Meucci MO-5

subdude1974

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Have a guy offering me one in a trade deal but don’t know what the cue is worth. It is mint, possibly unplayed with 2 shafts and the original pill bumper. Any and all help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Michael Andros

tiny balls, GIANT pockets
Silver Member
Have a guy offering me one in a trade deal but don’t know what the cue is worth. It is mint, possibly unplayed with 2 shafts and the original pill bumper. Any and all help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Even though I have 3, I'm no Meucci expert. Chopdoc will most likely weigh in here before long and he'll have a better idea, but... I would say, from what I could find, it looks like a 90s cue and if it's effectively brand new, straight, 2 shafts, no marring, it's probably worth somewhere @ 400 to 500? Just a guess.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Even though I have 3, I'm no Meucci expert. Chopdoc will most likely weigh in here before long and he'll have a better idea, but...

I really, really hate addressing the value issue. Somebody always ends up feeling like they got their dick stepped on.

I have made a few transgressions into value and I don't like the way it goes.

It's easy enough to check completed sales on Ebay. Anybody can do it.

A minty one with two shafts should pull a premium price though.

Michael Andros

Silver Member
I really, really hate addressing the value issue. Somebody always ends up feeling like they got their dick stepped on.

I have made a few transgressions into value and I don't like the way it goes.

It's easy enough to check completed sales on Ebay. Anybody can do it.

A minty one with two shafts should pull a premium price though.

.. and there you have it. A totally committed non-committal! :woot: :thud: :duck:

Duane Remick

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Brass pin, or steel pin ?
makes a little difference-
Brass dates the cue to BE THE OLDER- OLDEST VERSION-
ADDING A LITTLE MORE DESIRE/ COLLECTABILTY " it seems"
steel pin - I guess 500 to 700
brass pin a little more....
I looked up the cue on the archives at budget-
shows a basic 4 pointer with veneers M05

subdude1974

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is a 1st catalog MO-5. Well before 90’s. Just can’t find an Mo-5 anywhere that has sold lately. Last one I saw on here the guy was asking $1000 but aside from that, I can’t find anything. Oh well.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is a 1st catalog MO-5. Well before 90’s. Just can’t find an Mo-5 anywhere that has sold lately. Last one I saw on here the guy was asking $1000 but aside from that, I can’t find anything. Oh well.

I saw that one too.

Asking prices mean nothing.

It's like real estate though, check comparables. It need not be the exact model, but a comparable model. That will usually get you in the ball park.

Condition is everything.

subdude1974

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Right. Problem is that the MO-5 is a rare model that you don’t see at all. I am at a loss on it. But I will probably end up passing on it unless they add cash. Thanks to all.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The market price for ANYTHING is the most that someone is willing to actually pay for an item at a given point in time- that is true definition of MARKET price. I would say that ASKING price for the cue you describe would fall in the $600 range; unless the RIGHT buyer came along however, given demand and pricing valuations for the current used cue market, expectations on sale should probably hover around $400 to $500. My recent experiences on selling excellent quality vintage production cues is that market prices have fallen to new lows with little expectations of going higher here in the U.S. - just not enough new blood has come into the demand range in the past several years- not enough younger folks with $$ and interest in vintage cues, IMO - perhaps in China the story may be different, do not know. MY recent sales have been very disappointing and I am glad , however, to get rid of them NOW- future looks very bleak on cue sale prices here in the U.S. Personally, I will not buy any more cues in my lifetime, taking too much of a hit on resales when I want to do an exchange for something that I see and like. Reserving my cue euphoria for what I presently own and play with - cue collecting days are OVER!

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The market price for ANYTHING is the most that someone is willing to actually pay for an item at a given point in time- that is true definition of MARKET price. I would say that ASKING price for the cue you describe would fall in the $600 range; unless the RIGHT buyer came along however, given demand and pricing valuations for the current used cue market, expectations on sale should probably hover around $400 to $500. My recent experiences on selling excellent quality vintage production cues is that market prices have fallen to new lows with little expectations of going higher here in the U.S. - just not enough new blood has come into the demand range in the past several years- not enough younger folks with $$ and interest in vintage cues, IMO - perhaps in China the story may be different, do not know. MY recent sales have been very disappointing and I am glad , however, to get rid of them NOW- future looks very bleak on cue sale prices here in the U.S. Personally, I will not buy any more cues in my lifetime, taking too much of a hit on resales when I want to do an exchange for something that I see and like. Reserving my cue euphoria for what I presently own and play with - cue collecting days are OVER!

Sounds like you are very frustrated.

I think the values of such cues were inflated more than I think they are now depressed.

The cue isn't actually "rare". And it isn't a custom. How much do you really think such a thing should be worth?

A lot of guys say they are collectors ...but that means different things to different people I guess.

I am not frustrated at all by cue values. I am a collector. I am not a cue "flipper".

What's got to be frustrating is you guys trying to flip cues among yourselves and complaining about "meat on the bone".

I have two cues that are worth what I have in them, the rest are worth more...and a number of cues that I have are still worth several hundred percent more. Why?

The hunt for cues outside the community of collectors and dealers...bargain hunting.

I like the Glenn family approach to collecting. Buy. Period. Don't sell or trade.

I rarely sell or trade.

And on the same topic, I have one Meucci in my collection. And I don't even really want it. I have had it for ten years, just a butt, and it needs refinished. I got it dirt cheap, that's the only reason I got it. I have never owned any other Meucci though I have shot with numerous Meucci cues.

You won't buy any more cues? Cool. I am still buying. The more cues you guys don't buy the better the market is for me.

The market is now "depressed" as you observe, prices are low. And you say you quit buying and even appear angry. It seems you may have had something backwards if you quit buying when prices are low anyway.

If I buy any Meucci it will be among those made in the Huebler shop in the earliest Meucci days. I would like to have a nice example of one. But I will only give about $75 for one, and preferably a lot less...so obviously I am not shopping here. And there are only a few I will trust to deal with here...and believe it or not the list I will sell to is a lot shorter than the list I will buy from. I am a collector and invest a lot of time and research in obtaining things at bargain prices...so those that benefit from that are on a very short list.

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
Sounds like you are very frustrated.

I think the values of such cues were inflated more than I think they are now depressed.

The cue isn't actually "rare". And it isn't a custom. How much do you really think such a thing should be worth?

A lot of guys say they are collectors ...but that means different things to different people I guess.

I am not frustrated at all by cue values. I am a collector. I am not a cue "flipper".

What's got to be frustrating is you guys trying to flip cues among yourselves and complaining about "meat on the bone".

I have two cues that are worth what I have in them, the rest are worth more...and a number of cues that I have are still worth several hundred percent more. Why?

The hunt for cues outside the community of collectors and dealers...bargain hunting.

I like the Glenn family approach to collecting. Buy. Period. Don't sell or trade.

I rarely sell or trade.

And on the same topic, I have one Meucci in my collection. And I don't even really want it. I have had it for ten years, just a butt, and it needs refinished. I got it dirt cheap, that's the only reason I got it. I have never owned any other Meucci though I have shot with numerous Meucci cues.

You won't buy any more cues? Cool. I am still buying. The more cues you guys don't buy the better the market is for me.

The market is now "depressed" as you observe, prices are low. And you say you quit buying and even appear angry. It seems you may have had something backwards if you quit buying when prices are low anyway.

If I buy any Meucci it will be among those made in the Huebler shop in the earliest Meucci days. I would like to have a nice example of one. But I will only give about $75 for one, and preferably a lot less...so obviously I am not shopping here. And there are only a few I will trust to deal with here...and believe it or not the list I will sell to is a lot shorter than the list I will buy from. I am a collector and invest a lot of time and research in obtaining things at bargain prices...so those that benefit from that are on a very short list.

seems a little harsh.

I thought mikemosconi made some good points, actually.

just my take, though.

best,
brian kc

Last edited:

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
Howdy Chopdoc, I have a Meucci st-3 I think it says. Any how my question is this - it has raised block lettering on the butt cap that says Meucci original. What is the significance of the raised block lettering?

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry, but I am not angry at all, just a realist- the market is what a willing and able buyer is willing to pay TODAY for a given item. I have owned many high end cues and only some production cues - all production cues were made prior to 1995. I played with every cue I owned in my own home room for the joy and pleasure of appreciating each cue's characteristics. Never really bought cues just to sell them. I still have a small group left- very small, five to be exact. Buying and selling, to some degree, IS part of what most collectors engage in for almost any collectible category; but some never sell, that is fine too. My observation was, and still is, that cues, meaning custom cues and vintage production cues that have some form of collector appeal, in MY OWN RECENT (past three years) experience and market observations, are either NOT finding ready market buyers at even close to asking prices or are selling at prices that have not inflated and in many cases deflated from my own purchase price of the cue on the secondary market when I obtained the cue. I accept this as a CUE MARKET FACT, on my personal recent experiences and I ACCEPT it and am NOT ANGRY about it - True, I would buy into the stock market on the dips, but,as i stated prior, I am NOT buying into the cue market on the dips, I do not see it rising to new heights again. I appreciate cues as much as anyone, but financially, I tend to want to add some realism to any investment of my $$ - to each his own, right - does not mean I am angry at all. I see some people on this site's "for sale" section "hyping" cue values like bench jockeys, it is not working any more folks- so hopefully those that own cues love them for what they see in the cue and that is as it should be, but as an investment though, not really there any more, from my perspective.

spliced

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you aren’t buying the MO-5 from him, please have him contact me idmpa85 at yahoo.com

Michael Andros

Silver Member
Howdy Chopdoc, I have a Meucci st-3 I think it says. Any how my question is this - it has raised block lettering on the butt cap that says Meucci original. What is the significance of the raised block lettering?

Hey Danny, do you actually play with the ST-3? Or is it just taking up closet space? :grin-square:

overlord

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a Meucci Original I played briefly with in the early 90s. Steel pin, two shafts and it has what appears to be two white plastic points with red veneers.

It also came in a case with with foam spaces for the butt and shafts. Everything is held very snug in that case. It has a slide on top.

I bought this cue many moons ago from " Joe the maintenance man " at the Hollywood Athletic Club.

I never play with it.

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
me billiard cue

Hey Danny, do you actually play with the ST-3? Or is it just taking up closet space? :grin-square:

No it's my one of my main players, had the shaft and ferrule modified. Not looking to sell, do you have any info on the raised lettering of butt cap Mr. Andros - or know of any experts? I may have to call Bob Meucci. I like the huebler on the left of your avatar by the way, I have about five cues and none of them are taking up closet space. Believe it or not I play 3-cushion billiards with the st-3 original, shaft taper is not whippy'.

Last edited:

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
that is what i thought

I almost forgot that there was not anyone here on this forum that had any real input, just keep playin yer bar pool leagues and goin to vegas yall can help lead whats lft of real pool into the still waters. I like to get my answers from someone whom is not afraid to show there real name instead of the wanna b cowards that infest this forum. You cant purchase or steal my meucci either vultures. Thanks fur nothin wanna be bar bangers.

Last edited: