Euro Team Selection Process- a weakness

RichSchultz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No one doubts what a phenomenal player former World #1, Alex Kazakis, is. He is tremendous. But...

it seems obvious so far (2018 and this year) that he is uncomfortable at this event.

Assuming that, it is very interesting that if he continues to qualify through great results during the year, it puts Europe in a pickle because they are obligated to select him.

Thoughts?

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No one doubts what a phenomenal player former World #1, Alex Kazakis, is. He is tremendous. But...

it seems obvious so far (2018 and this year) that he is uncomfortable at this event.

Assuming that, it is very interesting that if he continues to qualify through great results during the year, it puts Europe in a pickle because they are obligated to select him.

Thoughts?
He does get a tad wobbly when the serious heat piles on.

Andrew Manning

Aspiring know-it-all
Silver Member

Thoughts?

He's a great player, comfort at the event will develop over time. I'd say continuing to put him in there is the best move for Europe in the long run.

RichSchultz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He's a great player, comfort at the event will develop over time. I'd say continuing to put him in there is the best move for Europe in the long run.
But some don’t need time to develop (Filler, Shaw,etc.). Might they be hurting their team in the interim, while he gets comfortable?

Andrew Manning

Aspiring know-it-all
Silver Member
But some don’t need time to develop (Filler, Shaw,etc.). Might they be hurting their team in the interim, while he gets comfortable?

He won't get comfortable from the sidelines. The only way he'll ever bring his A game to this event is playing in this event.

Filler and Shaw never learned how to get nervous or out of stroke. They're missing some chromosome or something that serves that function in the rest of us.

RichSchultz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He won't get comfortable from the sidelines. The only way he'll ever bring his A game to this event is playing in this event.

Filler and Shaw never learned how to get nervous or out of stroke. They're missing some chromosome or something that serves that function in the rest of us.
Kaci seems to have adjusted this year.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
How many years did Shane struggle in the MC? A lot of people had given up on him. Now we're glad he's here.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Thoughts?

yes, i think it is a weakness (now). MC is not for everyone. kazakis thrives when he can contemplate and calmly select the optimal shot for each position. we all know how good he is then, and it's clear that this is not the case with the clock and the rowdy crowd.

some players on the other hand are cut out for this format, like filler and woodward.

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good point
With so much talent Europe has, the coach has luxury to pick players who can hit the ground running and turn it in on in their freshman or sophomore year.
Will not be surprised if Europe loses this year that Marcus will go to Matchroom and ask for same selection criteria as Johan. That is provided he is still Captain if he loses :grin:

LocalArtist

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think part of the problem is that pool is not really a coaching sport. Having the captain come out and give a pep talk after each rack could be counter productive to the player's (Alex) natural ability to make a comeback or even get focused.

I think it would break my focus if someone was coming out to me each time the USA #1 ran a rack on me. We all know there is nothing you can do if someone runs out on you or if you break dry, until you get another shot on the table. A pat on the back or words of wisdom/encouragement are not needed.

I think you could tell this with Alex's little head nods and winks when he was being coached inbetween racks.

DecentShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think part of the problem is that pool is not really a coaching sport. Having the captain come out and give a pep talk after each rack could be counter productive to the player's (Alex) natural ability to make a comeback or even get focused.

I think it would break my focus if someone was coming out to me each time the USA #1 ran a rack on me. We all know there is nothing you can do if someone runs out on you or if you break dry, until you get another shot on the table. A pat on the back or words of wisdom/encouragement are not needed.

I think you could tell this with Alex's little head nods and winks when he was being coached inbetween racks.

Right, I get that they want to have the "go get em' Rocky" boxing thing, but its not necessary if your not actually getting punched in the face.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
The system may be broken or not, but one approach to dealing with this issue is to somehow include Mosconi Cup performance in the rankings. Failure to do this brought us a 2018 Team Europe without 2017 Mosconi MVP Filler.

I suspect that previous year performance should be a factor in how the captain's picks are made, but I'm not sure it's fair to exclude anyone who qualifies automatically on competitive merit, as Kazakis has. He will likely overcome the Mosconi jitters at some point, but you never know.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The system may be broken or not, but one approach to dealing with this issue is to somehow include Mosconi Cup performance in the rankings. Failure to do this brought us a 2018 Team Europe without 2017 Mosconi MVP Filler.

I suspect that previous year performance should be a factor in how the captain's picks are made, but I'm not sure it's fair to exclude anyone who qualifies automatically on competitive merit, as Kazakis has. He will likely overcome the Mosconi jitters at some point, but you never know.

being top three in europe usually coincides with being a solid performer in the mosconi cup. it's an unlucky circumstance that we now have two players who are very deliberate in the top. on the other hand it's a fair system that provides an incentive for winning otherwise not so profitable eurotour events..

i think your suggestion is a good one.

lacorteza

Registered
Well I think that in Basic every of this 10 man played in mosconi cup are really similar in terms of skill.
The difference makes that Mosconi Cup is special in some Points.
1. Big crowd yelling and shouting - it´s never quiet as in other Events they normally play in.
2. Pressure to play in a Team and be partly responsible About lose or win of everybody in your Team
3. Doubles Play - most professionals are not used to. (can be trained of Course)

So in my opinion some can handle all this better than others.. which does makes them better Players, but better Players for this Event for sure.

Look at Thorpe, Shaw, Filler, Woodward.. I think they like the crowd.. it brings out the best out of them.

Never mind.. anybody playing in the MC can be proud of himself. I will not Judge anybody.

jeephawk

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The ranking event schedule and points can be found at Matchroom.

Can always do something different, but I'm assuming that part of coming up with the events and points system is also trying to encourage players to participate in certain events. You enter/do well - you deserve to be on the team.

Easy to second guess after the fact, for the sake of second guessing - I guess, lol.

Captain's picks always up for debate - I can see having someone with an incredible Mosconi Cup record on the team for experience/whatever - didn't pay off this go around for sure for Europe.

If there is a way for them to have a better team, haha, please don't tell them. Two wins in a row, by the slimmest of margins, wouldn't suggest we are beating them like a drum.

Happy with the W!

RichSchultz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The ranking event schedule and points can be found at Matchroom.

Can always do something different, but I'm assuming that part of coming up with the events and points system is also trying to encourage players to participate in certain events. You enter/do well - you deserve to be on the team.

Easy to second guess after the fact, for the sake of second guessing - I guess, lol.

Captain's picks always up for debate - I can see having someone with an incredible Mosconi Cup record on the team for experience/whatever - didn't pay off this go around for sure for Europe.

If there is a way for them to have a better team, haha, please don't tell them. Two wins in a row, by the slimmest of margins, wouldn't suggest we are beating them like a drum.

Happy with the W!
Agreed; note when I started the thread...well before we won. Just was noticing Alex’ struggles.

jeephawk

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Agreed; note when I started the thread...well before we won. Just was noticing Alex’ struggles.

Yep, and agree.

You folks that know pool "more" probably have the best insights, I'm just thinking purely from an American perspective "it ain't broke" for us at this point, lol.