Mosconi Cup

gehawe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jay Helfert is right - the Phillipines might be good to hone your skills.

Lots of different players, lots of different conditions. And hey - how can a few drunk English people shark you, when you are used to play for money, while chicken are running between your feet and the crowd is literally sneaking in on you during the shots, like in the Phillipines. And placing bets and screaming, while you are down on a shot. ...

Although I am a bit biased (Germany) during the MC, I like your game. And pool wouldn't be as big in the world without the USA. keep it up guys!

Gerhard

Well said JB! These guys have no idea how good MD plays. I hate all the MD bashing - this guy can get down with anybody and all these idiots book him at regional winner.......they have no idea
Jason

Maybe his terrible fundamentals hold up regionally, but they fall to peaces internationally, when the pressure is really on.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe his terrible fundamentals hold up regionally, but they fall to peaces internationally, when the pressure is really on.

His BIGGEST flaw by far is that it's almost impossible for him to stay down on the shot. He seems to jump up every single time.

Bella Don't Cry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm going to say one more thing hopefully make some people open their eyes. I played 3 matches. One singles where Mark Grey basically played a perfect set so he deserved to win. 5-1 I lose. Skyler and me win and Rodney and I won. So me personally, I won 2/3 matches. If anyone thinks someone is so far inferior be use you lost a race to 5 and basically didn't have a chance then I'm not sure what to say. Not bashing Europe either, they definitely played better and deserved the win. So most guys played two singles, and 1 double or 2 of each. I've lost and beaten Orcollo, SVB, etc 11-0 actually many times.

Crazy to read some of the things I've read on here I don't think is fair. Obviously Europe last 7 years have dominated. But don't think Dechaine, Skyker, and I can't go win a World title. I'm not saying this to be cocky or prove anything but I would play Albin, or Mark Gray, even 10 ball they outbreak me 9 on spot but 10 ball I've played more and still probably don't break as well. I think Darren is their best player, him and Neils. I've already played Jayson but I think he's a little better player now he's won everything. But also Skylers been to Qatar once, I've never been. We don't play those tournaments, so obsiouvly when you play 25 big events a year I hope you have some titles.

One thing I do agree with though is bar table kills us not just the points but everywhere in US most events are 7ft. Just take this year or next... I go back home, play Chohans tournament, Music City, then Derby(race to 3 banks and 1pocket), then there will be 6-7 more 7ft tournaments, then Turningstone LOL.. And they have tough fields... I could win 5 in a row and it wouldn't be as good as someone getting 5-6th in the China Open in most people's eyes🙄🙄
I'm also looking to start traveling and playing the bigger events. I'm going to go to Philippines for a month and after that plan on playing a lot international big tournaments.

GOOD FOR YOU JUSTIN..!
The international road is a harder path, but where there is pain there is gain!
:thumbup:

Big-Tattoo

I'm back
Silver Member
I want to say Albin may not have the same skills for some shots (lol) as JB or others BUT he knows to Play super B saftey and he has the skills to came out from a safe to a RESAFE ,mostley . Which Team USA can't when it comes to a brutal saftey battle on a 9 feet table.

Just my 2 cents:wink:

Ralf

pmac666

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I want to say Albin may not have the same skills for some shots (lol)

yeah maybe hes a bit weak with straight in shots like that 8 or 9 he missed......oh well, aslong as he makes this hangers like that 4 in his hill hill doubles with daz! :p as said, albin 9 - USA 10 last 2 years (with a lesser skillset haha)

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
I'm going to say one more thing hopefully make some people open their eyes. I played 3 matches. One singles where Mark Grey basically played a perfect set so he deserved to win. 5-1 I lose. Skyler and me win and Rodney and I won. So me personally, I won 2/3 matches. If anyone thinks someone is so far inferior be use you lost a race to 5 and basically didn't have a chance then I'm not sure what to say. Not bashing Europe either, they definitely played better and deserved the win. So most guys played two singles, and 1 double or 2 of each. I've lost and beaten Orcollo, SVB, etc 11-0 actually many times.

Crazy to read some of the things I've read on here I don't think is fair. Obviously Europe last 7 years have dominated. But don't think Dechaine, Skyker, and I can't go win a World title. I'm not saying this to be cocky or prove anything but I would play Albin, or Mark Gray, even 10 ball they outbreak me 9 on spot but 10 ball I've played more and still probably don't break as well. I think Darren is their best player, him and Neils. I've already played Jayson but I think he's a little better player now he's won everything. But also Skylers been to Qatar once, I've never been. We don't play those tournaments, so obsiouvly when you play 25 big events a year I hope you have some titles.

One thing I do agree with though is bar table kills us not just the points but everywhere in US most events are 7ft. Just take this year or next... I go back home, play Chohans tournament, Music City, then Derby(race to 3 banks and 1pocket), then there will be 6-7 more 7ft tournaments, then Turningstone LOL.. And they have tough fields... I could win 5 in a row and it wouldn't be as good as someone getting 5-6th in the China Open in most people's eyes����
I'm also looking to start traveling and playing the bigger events. I'm going to go to Philippines for a month and after that plan on playing a lot international big tournaments.

Your going for a walk. Your ready. Have FUN.

When I ran the Magoo's Jr. Nat. events with John Lewis, the years McMinn won it back to back. I watched you and saw a mini Efren ''style'' the way your were able to work the outside of the cue ball....I think you were 14.

Advice:

Do your road work always the first day before play, hot tub that evening....get your rest. Watch movies/detach during WPA Events/match type events.

Advantage:

Your ace in the hole is this. A comparative....Growing up as a young snooker lad, you learn traits that become embedded in your game. You grew up around rotation pool as I did, and you even experienced the roll out/ 2 shot foul days of pool, therefore you have a core advantage at looking for the short run/NOT out, lock down safety position that parks whitey & wins matches. Having this 3rd element within your core of play, is a huge advantage, more powerful than any great shot. You get BIH :). Have fun out there. WPA type events.... Always settle in first.

Last edited:

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
During the year, the U.S.A. Mosconi Cup players may need to train playing short matches in different locales around the country, with 20-50 boisterous, unsympathetic, drunken howlers.

Getting used to distractions, especially like the ones at the Mosconi Cup is a NECESSITY, because they aren't going away.

A professional sports psychologist is still highly recommended to deal with distractions and other parts of the mental game. The players should pay for his services out of their own pocket because they have to have skin in the game. A free ride insures little perceived value for the student.

Hopefully, all of the players who want to be on the USA Mosconi Cup Team will see the value in increasing their skills in different and needed areas as you have.

Best to you and the rest of the USA Mosconi Cup players.
JoeyA

About Dechaine- I think he has to play on Mosconi for U.S. He is definitely top 5 Anerican players no question. Only bad set he played was last set against Jayson and Shaw didn't even play good until the last day and Shaw basically played perfect on him. Up 10-3 and your crowd is cheering him on like crazy and crowd is really really picking on Mike bad. You can watch YouTube matches of 2016 and you can hear some noise but it sounds like nothing I mean nothing compared to being there live. There is about 20-50 people every shot yelling insults and people laughing and you cannot hear that on YouTube! So I've played money matches in other people's homes, hometown, for $30,000 and more and that's not even 1 percent of Mosconi pressure.

barrymuch90

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ldt me start by saying Justin is my favorite player in the world to watch play especially the tournaments with international fields(watching him in the open was awesome even though he lost to Alcaide,who played incredibly, Justin played just as great)

But I don't understand why u don't like breaking 9 ball with the 9 on the spot it totally takes the big break out of the equation and is a way more controlled "shot" instead of a big break. To me if I were ur coach I'd have u master that because power isn't required and ur perfectly capable of producing results with the 9 on the spot and it could help u win a title faster considering this seems to be the new format. Just saying I've heard u and others say ur break is ur only disadvantage but to me the 9 on the spot forces a cut break and even Mike d who can break like 36 mph is breaking like 20 mph playing the 1 in the side so I'd figure u would like that format to bridge the gap

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I enjoyed Justin and Rodney both this year. Sky's enthusiasm on the rail was also fun to watch.

Thanks for being there to all Team USA members. :cool:

MitchDAZB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The good players over there prefer Ten Ball. DO NOT play Rotation with them though. You will get schooled if you do. :thumbup:
But Jay, isn't that the reason to travel that far and play them, to get schooled?

I don't understand this fear of playing 61 with the Pinoys. Isn't that the game that teaches one how to kick safe? Aside from Corey, have any Americans played much 61 with the Pinoys?

Anyway, props to Mr. Bergman for fine play in a pressure-packed event! Well done!

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
And props to Mr. Bergman for daring to even communicate on AzBilliards Discussion Forum. Thanks for sharing! :)

Lol, yah, Justin has stones....This forum can be tough on anyone. Glad to see him posting. Wish the rest of the MC players would do the same.

JoeyA

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lol, yah, Justin has stones....This forum can be tough on anyone. Glad to see him posting. Wish the rest of the MC players would do the same.

JoeyA

I think for their own sake, it's best that they don't. Their energies are better spent shooting pool, practicing, competing, and sharing their thoughts on Facebook when time allows. :cool:

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
Nobody has commented yet, but I think that Justin's standard methodical style of play is perfect for the MC format.

I mentioned in a different thread that Shane's style of play is probably not suited as well for this format, since he seems to need to get really warmed up to be able to shoot every shot accurately with his long stroke.

Where some have critized Justin for playing too slowly in some past matches, I think that his style of play, where he is always taking extra time before shooting and doing the "air strokes", helps him to be able to keep shooting accurately without being in a long race and without needing to get warmed up as much.

Playing one pocket I think would also help, as many times you need to play safety after safety, then all of a sudden you need to come with a great stroke shot without any warm up.

I would be interested to hear if Justin has any comment on this theory...

vjmehra

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks Justin for coming here many believe as do I your a very talented player Sky also I'd add Billy Thorp is right on your heels ,
It's short races yes and that leads to less errors wins , that being lag ,breaking, safety play and missed shots ,all together we simply are behind ,,

Fargo rate has you many spots ahead of Albin and I truley believe your skill set is higher than his however that guy for some reason or another shines like a pearl in high pressure situations his mental toughness and ability to play above his head is really pretty impressive,,
I'm pretty sure you agree , and might wonder how he does it , I've wondered such at my level a many of time how a player who was less talented keeps finishing higher than me in bigger events ,, it's certainly not luck ,
It's mind set ability no more no less he can play his game or even better under the most extreme circumstances , many of our players for lack of better term shoot thier load early or simply can't get it up when the rubber meets the road
They simply do that better in both cases for yrs now ,

I believe you and the young guns will right the ship sooner or later I look forward to seeing it happen

Pro sport is all about the mental game, there are thousands of players that can play amazing shots in practice, there are hundreds that can do that in smaller tournaments, however there are very few that can do it for big money and/or in front of the cameras and a live audience (not that I'm speculating who is the more talented or mentally tougher, staying neutral on that one)!

At the top level in any sport, mental toughness overcomes talent (well to a degree of course, assuming at least a high level of competence).

That said, form and attitude can change over time!

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
I think for their own sake, it's best that they don't. Their energies are better spent shooting pool, practicing, competing, and sharing their thoughts on Facebook when time allows. :cool:

I disagree, it's important to hear all sides of the fence. In this manner your better informed, your thoughts and decisions have more basis. Going on the road is good, he's laid the groundwork and is ready to ''break out'' at this time in his life. He's well aware of the up and down sides.

There's more to reaching your full potentional, than just you and your trainer/backer/competition. Experience comes, by realizing there are many crops to be harvested in life to fill ones emotional plate. Ya can't eat Spinach every day.

How many other pros have talked too us here on this forum in this manner?????????????? Thx, kid it's appreciated.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I disagree, it's important to hear all sides of the fence. In this manner your better informed, your thoughts and decisions have more basis. Going on the road is good, he's laid the groundwork and is ready to ''break out'' at this time in his life. He's well aware of the up and down sides.

There's more to reaching your full potentional, than just you and your trainer/backer/competition. Experience comes, by realizing there are many crops to be harvested in life to fill ones emotional plate. Ya can't eat Spinach every day.

How many other pros have talked too us here on this forum in this manner?????????????? Thx, kid it's appreciated.

Those that do get raked through the coals -- EVERY SINGLE TIME!

SCCues

< Searing Twins
Silver Member
MC Opinion

Justin, I think you played great and did your part to win. I'd love to see the Mosconi Cup switch to 10 ball with tighter pockets, but I doubt that will ever happen.