Attachments

• fargo.PNG
    fargo.PNG
    33 KB · Views: 227

mikepage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
no comment :rolleyes:

You should have more respect for Kazakis. He is really on a tear and deserves to be here. He just beat Alex 13-10 in the finals in a tournament in NC, and here is his impressive record from the last three months. The guy is on fire...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-06-17 at 10.54.40 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-06-17 at 10.54.40 PM.png
    193 KB · Views: 218

pmac666

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You should have more respect for Kazakis. He is really on a tear and deserves to be here. He just beat Alex 13-10 in the finals in a tournament in NC, and here is his impressive record from the last three months. The guy is on fire...

hehe guess you got me wrong there, or it was great sarcasm!:thumbup:

so, kazakis, who is probably, and backed by your own post, one of the best or the best player atm, is 35, behind siming, same as efren, behind JB and MD and some others.....and wu is no3 with (by yor own post) 13/6 over the last year........dont say kaza should be no1,but 35? THIRTY.FIVE. no fkin way
thought fargo should show the speed of the players of today?

sry, and with all respect for the hard work (and you seem to be a nice guy the way you handle rowdys like me), but i cant take your rankings serious, so many weak spots in there and that hasnt changed over the last 2-3 yrs since i follow it and while you say, it will get better and even out, it clearly doesnt........(and please, i dont need more numbers to back your list up, you will never convince me its the right way to rate players)
but GL, maybe one day......

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
hehe guess you got me wrong there, or it was great sarcasm!:thumbup:

so, kazakis, who is probably, and backed by your own post, one of the best or the best player atm, is 35, behind siming, same as efren, behind JB and MD and some others.....and wu is no3 with (by yor own post) 13/6 over the last year........dont say kaza should be no1,but 35? THIRTY.FIVE. no fkin way
thought fargo should show the speed of the players of today?

sry, and with all respect for the hard work (and you seem to be a nice guy the way you handle rowdys like me), but i cant take your rankings serious, so many weak spots in there and that hasnt changed over the last 2-3 yrs since i follow it and while you say, it will get better and even out, it clearly doesnt........(and please, i dont need more numbers to back your list up, you will never convince me its the right way to rate players)
but GL, maybe one day......

I knew excatly what you were pointing out , I highly her backers are looking for a game even with him

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

What is his Fargorate only using games from 2018? Last 3 months?

mikepage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I knew excatly what you were pointing out , I highly her backers are looking for a game even with him

Yeah.... I knew too.

pmac has had a problem with players performance all along. And if you look back over his objections, it is mostly or always that one or more Europeans are not where he favors them to be.

Bergman can't be where FargoRate assesses him
Dechaine can't be where Fargorate assesses him
Efren can't be where Fargorate assesses him

How can Albin not be higher?

He wants to see player ratings "even out" to where he thinks they should be. I'm stating the obvious, but the can't simultaneously even out to where PMAC thinks they should be, Stu thinks they should be, Jay thinks they should be, and so forth...

So if you don't mind we'll just go where the data takes us

mikepage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
last 3 months around 810

And for the record Filler is about 20 points higher than that (830) for the last 3 months.

And Shaw was nearly 20 points higher than Filler's resent performance for a three-month period last year. (850)

While these swings are meaningful, it is easy to over-interpret them. FargoRate is designed to interpret them without over-interpreting them

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And for the record Filler is about 20 points higher than that (830) for the last 3 months.

And Shaw was nearly 20 points higher than Filler's resent performance for a three-month period last year. (850)

While these swings are meaningful, it is easy to over-interpret them. FargoRate is designed to interpret them without over-interpreting them

Do you think this has to do with younger players simply improving or just playing close to top speed for a 3 month span? I believe you said recent games have more of an impact on current fargorate, but to what degree?

mikepage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do you think this has to do with younger players simply improving or just playing close to top speed for a 3 month span? I believe you said recent games have more of an impact on current fargorate, but to what degree?

I think it is nearly all just statistical fluctuation. To give you an idea, here is SVB's 10,000 games over the last decade broken into 500ish game chunks, each spanning 4-6 months or so. The red line (which i just drew in freehand) is approximately what FargoRate wants to be measuring. This is the real changes in skill. The somewhat wild swings from that are a combination of luck and being in stroke/out of stroke, relationship problems, exercising and eating well, and on and on --but a lots of it is just rolls so to speak.

If SVB spent the next 500 games performing at 840 speed, I'd say "Ok, he's not declining, and 820 is about right. If he spends the next 500 games performing at 790 speed, I'd say maybe he is declining a bit. But as you can see it is important not to over-react to good and bad seasons.

Attachments

• svbplot.png
    svbplot.png
    24.8 KB · Views: 282

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is an 800 today equivalent to an 800 ten years ago? I thought it wasn’t, that it’s a relative measure made in comparison to the competition. So if SVB’s rating goes up 40 points in 10 years, you can’t say he’s improved 5%. He might have actually declined in ability over that time, but everyone else declined even more.

I think it would be interesting to do what the Elo sports guys do sometimes, where they look at a team’s season this year and calculate their Elo, and then do the same for a team from 25 years ago. You can address questions like “who is better, Golden State of the 2010s, or the Bulls of the 1990s?” In pool you could get a Fargo rating of Earl Strickland in the 1980s and SVB of the 2000s.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Is an 800 today equivalent to an 800 ten years ago? I thought it wasn’t, that it’s a relative measure made in comparison to the competition. So if SVB’s rating goes up 40 points in 10 years, you can’t say he’s improved 5%. He might have actually declined in ability over that time, but everyone else declined even more.

I think it would be interesting to do what the Elo sports guys do sometimes, where they look at a team’s season this year and calculate their Elo, and then do the same for a team from 25 years ago. You can address questions like “who is better, Golden State of the 2010s, or the Bulls of the 1990s?” In pool you could get a Fargo rating of Earl Strickland in the 1980s and SVB of the 2000s.

Lassiter and Hall in their primes would be interesting....
...but not enough games recorded, I would think

pmac666

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah.... I knew too.

pmac has had a problem with players performance all along. And if you look back over his objections, it is mostly or always that one or more Europeans are not where he favors them to be.

Bergman can't be where FargoRate assesses him
Dechaine can't be where Fargorate assesses him
Efren can't be where Fargorate assesses him

How can Albin not be higher?

He wants to see player ratings "even out" to where he thinks they should be. I'm stating the obvious, but the can't simultaneously even out to where PMAC thinks they should be, Stu thinks they should be, Jay thinks they should be, and so forth...

So if you don't mind we'll just go where the data takes us

exactly!
was albin ever in the top 20 after he destroyed nearly everything for 2 yrs? (hes better ranked now then 2 yrs ago, and is surely not as good as he was back then)
how is it possible that those 2 US players always been ahead of him and still are? (dont jump on that fact, i saw albin is a few spots ahead of JB now lol)
what about a big moneymatch between melling (no 60 :rolleyes:) and siming.......i bet my house against your house!
seriously efren? he shoots the same speed as kazakis? set it up, i have now 2 houses to bet lol
wu no3? based on 19 games in a yr where he lost 6? "he lost 11-6 to Albin, 11-3 to Mika, 11-1 to Thorpe, 9-5 to Tangudd, 9-2 to Tuetcher, and 11-8 to a 700-level player in japan".....has he won his 13 other games only vs shane and jayson convincingly to justify a no3? cause theres alot to even out for him after those partly embarrassing losses for the "3rd best player" of the world
dodong gets no3 spot after playing 2 tourneys....or was it 3? (alone this shows how misleading fargo is)
and shane thrones over all the others by winning.....yeah by winning what notable since his last US open? (how long would be federer or nadal no1 when they only would win a few 250 and 500 events?)

this is alot of bullshittery there and reason enough FOR ME not to take it serious.....each to their own ofc

question: since most of you hunting the easy dollar, why dont you guys stake JB or MD for some big tourneys? should be easy money since they are better than kaza.......LOL
anyways, they already have shown their confidence of beating a world field by not attending (funny, they never do, except 2-3 times a yr with a occassional last 8 or last 16 result, wonder why, jaja i know, the expenses lol) while kaza has the confidence to travell across the pond to make some $$$...... looks like the players themself dont agree with fargo!

ah and btw dont think this is some weird fandom towards albin or kaza (they prolly care about their fargoratings less than i do and i care very less where they are in a flawed system, i only look at it when i have a bad day and some giggles lighten my mood lol)), they are just the perfect exemples how inaccurate fargo is working, just like the others i mentioned.....but what can you expect else by stringing racks together regardless if its a worldevent or a 1k added bartable tourney?

would be interresting what ranking experts of other sports had to say about fargo......or how a tennisranking would look like based on games won/lost (this would prolly show how accurate fargo is, but ofc alot of work and i wont do it lol)

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
exactly!
was albin ever in the top 20 after he destroyed nearly everything for 2 yrs? (hes better ranked now then 2 yrs ago, and is surely not as good as he was back then)
how is it possible that those 2 US players always been ahead of him and still are? (dont jump on that fact, i saw albin is a few spots ahead of JB now lol)
what about a big moneymatch between melling (no 60 :rolleyes:) and siming.......i bet my house against your house!
seriously efren? he shoots the same speed as kazakis? set it up, i have now 2 houses to bet lol
wu no3? based on 19 games in a yr where he lost 6? "he lost 11-6 to Albin, 11-3 to Mika, 11-1 to Thorpe, 9-5 to Tangudd, 9-2 to Tuetcher, and 11-8 to a 700-level player in japan".....has he won his 13 other games only vs shane and jayson convincingly to justify a no3? cause theres alot to even out for him after those partly embarrassing losses for the "3rd best player" of the world
dodong gets no3 spot after playing 2 tourneys....or was it 3? (alone this shows how misleading fargo is)
and shane thrones over all the others by winning.....yeah by winning what notable since his last US open? (how long would be federer or nadal no1 when they only would win a few 250 and 500 events?)

this is alot of bullshittery there and reason enough FOR ME not to take it serious.....each to their own ofc

question: since most of you hunting the easy dollar, why dont you guys stake JB or MD for some big tourneys? should be easy money since they are better than kaza.......LOL
anyways, they already have shown their confidence of beating a world field by not attending (funny, they never do, except 2-3 times a yr with a occassional last 8 or last 16 result, wonder why, jaja i know, the expenses lol) while kaza has the confidence to travell across the pond to make some $$$...... looks like the players themself dont agree with fargo!

ah and btw dont think this is some weird fandom towards albin or kaza (they prolly care about their fargoratings less than i do and i care very less where they are in a flawed system, i only look at it when i have a bad day and some giggles lighten my mood lol)), they are just the perfect exemples how inaccurate fargo is working, just like the others i mentioned.....but what can you expect else by stringing racks together regardless if its a worldevent or a 1k added bartable tourney?

would be interresting what ranking experts of other sports had to say about fargo......or how a tennisranking would look like based on games won/lost (this would prolly show how accurate fargo is, but ofc alot of work and i wont do it lol)

You make me laugh.
Thank you
Jason

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think it is nearly all just statistical fluctuation. To give you an idea, here is SVB's 10,000 games over the last decade broken into 500ish game chunks, each spanning 4-6 months or so. The red line (which i just drew in freehand) is approximately what FargoRate wants to be measuring. This is the real changes in skill. The somewhat wild swings from that are a combination of luck and being in stroke/out of stroke, relationship problems, exercising and eating well, and on and on --but a lots of it is just rolls so to speak.

If SVB spent the next 500 games performing at 840 speed, I'd say "Ok, he's not declining, and 820 is about right. If he spends the next 500 games performing at 790 speed, I'd say maybe he is declining a bit. But as you can see it is important not to over-react to good and bad seasons.

I like graphs. Seems like he improved until around 2012 and has played pretty much the same since. So peaked early 30s?

I would like to see the same thing for Shaw. He seems to be a much more well rounded player than he was 5 years ago.

Fuller and Kaci are still very young. Will be interesting to see whether they improve in the future or if their games remain about the same.

Alex Kanapilly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is the same issue we have in Politics. People don't believe the data

exactly!

What I had to say was in the title.

pmac666

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What I had to say was in the title.

true, and alot of ppl believing in misleading data........or even in blatant daily lies lolol

again. lets just put dodong into relation with kaza.......the one gets no3 spot (best filipino haha) for pretty much nothing, ofc he couldnt hold the rank, while kaza (a established player) goes on a destroying roll and ends up on 35, TWENTY SIX places behind dodong......yeah sounds about right haha if it would be the other way around i could accept it lol