Earl Strickland Crazy Interview

LeonD123

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6-yZf0LZHc

Earl Strickland's interview after match with Darren Appleton on World Pool Masters 2018

5.jpg

Pacecar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
During his matches, he kept calling "time-out", when requesting a time extension. The refs finally quit telling him that he needed to say the word "extension".
And I noticed that Earl having to pause and request an "extension" really messed up his rhythm. He usually made a poor shot (either poor safety, kick, or a miss), and sold out the game.

Jerry R

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was a bit surprised he didn't complain about the rack. Maybe he just wasn't breaking well and knew it, but it seemed like he got a few racks that were not tight in that match. I didn't think a lot about it until Karl Boyes mentioned that the female ref was struggling with racking and that Nigel was doing an excellent job during the finals.

Pangit

Banned
He's very fortunate Earl missed the 5 ball, says Earl. :wink:

Look at his eyes, he's either on something or not taking something he should be.
:scratchhead:

boogeyman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
During his matches, he kept calling "time-out", when requesting a time extension. The refs finally quit telling him that he needed to say the word "extension".
And I noticed that Earl having to pause and request an "extension" really messed up his rhythm. He usually made a poor shot (either poor safety, kick, or a miss), and sold out the game.

I hear ya Pacecare.

Earl has been playing pool practically all his life. He knows darn well the word is "extension" and not "timeout."
The man knows something about sport, and so his method of using the incorrect word is nothing more than upsetting the system as only Earl likes to do.

Earl always needs an excuse to explain away his mistakes, shortcomings, losses, and "bad days."
It appears at the surface that he sabotages the situation to make himself the victim.

One good example: remember when Earl called the 2-ball against Jayson Shaw and it was VERY obvious that it was the 10-ball he was shooting?
Earl is so passive-aggressive it's mind-blowing. In the same breadth, he claims his opponents are so "fortunate and lucky" to have beaten him, and then offers these little injections that his opponents are "good players (but not great)."
Why not just simply say an opponent "played well" and leave it at?

What a poor example of sportsmanship.
The female interviewer was quite "charmed" with Earl's complaining.
You can see how he used this as an invitation to just keep going with his slights, nonsense, and overall complaining.

Earl is a fool, and that's being very polite.

I sure as hell can't wait until he retires.

Last edited:

sonny burnett

Registered
If anyone has ever had a bipolar relative you would know just by the look in his eyes. Horrible disease 10 minutes later he could become calm.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
If anyone has ever had a bipolar relative you would know just by the look in his eyes. Horrible disease 10 minutes later he could become calm.

Yep. Earl still is one of the greatest of all time. Nobody brought it like him. Sheer firepower. And for all the fans that love him, the other fans love to hate him. And that adds up to lots of fannies in the seats. And to play with whatever undiagnosed condition he suffers through, that's rough. Too bad he never bought a health insurance policy to get some help. But, at 56 he's still hanging with the big boys. Not bad, not bad at all.

And Darren was not upset in the least from the interview. It's akin to having your crazy uncle say something he has said 1,000 times before. You don't take the whining serious, at some point you just realize Earl is just being Earl. If this is the worst of our little crazy sport, I'll take it. No murders, no rapes, no armed robberies, no drowning dogs, no child abuse, no drug dealers (anymore, lol)

Last edited:

Buckzapper

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No matter what Earl says, you cannot claim that his opinion is unjust, due to lack of experience.

This interview is just another opportunity for the Earl-Bashers, that have been around since the 80s.

Pacecar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
But Earl does visit the doctor. He had to present doctor's excuses for why he needed to have taped-up fingers (to prevent blisters from playing too much pool), and special elevator boots.

JTheJazzMan

You are absolutely correct. Too bad the idiots bashing him on this forum don’t understand that or give a shit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JTheJazzMan

No matter what Earl says, you cannot claim that his opinion is unjust, due to lack of experience.

This interview is just another opportunity for the Earl-Bashers, that have been around since the 80s.

Agreed. The idiots that bash him on this forum could only DREAM of playing as good as him. I know Earl personally, and he’s a great guy. Too bad the idiots here have to bash him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M.G.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Earl has been playing pool practically all his life. He knows darn well the word is "extension" and not "timeout."
Earl is a fool, and that's being very polite.

I sure as hell can't wait until he retires.

Unfortunately I feel the same way. I'm rather upset that they still let him play at tournaments, let alone interview him.
We might also see onsetting dementia, mostly of the temporal lobe kind.
The interview is beyond crazy and foolish - he's rambling along, showing not consistency (except: others were lucky).

Agreed. The idiots that bash him on this forum could only DREAM of playing as good as him. I know Earl personally, and he’s a great guy. Too bad the idiots here have to bash him.

I don't think that's the issue - it's not his skill. Or his behaviour in a relaxed setting where he can feel superior or teach others his ways.
It's his behaviour in professional tournaments. Behaviour is something you have under control and you can change. It's also his clothes, the sideways facing shirt on top... everything about him. He looks completely out of place!
Having great skill does not compensate for bad behaviour, nor does it validate or excuse it.

It's not about the stuff you feel inside and you should also not show this always to the outside.

Strickland should just get himself under control. Everything is an insult to him, as a person and to his soul. This is so far away from a healthy perspective to life and his own achievements it's not funny, it's beyond dangerous. He has not been developing himself as a human being, he's a full on success craving, ego-stroking, Dopamine addict.

I'd say don't let him play anymore, or ban his antics and his gear-crap.
He's ruining everything about a tournament.

This is why I almost watch no pool anymore - Snooker is more relaxed, professional and courteous, it's soul-soothing. It's about proper behaviour and skill. And I think getting a retry almost the best thing in Snooker.

Cheers,
M

Last edited:

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
I'd say don't let him play anymore, or ban his antics and his gear-crap.
He's ruining everything about a tournament.

This is why I almost watch no pool anymore - Snooker is more relaxed, professional and courteous, it's soul-soothing. It's about proper behaviour and skill. And I think getting a retry almost the best thing in Snooker.

Cheers,
M

How did Earl ruin this tournament. It went off fine. Oh, he whined afterwards for 30 seconds. WOW. Big deal. I wish the folks I worked with only whined for 30 seconds a day ;) Just like soccer (football) riots have not hurt the main sport in Europe. So far the death count from Earl is a still sparkling ZERO :)

Last edited:

sonny burnett

Registered
If you are bipolar you cannot control you're behavior. You figure out how you will become a very rich man. You might want to read up on it.

Nick B

This is gonna hurt
Silver Member
Winston Churchill said it best. He's a riddle wrapped up in a enigma. He's so driven to win and was the best at something in the world for 10 years. If he was a golfer he'd own an island. Unfortunately he played pool and now has enough money for a slice of pizza. This bothers him to the core of his being.

Reactions: KRJ

Poolhall60561

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I heard about this crazy interviews from others and am glad I got to see it for myself. Thing is, I don’t think it was all that crazy. Earl was asked his opinion and he gave it. What did everyone expect, he just lost a match they he felt he should of won.

gregoryda

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I thought it was a great match, they both missed shots. Earl just had too many, and Darrel took advantage and the double rail kick shot was the turning point. Both players played well! Earl is Earl, interesting interview.