Sight Along Stick or Something Else?

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Pat -- the point on the head string to place the base of the CB for a 30° spot shot to center pocket is 10.44" off the side rail ignoring throw. So the placement you show in the diagram, 10 1/16", doesn't allow for much throw (less than ½°).

I have much more success on spot shots by placing the CB a couple inches closer to the side rail. Allowing for 1°, 2°, 3° or 4° of throw would put the base of the CB at, respectively, about 9.5", 8.6", 7.7", or 6.7" off the side rail.
Of course that setup isn't good for all speeds and CB rotation - it works well for medium speed rolling CBs and decent equipment. Mainly it's simple to measure.

pj
chgo

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
I setup a similar way. This is a zone A 20/10 shot-but aimed a hair thicker then half ball as its a overcut. On buckets it doesn't matter. Thanks bc21

:wink: thanks. :grin-square:

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I setup a similar way. This is a zone A 20/10 shot-but aimed a hair thicker then half ball as its a overcut. On buckets it doesn't matter. Thanks bc21

You can also make it a 24/12 shot since the ob is in the one place where you need to alter the system as explained in Poolology.

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Of course that setup isn't good for all speeds and CB rotation - it works well for medium speed rolling CBs and decent equipment. Mainly it's simple to measure.

pj
chgo

What if you're not on a 9' table? I like the Poolology approach as it works on any size table.

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
I have an oversized CM (cue marble) :D

I had an 1.5” check ball from a M8 wilden pump, SS core hard acetyl/delrin type seamless material covering.

Called it my chicken egg....I’d go pok pok pok pahkak and run out on folks with it

I need to grab another one.

Put in an order I’ll smuggle some in roflmbo

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
Any size table will work but due to over posting in the AZ Aiming Forum we've all lost the necessary number of marbles to do so. :frown:

I remember when a large group of us were all even about until NPR really took off lol.....Jenny was usually in the lead then cowboy galloped up and I believe that damed seagull who became a Jewish cat stole it on the backstretch

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CaptainPots

Registered
I like keeping my sightline over/along my stick. It allows me to live-monitor my stroke for straightness/accuracy and also to "measure" the cut by pointing the stick a precise distance from the OB contact point.

But once upon a time I liked to sight from contact point-to-contact point, especially for thin cuts, trusting my ability to stroke my stick accurately while sighting beside it rather than over it.

Do you make that choice (or choose another option) consciously?

pj
chgo
Hi

For me I mostly ignore which direction the cue is pointing towards. I focus on two things: (1) will the ball to ball overlap allow me to
Hit the correct contact point (checked by feel) and (2) is my cue tip going to hit the cue ball with the correct English (checked when feathering).

For the same pot with different English, the ball to ball overlap will always look the same.

My visuals are always on the same potting line regardless of English.

Last edited: