Tall tales and fish stories.

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
We played a team the other night who had a spare with them. I was sitting 2 tables away and overheard him telling them about the new tip he had put on his cue. I heard him say something about $250. While I was playing one of their players, I happened to ask him in between shots what (we'll call him G) was telling them. He said that G told them that the tip he had put on his cue cost him $250. I mentioned to my opponent that you can buy 25 Mooris for less than that. We had a good chuckle.
Close to a year ago G had mentioned to me that he buys a new cue every season and he was looking. I told him that I had 2 Hueblers for sale. He said that he already had a Huebler. I asked him if I could see it. He gave it to me and instantly I knew it wasn't a Huebler. I looked at the butt sleeve and in faded letters, I could make out the name "Players".
So either I'm out of the loop or I missed the episode of LifeStyles of the Rich and Famous where the well to do have $250 tips put on the their cues.Well, I've heard some good woofin and tall tales about shots made but I've never heard of a cue tip worth that much.
Apparently I'm not charging enuff for my retips.

Last edited:

gwjackal

Paradigm Cue Sports
Silver Member
Terry, I am coming up there we will split business at the end of the day. 250 a tip huh?

Tell him I have a cue that shoots by itself and will cook him dinner and wash his back in the shower for milli......

TheBook

Ret Professional Goof Off
Silver Member
A few years ago someone asked me who replaces the tips on my cue and I honestly said that I usually buy a new cue before the tip gets to where it has to be replaced. Therefore my new tip cost me $1800. :shrug:

:rotflmao1:

Tommy-D

World's best B player...
Silver Member
> I LOVE hearing from the local guy that "used to be a pro out in Vegas" that is now a pretty squishy APA 4 or so skillwise.

Even that may be generous,considering I've played maybe 100 racks with him over the several years I've known him,and seen him break and run like twice. In addition to bad shotmaking skills and insane,impossible imagination when it comes to pattern play,when faced with a wide open runout he almost always trips just before the finish line.

He asked me about a week ago in front of his girlfriend what kind of a spot I thought I could give him playing 9 ball.

I told him in all seriousness that anything less than 8 games on the wire going to 13 on a bar table would be like stealing from him :thumbup:.

He TRIED to get fired up on me,telling me "I used to play for a living!".

I asked him "what was it,a 3 day weekend?" His girlfriend shot beer out of her nose.

"Well I know some guys that play for 10,000 a BALL."

I told him fine,I kinda sorta know a guy that has run 400 ;). Tommy D.

danquixote

DanQuixote
Silver Member
We have one guy here that swears he used to be the world champion! He is a 5 in the APA! When confronted with a BCA rule book that shows all past champions, he comes up with some cockamanie excuse of how he didn't want his name in there so he could still hustle.

Damn Neil......where does this guy play? I'd love to be able to put "World Champion Beater" on my pool resume.......Dan:thumbup:

pocketpared

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not to hijack this thread but...

Not to hijack this thread but I was fishing the Baltimore Canyon Trough with a friend in his 24 footer. I hooked a monster with heavyweight tuna gear and fought it for over an hour. No matter how hard I cranked with almost a full drag and 120# test I just couldn't turn it. It literally dragged us miles out to sea and we eventually were left with no choice but to tie the line off to a cleat and try to slow it with the boat. This proved fruitless and it eventually snapped the line. The next day I read that our Navy had sighted a Russian submarine in the Baltimore Canyon.

ironman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We played a team the other night who had a spare with them. I was sitting 2 tables away and overheard him telling them about the new tip he had put on his cue. I heard him say something about $250. While I was playing one of their players, I happened to ask him in between shots what (we'll call him G) was telling them. He said that G told them that the tip he had put on his cue cost him $250. I mentioned to my opponent that you can buy 25 Mooris for less than that. We had a good chuckle.
Close to a year ago G had mentioned to me that he buys a new cue every season and he was looking. I told him that I had 2 Hueblers for sale. He said that he already had a Huebler. I asked him if I could see it. He gave it to me and instantly I knew it wasn't a Huebler. I looked at the butt sleeve and in faded letters, I could make out the name "Players".
So either I'm out of the loop or I missed the episode of LifeStyles of the Rich and Famous where the well to do have $250 tips put on the their cues.Well, I've heard some good woofin and tall tales about shots made but I've never heard of a cue tip worth that much.
Apparently I'm not charging enuff for my retips.

It had to be 20 years ago but I had a good friend we will call Bob! Bob played ok at best but had more conversation and BS than anyone I had ever met. he could get people out of the chair and to the table whoo had never gambled much in their lives. he was entertaining and we had made some pretty good money together.

Bob had left for Santa Fe Nm and was due back on Sunday. I got a call later on Sunday from a friend asking me if I knew BOb. I assured him I did and he began to inform me that he had just beaten Bob in Castle Rock just South of Denver.

he furtherly explained that Bob had told mhim he had just returned from Shreveport where he beat Buddy Hall of $30,000. Bob affered too play the caller {Gary} 8 ball jacked up vs, Gary's 2 hands. They played for $200 per game. Gary said he won 5 straight games and asked if the guy was nuts and I replied,,"on accasions, yes"!

The next day after his return home Bob calls me not knowing I already know the story.He doesn't mention his loss, but asks," have you been playing"? I say yes I'm ready to go what do you have in mind? he informs he thinks we should get out of town for a few days. I re;y ,"hey sounds great , in fact let's go to Castle Rock, my friend Fary called and said he beat some complete idiot out of a 1000 yesterday and he should be good for at least a few hundred before we get very far. Bob asks, what speed does he play? i reply, he could give you the 8!!

The next day a guy I had been working for quite a while came in and we ended up plyaing for 41 hours and I beat the guy out of $19000. Bob was in with me and a very happy guy! Ihad biven the guy the 7 and it was tough, but I gues I just wore him out!

When done Bob says, if the guy returns he is going to try the guy! I say, "I know exactly how you can trap him too!"

Bob look all inquisitive and says," How's that?"

I say, "it's easy, just offer to play jacked up"!

Bob turned beet red and walked away muttering ," you lousy no good C---k Sucker!!"

BOb was as full of crap as they come, but he was entertaining and the greatest backupp man I ever knew!

boggs41076

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had a guy tell me and another az member that he played in a tournament in Indianapolis a couple years ago and Mosconi beat him out. :confused:

JustinHayes

I'll need an Orange Crush
Silver Member
My girlfriend's friend has this boyfriend that comes into the bar quite often but rarely plays. After watching my league night one night he's drunk.

I'm talking to him outside of ear-shot of the girls and he tells me that he plays everyone 100- racks and keeps a spreadsheet of stats for every one of those racks. He says after those 100 racks he will know exactly how a guy plays and when to bet on or against him.

Now, I've only played this guy maybe 5-racks total ever. !!!

He then says that he almost has me figured out. I then ask him how many racks he and I have played (knowing that it was 5 max)..... he says "67"

I say BULLS$#T ... we've played 5 racks max. .... His drunk ass looks confused then says ... uhhhh well, I count if I sweated you during your match with someone else. He then says that he keeps those stats on his spreadsheet too.

LOL Whatever!

mikeyfrost

Socially Aware
Silver Member
> I LOVE hearing from the local guy that "used to be a pro out in Vegas" that is now a pretty squishy APA 4 or so skillwise.

Even that may be generous,considering I've played maybe 100 racks with him over the several years I've known him,and seen him break and run like twice. In addition to bad shotmaking skills and insane,impossible imagination when it comes to pattern play,when faced with a wide open runout he almost always trips just before the finish line.

He asked me about a week ago in front of his girlfriend what kind of a spot I thought I could give him playing 9 ball.

I told him in all seriousness that anything less than 8 games on the wire going to 13 on a bar table would be like stealing from him :thumbup:.

He TRIED to get fired up on me,telling me "I used to play for a living!".

I asked him "what was it,a 3 day weekend?" His girlfriend shot beer out of her nose.

"Well I know some guys that play for 10,000 a BALL."

I told him fine,I kinda sorta know a guy that has run 400 ;). Tommy D.

I still don't know what it means when people play by the ball. I must need 9 games on the wire.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
And still champion

About 25 years ago i won a tournament.With the 1rst place cash
came a trophy.With 4th place came cash and a cue.
In the parking lot we traded the trophy for the cue.
I'd rather have a cue anyday,you can't make a ball
with a trophy.
To this day his wife still admires and dusts the trophy.

tom mcgonagle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If these people could only use their imaginations in a more positive fashion. Like playing the game instead of talking about the game they would be a lot better off.

We some some great story tellers up here in the New England area.

ironman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If these people could only use their imaginations in a more positive fashion. Like playing the game instead of talking about the game they would be a lot better off.

We some some great story tellers up here in the New England area.

hey, the best to ya, we take great pride in our BS here in the south too!