How much do most cue repair shops charge to straighten out a joint pin?

Does anyone know how much do most cue repair shops would charge (on average) to straighten out a joint pin (if it is a little warped)?

Thanks.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
probably bent
Warping a metal pin like that takes extreme heat, the kind of heat that would destroy the surrounding area of wood in the cue

Didn't you already ask about this on facebook

probably bent
Warping a metal pin like that takes extreme heat, the kind of heat that would destroy the surrounding area of wood in the cue

Thanks. No, I just decided to buy this joss today. The seller says that the butt and shaft rolls straight when rolled apart, but there is a roll out in the tip of the shaft when rolled together. He also told me that there is a roll out in the joint area, but not the butt. Seems confusing to me, but he thinks that it is an issue with the joint pin. Anyways, it is a really cheap price at just $110 for a 4 point joss, and I really just want something decent to shoot with. The shaft is very thin at atound 11mm, so not sure if that would cause the roll out when rolled together. Thanks for any thoughts.

Shawn Armstrong

AZB deceased - stopped posting 5/13/2022
Silver Member
Thanks. No, I just decided to buy this joss today. The seller says that the butt and shaft rolls straight when rolled apart, but there is a roll out in the tip of the shaft when rolled together. He also told me that there is a roll out in the joint area, but not the butt. Seems confusing to me, but he thinks that it is an issue with the joint pin. Anyways, it is a really cheap price at just $110 for a 4 point joss, and I really just want something decent to shoot with. The shaft is very thin at atound 11mm, so not sure if that would cause the roll out when rolled together. Thanks for any thoughts.

Lol. The problem isn't what you think it is....

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It will probably need to be replaced not straightened. For about $100 for a Joss you can get the work done and still be in normal price for one. Mike Webb charged me $70 to fix an insert on a shaft and clean up my old Joss so it was like new, figured replacing the joint would be close to that.

When I needed a pin replaced on my son's cue with a horn joint, the cuemaker did it for free (I visited him a few times before though), I made him take a $20 though LOL

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

It probably just needs re-facing at the joint....which is a couple minutes on the lathe.

probably bent

What is the difference between bent and warped? I do not understand the difference. Thanks.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It probably just needs re-facing at the joint....which is a couple minutes on the lathe.

And a don't-bother-just-yet, if he is going to replace the shaft.

Justin48762...quit your silliness and buy a real cue. These 100$ ones that are fixer-uppers with a twist ar too painful for us.

Yes, you are going to pay 400 instead of $300, but you will have a ready to go cue.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
I'm just going to answer the question so anybody reading down the line knows what happens if a joint screw is truly bent.

Bending usually happens when a cue is dropped and the joint screw impacts a hard surface.

The cue maker typically heats the screw, which softens the glue holding it in place, and removes the bent screw. They will then prepare the area for a new screw by either re-tapping, or by boring the joint, gluing in a wood or phenolic plug, and tapping in a new screw. My experience is this costs somewhere around $50 depending on the joint type and the repair needed. I am not a cue maker but this is the type of repair I've seen done.

Last edited:
I'm just going to answer the question so anybody reading down the line knows what happens if a joint screw is truly bent.

Bending usually happens when a cue is dropped and the joint screw impacts a hard surface.

The cue maker typically heats the screw, which softens the glue holding it in place, and removes the bent screw. They will then prepare the area for a new screw by either re-tapping, or by boring the joint, gluing in a wood or phenolic plug, and tapping in a new screw. My experience is this costs somewhere around $50 depending on the joint type and the repair needed. I am not a cue maker but this is the type of repair I've seen done.

Okay, I understand now (the difference between warped and bent pins, lol). So, if the pin is in fact bent, then the cue was probably dropped and landed on the pin, which made the pin curve toward the wood (and go off center, if that makes sense), and not literally bend actually. Makes sense now. Thanks for your reply.

gregnice37

Bar Banger, Cue Collector
Silver Member
You seriously need to stop buying these fixer users already. Just save 500 instead of 3 or 4 $100 junk cues & buy a Diveney sneaky you seem to enjoy.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If the cue is spun between centers. You will find out everything you need to know. Rollong it on a table can be very misleading.