Muscle Memory and the Mental Game

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-muscle-memory.htm

I was reading this and other articals on muscle memory. After reading many articals on the subject I think if someone can get all negative thoughts out of their mind when shooting their shots, that person would be a vertual machine.

It has always amazed me that we can hit a shot 1000's of times and still manage to miss it in a real game. I had thought the answer was in that little guy in my head that said, just before the shot, "you could miss this". Now I'm certain of it. I have a hunch the players that have hit balls for years can benifit bigtime working on their mental game along with practicing. What I get out of all I've read is that once your muscle memory knows a shot and you can keep the demons (little voice in your head telling you you could miss) out of your mind, it's almost impossible to miss the shot. Johnnyt

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member
http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-muscle-memory.htm

I was reading this and other articals on muscle memory. After reading many articals on the subject I think if someone can get all negative thoughts out of their mind when shooting their shots, that person would be a vertual machine.

It has always amazed me that we can hit a shot 1000's of times and still manage to miss it in a real game. I had thought the answer was in that little guy in my head that said, just before the shot, "you could miss this". Now I'm certain of it. I have a hunch the players that have hit balls for years can benifit bigtime working on their mental game along with practicing. What I get out of all I've read is that once your muscle memory knows a shot and you can keep the demons (little voice in your head telling you you could miss) out of your mind, it's almost impossible to miss the shot. Johnnyt

Good post Johnny. It's amazing how well you play when you turn your brain off and just play the game you know how to play. I've recently started humming and singing songs in my head while I play. It actually helps take my mind off the option of missing.

swrooster

A HOTDOG ROAD PLAYER!!
Silver Member
Hillilbilly Hamsters

Good post Johnny. It's amazing how well you play when you turn your brain off and just play the game you know how to play. I've recently started humming and singing songs in my head while I play. It actually helps take my mind off the option of missing.

The Hillbilly Hamster theme song should be a brain paralyzer:D....

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
For a lot of reasons I feel that the negative thoughts are a BIG reason most shots are missed by good players that make that same shot 9 out of 10 times or more. I know I miss key shots that I wouldn’t give a thought of missing years ago. I’ve noticed when I’m playing the ghost, playing some cheap sets, or just trying to beat the hell out of my friends that most shots I miss are because negative thoughts creep in while I’m stroking pre-shot. Most of us when we were young had a lot of confidence and never even thought of missing anything we shot at to the tune of cockiness. As you mature most care a little more about their money and/or take the game way to serious and put unneeded pressure on ourselves.

I’m going to practice one shot that I miss a lot when it counts (down the rail shot, both on and a little away from the rail). When I feel I can’t make the any better % I’m going to get back up if a negative thought comes into my head, take a few deep breaths and try again. I am almost certain this is my problem with them. I shoot way too fast also. So I’ll slow it down some too. Johnnyt

boggs41076

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is a great thread Johnnyt, I have noticed that most of the shots i miss are shots i would make 9 out of ten times just jacking around shooting but seem to dog them when i need to make them. I can drill a tough shot that i shouldn't make because i think "hell i can make this it aint that tough" then when i make it get a great angle on the next ball I think "this ain't easy as it looks, I could easily miss this" and doubt sets in. I usually step back think to much get back on it and choke. If i could just figure out how to not over think easy shots i beleive it would improve my game tremendously.