CJ Wiley VS Efren Reyes - June 19, 2018

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
CJ overpowers the 9 running it down the rail. Perfect position for the 10.

9 hangs in the pocket jaws.

Efren out.

Efren 9-8.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Efren break and run.
15-11

If not for quite a few of CJ's unforced errors, this match would have been a lot closer or CJ would have won.

Neither played perfect, but Efren made way fewer errors.

Good match, though.

Hope it is recorded somewhere.

Congrats Efren!

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice match, I enjoyed.

Good sport by both.

Is deanoc going to play efren 1p for a big stack?

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looks like a great turn out.

So many in line to take pics and autographs. Everyone seems delighted for the opportunity.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Efren break and run.
15-11

If not for quite a few of CJ's unforced errors, this match would have been a lot closer or CJ would have won.

Neither played perfect, but Efren made way fewer errors.

Good match, though.

Hope it is recorded somewhere.

Congrats Efren!

If I made 5 fewer unforced errors per game, I'd be a pro:):):)

shinobi

kanadajindayo
Silver Member
If I made 5 fewer unforced errors per game, I'd be a pro:):):)

CJ looked really good, hitting a lot of balls in the center of the pocket at high speed, getting perfect shape, etc. That made the unforced errors all the more unexpected. A little rust, I imagine.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
CJ looked really good, hitting a lot of balls in the center of the pocket at high speed, getting perfect shape, etc. That made the unforced errors all the more unexpected. A little rust, I imagine.

I agree, he played well but I did expect better. When playing efren a person just can't make the type mistakes CJ made and expect to do any better.

Like others said, I enjoyed it non the less.

And yes, there is lots of rust in his game.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This match needs to be put into perspective.

1. It was an "exhibition".
2. Efren is a touring pro, who has never had a job, never taken a long break from the game, and has played for more than 50 years straight.
3. CJ used to be a touring pro, but quit many years ago, and now only plays part time and pool isn't his only endeavor.
4. Efren just beat Jeremy Jones playing 10-ball and I think everyone thinks Jeremy may be the favorite over CJ.
5. Efren has been playing world-class players all the way up into this event. CJ has been playing with players who aren't world class.

All in all, I think the match was good entertainment. For those who paid close attention, you definitely could see the greatly different styles of game they were playing. Efren was playing a lot of softer shots with lots of spin at times, but CJ was using TOI and slamming the balls into the pockets. You could hear the "pops" loudly. You also could see that CJ was "gliding" the ball around the table instead of spinning it. It made for interesting watching.

Aloha.

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member
I frankly think CJ played way better than I expected him to. He hung within a game of Efren Freakin' Reyes for nearly the entire set, right up until the end when Efren pulled away. And I don't believe Efren was laying down on him, either. Yes, he has some rust and not a lot of AAA players around him to keep sharp with, but given that, I thought he was damn sharp.