With so many LD shafts on the market now, how can one decide?

Jerry R

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thoughts on Predator 314-3 vs. Jacoby Edge vs. Meucci Black Dot?

I've never had the predator, but between the other two I like the Jacoby. It's a firmer hit and you don't have to roll the cue around looking for the dot....
Plus you don't have to defend your choice to the Meucci haters...lol

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thoughts on Predator 314-3 vs. Jacoby Edge vs. Meucci Black Dot?

Not many players use the Black Dot shaft now, the horizontal lamination construction has it's drawbacks to put it mildly. 314/3 is alot more solid than the previous offering, but still got that dead feel to it. Jacoby has a really long taper and I find them a tad whippy for my liking, due to the high number of splices it does not feel silky smooth like an all maple shaft. The deflection is about the same in both shafts.

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
Sorry to open this can of worms, I did try the search function but didn't get the answers I needed.

There are so many shafts on the market and many of the brands of shafts have multiple models. How does one decide? Has anyone found an independent sites like Dr. Daves www.billiards.colostate.edu/ that tests them?

I am leaning towards a Meucci Pro shaft 31", but want to make sure I am making the right choice.

Try before you buy when it comes to cues can get very costly.

Thanks!
-TJ

You don't want the Meucci, the Meucci sucks.....

just kidding. You should definitely try at least a few, find the one that suits you.
That's how I decide. For me the Predators have always worked out best, I also really
like the Jacoby LD shafts. You should definitely try as many as you can if you
haven't already, pick the one that suits you best. It's not very likely to be the same one
that suits your buddy. I personally don't care much for the Meucci's but they have
really worked out well for other people.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How are skinny ones less forgiving? I have a 10 mm tip on a LD pool cue and don't have any issues with it.

pj
chgo

I find that an LD shaft is less forgiving with flaws in someone's stroke than a standard shaft. For example it magnifies accidental english on the cueball causing more misses due to throw or with not hitting exactly where you are aiming. Add that in along with a good layered tip, you need more accuracy the higher LD your shaft is.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Which LD shaft(s) feel(s)/give(s) feedback more like a maple shaft?

Pretty much anything made by a custom cuemaker with one piece construction. One that I know that has a great feel that I tried are from Mike Webb, a friend of mine has two of them. On the lower end side, Players HXT shafts are good for feel.

Jerry R

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Which LD shaft(s) feel(s)/give(s) feedback more like a maple shaft?

Do you mean which multi-piece shaft feels most like a one piece? I'd vote Jacoby

LD has more to do with end mass than shaft construction. My solid maple Meucci Pro is lower deflection than my Jacoby Hybrid or Lucasi Hybrid or OB.
I've also been very impressed with how LD a 30" long 12.5mm Schmelke is with a 1/2" XTC ferrule.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
...small difference between any of the LD's.
Skinny ones tend to be less forgiving.

How are skinny ones less forgiving? I have a 10 mm tip on a LD pool cue and don't have any issues with it.

I find that an LD shaft is less forgiving with flaws in someone's stroke than a standard shaft.
Yes, unless you have a bridge (say 10" or shorter) that's closer to a high-squirt shaft's pivot point.

For example it magnifies accidental english on the cueball
I don't think this is true. Have you tried testing it?

pj
chgo

Last edited:

lakeman77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For me, the Z is hard use, other skinny shafts are OK. I get along with thin HXT, Tiger and SS360's. It probably has to do with stroke quality. Mine being way less than pro grade.

tableroll

Rolling Thunder
Silver Member
Sorry to open this can of worms, I did try the search function but didn't get the answers I needed.

There are so many shafts on the market and many of the brands of shafts have multiple models. How does one decide? Has anyone found an independent sites like Dr. Daves www.billiards.colostate.edu/ that tests them?

I am leaning towards a Meucci Pro shaft 31", but want to make sure I am making the right choice.

Thanks!
-TJ
I'm convinced it does not matter what shaft you use. Hit a bunch of shots and see how much deflection at different speeds you get. Stick with the same shaft and you are set.

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
Apparently the Pro shafts are fairly stiff (for a Meucci). It's a rare shaft, I've never come across one.

Any shaft longer than 30 inches is going to feel strange. The best one I've tried was custom made, the builder made a special effort to minimize the extra flexing and it worked (sort of). All other have felt super bendy and weird to me.

Yes that is true they are micjuch stiffer compared to the rest of the meucci shafts thst all play like chit imop....I have one in my bag from a trade with a friend Iooks fine on outside interested to see what’s going on under the tip, worked on plenty of Meuccis so not expecting to be that impressed generally speaking. I’m sure it’s some mini osb fill crap in the frlerrule like Lucasi etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Poodle of Doom

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Thanks!
-TJ

I actually went to YouTube, and watched a few videos by Brandon the Billiard Guy. If he has the shaft, he'll test it out, show you the deflection from multiple angles, show you how the cue reacts up close, and tell you how it felt to him while shooting. It helped me choose the cue I have today.

tjlmbklr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I actually went to YouTube, and watched a few videos by Brandon the Billiard Guy. If he has the shaft, he'll test it out, show you the deflection from multiple angles, show you how the cue reacts up close, and tell you how it felt to him while shooting. It helped me choose the cue I have today.
Thanks, I'll definitely check it out.

I'm looking to get a 31", possibly 30" shaft and not many have that options other than Meucci Pro and Jacoby both of which I hear goods things about.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

mrinsatiable

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Exactly!!

only you know what you like and don't like. After some time you'll be able to adjust to the shaft.

I'm convinced it does not matter what shaft you use. Hit a bunch of shots and see how much deflection at different speeds you get. Stick with the same shaft and you are set.

prad

Flip the coin
Silver Member
Thanks, I'll definitely check it out.

I'm looking to get a 31", possibly 30" shaft and not many have that options other than Meucci Pro and Jacoby both of which I hear goods things about.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

I have been hearing good things about Revo shaft ... they have been out of stock lately so hard to get now .. Brandon also have a video where he reviews Revo

tjlmbklr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do you mean which multi-piece shaft feels most like a one piece? I'd vote Jacoby

LD has more to do with end mass than shaft construction. My solid maple Meucci Pro is lower deflection than my Jacoby Hybrid or Lucasi Hybrid or OB.
I've also been very impressed with how LD a 30" long 12.5mm Schmelke is with a 1/2" XTC ferrule.

Right now it's between Meucci Pro or Schmelke PTO with the XTC ferrule.

Since it seems you have played with both, which would you say has lower deflection? And does the Meucci also use the XTC ferrule?

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I wonder what OB you have. Having shot plenty with a Meucci Pro, I think every OB shaft has lower deflection except possibly the classic. (White ferrule 12.75mm). The wood ferrule OB's have deflection well less than the Meucci. Also, the Meucci is not solid maple. It is 1 piece, but the end is hollowed out and replaced with a lighter weight wood. This allows the claim that it is "solid wood". Technically it is, but it is not solid maple haha. Gets confusing. I agree that the Meucci Pro is lower deflection than Jacoby and Lucasi.

KMRUNOUT

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums