one pocket event at DCC. I don’t remember what the exact year but it was the year Alex beat Neils in the finals.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
He also finished 3rd in the one pocket event at DCC. I don’t remember what the exact year but it was the year Alex beat Neils in the finals.

Hey, you're right. I remember his double hill loss to Niels in the semis in 2016.