US International 9-Ball Open Details Released

Michael Andros

tiny balls, GIANT pockets
Silver Member
There are fewer and fewer high-profile pool competitions happening on United States soil. China is hopping with pool activity, as are other regions of the world.

Folks, especially Americans should be supporting this event instead of trying to figure how much profit the organizer is making, what kind of table or equipment he should use, and who he should let play free or not free.

Those who think they can do a better job, have at it. I'd love to see more events. In the meantime, let's support what we have.

Pro players are banned from many regional tours, and the majority American pros cannot afford to fly to China to compete. Most pool sponsors here sponsort the pro by way of product, not cash. It is nice to have some events here, and I hope this one continues in the future. :cool:

Amen, JAM. :clapping:

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
View attachment 489551

The U.S. International 9-Ball Open
Norfolk, Virginia
October 21-27, 2018

Pat Fleming takes immense pride in officially announcing the U.S. International 9-Ball Open!
It will be staged at the Sheraton Waterside Hotel in Norfolk, Virginia.

This will be the fourth straight year that the Sheraton will be hosting a major global 9-Ball event.
As in the past, the Sheraton will provide all of the creature comforts that you would expect from a world class hotel. Discounted rates on hotel rooms are offered for spectators as well as for contestants. An assortment of meal options will be available including food stations in the ballroom and full course menus in their City Dock Norfolk restaurant.

The U.S. Open 9-Ball Championships was an annual event that will skip 2018 and continue in Las Vegas, Nevada in 2019 under the auspices of Matchroom Sports.

Good to see this. Hopefully it continues this year so it will effectively be a new major addition to the annual calendar

I'd give the defending champ. a free entry but everybody else has to pay-up.

+1
I mean it is absurd if they keep giving free entries to past champions , doesn't that mean prizemoney will keep reducing every year?
Soon when there are another 112 winners, everyone plays for free and prizemoney is only added money $50K :grin:

Mark Griffin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have seen and heard a lot in my 63 years so far on this earth.

It never ceases to amaze me how fickle people are. It was only a fee weeks ago pat was getting a whole lot of atta boys on here and people were singing praises on how much pat has done for pool over the years and also voicing their discontent on pat getting the shaft so to speak concerning the us open.

Now pat is getting a bunch of aww chits and wondering what kind of subterfuge is going on concerning the payout of his tournament.

Well.....considering the perceived reputation of ....any one promoting pool is a crook and lining their pockets off the backs of poor unsuspecting pool players I guess the comments in this thread are expected.

According to pat he is doing the same thing he did the last 3 years while running the u s open. .... With high praise from every one I might add. Where have all you pool detectives been for the last 3 years in not catching this gross misconduct of pats ?

I hate to see pats....arguably sterling reputation tarnished like it has been in this thread for not explicitly itemizing where every last dollar in this tournament is going.

Its a wonder guys like pat Fleming and mark griffin keep.doing what they do for pool . Ya'll guys keep wondering why some savior with deep pockets does not come along and rescue pool ?

If I ever hit the lottery and decided to sponsor a pro tourney and then come on here and read crap like I do about where every damn dime went I would tell all ya' ll to go fvck yourselves and put my money where it was appreciated.

There is no telling how many countless hours pat has spent putting this together and if he made a few dollars it would be money well earned. Apparently the only money he intends to make off this is through video sales....i suppose that money oughta go to the players also huh ? Come to think of it ...i did read such a thread on here one time. :rolleyes:

I TOTALLY AGREE! Getting bashed is no fun.... lol

Mark Griffin

JoseV

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a huge feeling Pats tournament is going to feel exactly like the past U.S.Open's, like nothing changed.

The Vegas tournament is the one thats not going to feel like previous U.S. Open's and have such a diffrent feel to it.

Im just going to wait and see but i am glad Pat did something for this area, and he just made a major pro tourney out of this mess.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member
This is pool. Why does anyone think there would be full disclosure?
All the promoter had to say was the event is $30k added. Still more than almost every other promoter is going to add to an event on US soil. (In fact I can’t think of one right now). But to make it better than it seems, that’s just how things are done in pool. And just one reason why pool hasn’t gone anywhere in decades. Yes - Pat should profit off of the event. As the promoter that is for him to figure out the best way he can make that happen. False advertising shouldn’t be his choice.

But hey maybe there is something missing here......besides the advertised added money.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
9 fts are big enough for most folk and certainly big enough to get it on TV. General public will be confused as hell by 10 fts and there is zero need to play on them even from a players point of view. This is a pool tournament, not a money match.

People can't tell the difference. Hell, I have a 10' and still have trouble telling the difference between the different brands. Pros should be on 10', have no idea what you're talking about.
Jason

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
People can't tell the difference. Hell, I have a 10' and still have trouble telling the difference between the different brands. Pros should be on 10', have no idea what you're talking about.
Jason

No idea what you are talking about either. Would be great to see pros playing on 10 fts. Would also be great to see the machine like snooker pros playing on 14fts. Not gonna happen though as there is no need for it in the greater scheme of things.

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A lot of world class players, including the Taiwan guys. Still missing about 5 more from the Phillipines.

Hopefully they can fill up to 128.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Frankie Hernandez signing up so early!? He must have gotten shut out one year. Although then again, he does have a job!

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
62 players signed up as on June 19 for a late Oct tournament. This looks super promising to max out at 128 by tournament start.

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
62 players signed up as on June 19 for a late Oct tournament. This looks super promising to max out at 128 by tournament start.

The Open was just a 4 hour drive away for us with cheap lodging and an incredible poolhall that is 24 hours just minutes away... We have be going to it for the last 15 years.

We will be attending the USI9 now that is taking it's place as Vegas is nowhere near as convenient.

Don't get me wrong, the US Open moving to Vegas under Matchroom is a good thing overall if you are for the betterment of pool... just nice to still have something in it's original place.