What is a good replacement motor for Cue Smith

JimBob

Emerick's Custom Cues
Silver Member
Looking for a good DC variable speed replacement motor for a Deluxe Cue Smith, I know some use the Penn State 1/2 hp, but looking for a motor that has enough Torque to core also. Looking for your valued opinion.

Thanks

GrimmCustomCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just went through this right before summer and you would probably need a 1.5-2Hp, maybe even a 2.5Hp DC motor to core constantly through a single piece of wood. And they are in no way cheap! My lathe has a 1/2hp DC and either the breaker popped or the motor over heated after about a minute. I just did what many others have done and added a 1Hp AC motor to the mix. The whole addition cost me about $150 after I purchased the motor, cord, switch, belts, materials to make a bracket to hold it and aluminum to make a pulley for it. Hope this info helps.

Rich

Last edited:

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member
I'd be shopping eBay for a treadmill mtr. & controller brd.
The mtr. that Kim suggests may do the job but it's still only 1/2 hp.
It may be all it can do to do the job.
1, 1-1/2, 2 & 2-1/2 hp treadmill mtrs are about 1/2 the price.
In stock , no waiting and wide selection. Have fun.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I use a 1/2 hp AC motor 1725 rpm for coring.

Kim

This is what I suggest doing. If anything jams on a DC motor you can burn out a controller or motor in seconds. An additional AC motor like Kim has added is the way to go.

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
This is what I suggest doing. If anything jams on a DC motor you can burn out a controller or motor in seconds. An additional AC motor like Kim has added is the way to go.

Chris told me how to do that........I stole the motor off an old shopsmith..........BTW it works great..

thanks

Kim

GBCues

Damn, still .002 TIR!
Gold Member
Silver Member
I suppose it's trvial, but when you spin a DC motor it becomes a generator, so as in one of the pictures, make sure the "idle" motor is unplugged.
Gary

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I suppose it's trvial, but when you spin a DC motor it becomes a generator, so as in one of the pictures, make sure the "idle" motor is unplugged.
Gary

Unplug it from the controller not just from the wall. That will stop the magnetic drag also.

JimBob

Emerick's Custom Cues
Silver Member
Sorry guys i haven't been on for a few days i have had the flu, still not great but felling better, i just checked my DC motor with the switch center off and their was no drag, does this mean it isn't generating any power in the center off position?

tsp&b

Silver Member
No, it is still generating DC current but with the switch in the off position it is not going anywhere. It is not back feeding into the power supply/speed control unit. It still has some resistance but no where near as much as when it is sending current back into the power supply circuit.

JimBob

Emerick's Custom Cues
Silver Member
So it is ok too hook it up as shown in Rich post? I still don't like the AC motor, i had to spin it too fast to get the job done, even with the air a lot of heat. I would like to find a DC motor, and controller about 2 to 2 1/2 hp reversible, veritable speed and probable a 1 or 1 1/2 may do the job. The Pennstate will almost do it. Although i need a different belt the one i an using if to flexible. Thanks for the posts.

Last edited:

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
So it is ok too hook it up as shown in Rich post? I still don't like the AC motor, i had to spin it too fast to get the job done, even with the air a lot of heat. I would like to find a DC motor, and controller about 2 to 2 1/2 hp reversible, veritable speed and probable a 1 or 1 1/2 may do the job. The Pennstate will almost do it. Although i need a different belt the one i an using if to flexible. Thanks for the posts.

Is the AC motor 1725RPM..............?? You adjust the speed by changing pulley size.

And yes the DC motor still generates with the switch off.... the switch controls the AC to the controller not the DC between the motor and the controller. Turn the motor by hand in reverse and you will feel the drag because it is generating and creating back EMF.

Kim

JimBob

Emerick's Custom Cues
Silver Member
Yes i know what you are saying Kim, but my DC motor has center off switch and i feel no drag in center off position. And my AC motor is the original with the step down pulley but i had to put it in the 3 larger pulley so i could complete the job the 1 and 2 didn't have enough power, starting from the small one up. although the motor might not be up to power, when i first got the machine (used) put it in reverse a couple times jerked the bolts out of the base that's why i replaced it with the unique reversible and it works great until you try to core, it has been on their for several years. I can core on my big lathe in the garage but i just don't like the one chuck holding my work, i thought i would like the two chuck support better. I have a rear chuck on the big lathe but it is 20 inches from the main chuck.

63Kcode

AKA Larry Vigus
Silver Member
I can core on my big lathe in the garage but i just don't like the one chuck holding my work, i thought i would like the two chuck support better. I have a rear chuck on the big lathe but it is 20 inches from the main chuck.

An internal center in your big lathe will act as a rear chuck. They are easy to make out of delrin.

Larry

tsp&b

Silver Member
Is the AC motor 1725RPM..............?? You adjust the speed by changing pulley size.

And yes the DC motor still generates with the switch off.... the switch controls the AC to the controller not the DC between the motor and the controller. Turn the motor by hand in reverse and you will feel the drag because it is generating and creating back EMF.

Kim

Kim, I think what he has is a fwd/rev switch (On-Off-On DPDT) which is on the DC output side of this power supply.