Push out 9 ball

i need somethin

i SeEn It... hE nEeDs It
Silver Member
Can someone please explain to me the rules of push out 9 ball?

I dont know if theres a rule book on this type of 9 ball.

All comments are much appreciated.

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Simpler days! ;)

28317526579_2a57f22015_z.jpg

26224057938_e0a43cd8a3_z.jpg

AlienObserver

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The rulebook picture above isn't accurate enough..

Push out is a special shot that can only be played after the break in 9-ball and 10-ball.
After the break you have the option of calling a push out (EVEN IF you can see the lowest number ball, it doesn't matter) and shoot the white however you like. By this I mean that you can hit the white and make contact with another ball other than the lowest number ball (or even with the lowest number ball, it's up to you) or you can shoot the white and not make contact with any ball, even with any rail. Basically you can do whatever you want besides potting the white, or intentional miscue (in both cases it's a foul and ball in hand for the other player)

When you play a push out, the opponent gets on the table and sees if he/she wants to take the shot. By this point on the rules are "normal", that is that he has to hit the lowest number ball and make contact with a rail or pot something. If he doesn't want to take the shot, he turns the shot back to you, and then you have to play on, you don't have any other option.

As I said, the rulebook above isn't accurate. You can play push out even if you see the lowest number ball. It's all matter of your strategy.

If you are playing with a 3 point break rule (as all major tournaments in Europe as far as I know) there is an additional rule.
Let's say player A breaks and it's an illegal break (no 3 points achieved), then player B gets on the table. Player B now doesn't have the option to play a push out. His only options are to either take the shot on that it's on the table or pass it to player A. If he pass it to player A, player A does have again 2 options: either take the shot on, or play a push out. If he plays a push out, then again player B will see the shot and he can either play or make player A shoot again.

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The rulebook picture above isn't accurate enough..

Push out is a special shot that can only be played after the break in 9-ball and 10-ball.
After the break you have the option of calling a push out (EVEN IF you can see the lowest number ball, it doesn't matter) and shoot the white however you like. By this I mean that you can hit the white and make contact with another ball other than the lowest number ball (or even with the lowest number ball, it's up to you) or you can shoot the white and not make contact with any ball, even with any rail. Basically you can do whatever you want besides potting the white, or intentional miscue (in both cases it's a foul and ball in hand for the other player)

When you play a push out, the opponent gets on the table and sees if he/she wants to take the shot. By this point on the rules are "normal", that is that he has to hit the lowest number ball and make contact with a rail or pot something. If he doesn't want to take the shot, he turns the shot back to you, and then you have to play on, you don't have any other option.

As I said, the rulebook above isn't accurate. You can play push out even if you see the lowest number ball. It's all matter of your strategy.

If you are playing with a 3 point break rule (as all major tournaments in Europe as far as I know) there is an additional rule.
Let's say player A breaks and it's an illegal break (no 3 points achieved), then player B gets on the table. Player B now doesn't have the option to play a push out. His only options are to either take the shot on that it's on the table or pass it to player A. If he pass it to player A, player A does have again 2 options: either take the shot on, or play a push out. If he plays a push out, then again player B will see the shot and he can either play or make player A shoot again.
Pretty sure the OP was asking about 2-shot roll-out 9ball. What you described is the push-out in regular one-foul 9ball. Two different games entirely.

AlienObserver

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pretty sure the OP was asking about 2-shot roll-out 9ball. What you described is the push-out in regular one-foul 9ball. Two different games entirely.

My bad then, I've never heard of this game, so I assumed he didn't word it correctly.

Michael Andros

tiny balls, GIANT pockets
Silver Member

"2-shot roll-out 9ball" Whazzat? Sounds like something I saw in a Justice League of America comic book! Superman and Batman were playing pool, arguing about something... I think they said something like that.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Push-out was the game back when I started playing 9-ball. One foul BIH hadn't been invented yet.

We played that you could push-out at any time. You didn't have to be hooked. We also played winner breaks, not loser breaks (as it says in the last sentence of the rules in that book). There were people who played alternate breaks, but that was usually only done if someone was playing sets.

Sets weren't too popular where I grew up playing. People usually played by the game or froze up some money and played until someone won it all. There were sometimes matches that were races...usually to 11 or more. Nobody played the short sets of 3 and 5 that you see now...at least where I played.

IMHO, push-out 9-ball made for a more strategic game and it was much more entertaining to play and watch.

To me, today's 9-ball is boring. The one-foul BIH has ruined the game and taken a lot of excitement out of it. Today, almost nobody will go for a really difficult shot if their chances for position are "iffy", because the penalty of hooking yourself is too great. If you hook yourself and miss, your opponent has BIH. In push-out, people would go for "wilder" shots because they knew if they made it and then happened to hook themselves, they could "push out" to a difficult shot for their opponent instead of giving them BIH. The opponent may pass the shot back, but it was better than trying to kick at an impossible hit and giving away the cue ball. It gave you more control of your destiny.

Michael Andros

Silver Member
Push-out was the game back when I started playing 9-ball. One foul BIH hadn't been invented yet.

We played that you could push-out at any time. You didn't have to be hooked. We also played winner breaks, not loser breaks (as it says in the last sentence of the rules in that book). There were people who played alternate breaks, but that was usually only done if someone was playing sets.

Sets weren't too popular where I grew up playing. People usually played by the game or froze up some money and played until someone won it all. There were sometimes matches that were races...usually to 11 or more. Nobody played the short sets of 3 and 5 that you see now...at least where I played.

IMHO, push-out 9-ball made for a more strategic game and it was much more entertaining to play and watch.

To me, today's 9-ball is boring. The one-foul BIH has ruined the game and taken a lot of excitement out of it. Today, almost nobody will go for a really difficult shot if their chances for position are "iffy", because the penalty of hooking yourself is too great. If you hook yourself and miss, your opponent has BIH. In push-out, people would go for "wilder" shots because they knew if they made it and then happened to hook themselves, they could "push out" to a difficult shot for their opponent instead of giving them BIH. The opponent may pass the shot back, but it was better than trying to kick at an impossible hit and giving away the cue ball. It gave you more control of your destiny.

One of, if not THE biggest issue I have with 1 foul BIH is what is hi-lighted in red above. What it amounts to, for me, is this: someone plays bad shape, then takes an easy "duck" and their opponent is left with a nearly impossible 3 rail kick, goes for it, misses and gives up BIH, it means that person is being REWARDED for playing badly! Seriously? What is wrong with THAT picture?

Plus the fact that, as H.E. says, it's boring now. Not many people go for anything that might be described as "tough" when they can simply duck. And there's a lot more as well but these threads always seem to turn into contentious bi**h-fests and I don't really want to get into that. Suffice to say Roll-out was a great way to play 9ball ( and the ONLY way, actually, for close to 100 years ) and it's very sad it was sacrificed in an experiment that went terribly wrong. If the Jansco brothers could have seen the results of what they introduced 40 years down the road, I think they would've tried to come up with something else.

Last edited:

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We played you could push out as long as no foul had been committed on the previous shot. Any two fouls gave incoming player ball in hand anywhere. We played any two, I know in other parts of the country it had to be two fouls by the same player but never even saw it played that way, personally. Scratches were behind the head string so the spot shot was a must learn. All balls in the kitchen, closest one to the string was spotted on the foot spot. We played mostly races. Was NOT played in ring games.

Michael Andros

Silver Member
We played you could push out as long as no foul had been committed on the previous shot. Any two fouls gave incoming player ball in hand anywhere. We played any two, I know in other parts of the country it had to be two fouls by the same player but never even saw it played that way, personally. Scratches were behind the head string so the spot shot was a must learn. All balls in the kitchen, closest one to the string was spotted on the foot spot. We played mostly races. Was NOT played in ring games.

Rule varied slightly region to region. Ring games were ALWAYS "best effort".