Keeping the Cue Ball Clean

ThinSlice

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello everyone,

I have a question regarding how to keep my home table cue ball from gathering so many cue strike points one the cue ball. I clean the cue ball thoroughly with Aramith Ball Cleaner and have even gone so far as to wash the ball with mild soap and water to remove the small amount of ball cleaner on the ball but, still gathers those chalk marks. My local pool hall doesn’t seem to have those issues. I can play 8 hours without the ball gatherimg nearly as many marks as mine. I also own a Diamond ball polisher and no matter how clean I get the balls the cue ball still gathers these marks at home.

Anyone else have this same issue?

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What cue ball are you using? This is probably the biggest factor.

What chalk are you using?

Also - NEVER use soap and water - stick with your Aramith Billiard Ball Cleaner (blue label bottle) and use a clean, dedicated microfiber cloth to buff the cue ball after the ball cleaner solution is wiped away with the microfiber cloth you applied it with.

In general, the best way to keep the cue ball clean is to buff it lightly whenever you have a cue ball scratch and always between opening break shots.

~ K.

Sealegs50

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have always be the same problem and have been similarly puzzled. Mostly, I use Aramiith red circles, which are the same ball used in the local pool hall. The pool hall owner was not helpful. I just want my home table to play like the tables in the pool hall.

Last edited:

ThinSlice

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What cue ball are you using? This is probably the biggest factor.

What chalk are you using?

Also - NEVER use soap and water - stick with your Aramith Billiard Ball Cleaner (blue label bottle) and use a clean, dedicated microfiber cloth to buff the cue ball after the ball cleaner solution is wiped away with the microfiber cloth you applied it with.

In general, the best way to keep the cue ball clean is to buff it lightly whenever you have a cue ball scratch and always between opening break shots.

~ K.

I have used several brands of chalk. All with basically the same results. Kamui, magic chalk, masters. All leave the same marks over a fairly short period of time. Also I do use the Arimith religiously along with a micro fiber cloth. Soap and water was more of an experiment than anything else. Cue ball as mentioned is a Brunswick Centennial Blue Circle.

ThinSlice

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have always be the same problem and have been similarly puzzled. Mostly, I use Aramiith red circles, which are the same ball used in the local pool hall. The pool hall owner was not helpful. I just want my home table to play like the tables in the pool hall.

Weird right? I don’t understand how my hall is able to keep those balls from gathering those marks like I do. Also puzzled. They have various cue balls in my hall. Red circle, blue circle and measle.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello everyone,

I have a question regarding how to keep my home table cue ball from gathering so many cue strike points one the cue ball. I clean the cue ball thoroughly with Aramith Ball Cleaner and have even gone so far as to wash the ball with mild soap and water to remove the small amount of ball cleaner on the ball but, still gathers those chalk marks. My local pool hall doesn’t seem to have those issues. I can play 8 hours without the ball gatherimg nearly as many marks as mine. I also own a Diamond ball polisher and no matter how clean I get the balls the cue ball still gathers these marks at home.

Anyone else have this same issue?

What kind of cue ball are you using and what kind of chalk are you using? Those two variables can play huge factors in how much chalk your cue ball holds. Aramith Red Circle is one of the best cue balls for not showing chalk marks and also much easier to rub off the chalk marks. Magic chalk or Taom pyro chalk is the best chalk to prevent chalk showing on your cue ball or on the cloth as well, as opposed to Master chalk. Brunswick blue circle cue balls that come with the Centennial balls are notoriously the worst (in my opinion) for retaining chalk marks. The Aramith Pro Cup Measle ball is another ball that retains chalk marks more than other cue balls. When playing with any cue ball in competition, I always try to take advantage of ball-in-hand or when having the break, to go ahead clean chalk marks off the cue ball the best I can, particularly miscue scratches on the surface of the cue ball.

Last edited:

ThinSlice

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What kind of cue ball are you using and what kind of chalk are you using? Those two variables can play huge factors in how much chalk your cue ball holds. Aramith Red Circle is one of the best cue balls for not showing chalk marks and also much easier to rub off the chalk marks. Magic chalk or Taom pyro chalk is the best chalk to prevent chalk showing on your cue ball or on the cloth as well, as opposed to Master chalk. Brunswick blue circle cue balls that come with the Centennial balls are notoriously the worst (in my opinion) for retaining chalk marks. The Aramith Pro Cup Measle ball is another ball that retains chalk marks more than other cue balls. When playing with any cue ball in competition, I always try to take advantage of ball-in-hand or when having the break, to go ahead clean chalk marks off the cue ball the best I can, particularly miscue scratches on the surface of the cue ball.

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the response. Brunswick Blue Circle sounds to be the culprit from the responses. Might have to try the Arimith red circle. In tournament or action matches I never have that issue at the halls. Just my home.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi Chris,

Thanks for the response. Brunswick Blue Circle sounds to be the culprit from the responses. Might have to try the Arimith red circle. In tournament or action matches I never have that issue at the halls. Just my home.

If you want to stick with the Blue Circle Centennial, which is a very good cue ball, order a piece or two of Taom Pyro chalk from Seyberts and I'm quite sure that will solve your problem. It is pricey, but one piece will last you hundreds of hours of table time. At the same time, you might also go ahead and order an Aramith Red Circle cue ball. Either one or both of these options I'm confident will alleviate this issue for you.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well I will offer a dissenting opinion: The blue circle CB original to the Brunswick Centennial set stays way cleaner than any of the Aramith branded CB's, to include the measles pro-cup. The only Aramith set I can't comment on is the Duramith formulation.

So IMO, if you have a blue circle centennial CB, and it gets very dirty, maybe it is worn with a bunch of micro scratches, that are holding the chalk. Any new set of balls stays cleaner much longer than the same set after its seen a significant amount of play, IMO.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Change to taom pyramid chalk and you will almost never see even the slightest of dust on anything.

It is the cleanest chalk I've ever used.

One thing though, if you use a hard tip it may not be for you. If you use a soct to med-soft tip you'll love it.

I have $200ish in all types of high-end chalk that just sits in my cabinet. Taom is extremely clean.

Jeff

SeaBrisket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Might have to try that. I think the red circle is slightly heavier?

I don't know if it's to do with the weight or finish or what. I really didn't like playing with the blue circle, found it played a little slow and could never keep it clean. I've always had better action with the red circle and no issues keeping it clean.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't know if it's to do with the weight or finish or what. I really didn't like playing with the blue circle, found it played a little slow and could never keep it clean. I've always had better action with the red circle and no issues keeping it clean.

It wont matter what ball he uses if he uses taom pyro chalk. Like someone on previous page said, it is extremely clean.

Just don't forget, it works best with softer tips.

Jeff

fiftyyardline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well I will offer a dissenting opinion: The blue circle CB original to the Brunswick Centennial set stays way cleaner than any of the Aramith branded CB's, to include the measles pro-cup. The only Aramith set I can't comment on is the Duramith formulation.

So IMO, if you have a blue circle centennial CB, and it gets very dirty, maybe it is worn with a bunch of micro scratches, that are holding the chalk. Any new set of balls stays cleaner much longer than the same set after its seen a significant amount of play, IMO.

Really?? This topic has been discussed many times before on this forum and you seem to be the only one with an opposing opinion. The Centennial blue circle cue ball is absolutely terrible in terms of picking up lots of chalk marks. I ended up throwing away two blue circle balls because they looked so bad and could not be cleaned to look decent. As stated many times, the Aramith red circle cue ball is much better for less chalk marks, and the Cyclops new large red dot cue ball is great for little to no chalk marks.
Also - using a little isopropyl alcohol on a paper towel is a quick, easy way to clean the cue ball.