Better equipment, shafts, Tips, and Kamui Chalk, but the 526 RUN RECORDS Stands?

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
I for one think that Mosconi's record can and some day will be broken. The main problem I see with the attempts being made today is the player starts with a break shot. That's an advantage Mosconi didn't have to start his run. That one fact alone would taint any new record for authenticity. Another problem is all the multiple attempts being made, one after another. Mosconi set his record as a continuation of a regular exhibition match. He would typically play one match a day on his exhibition tours, four or five days a week, for a month or more. He didn't get to try over and over each day to set a record. Almost exclusively, when he reached 150 points during an exhibition Mosconi would put his cue down. He had done his job, which was almost always the result of a 100+ ball run to end the match. And he did this every day!! In my mind, his most amazing feat is the thousands of times he ran 100+ balls. I'm sure he far surpasses whoever is second on this list.

I wonder what his record might be if he kept on shooting every day after he had reached 150, and was already on a long run. I had the good fortune to play an exhibition against the great Mosconi in 1968. He was probably well into his 50's then. Willie had a well rehearsed routine he would go through before starting the Straight Pool match. It consisted of maybe a dozen trick shots, most of which he made on the first try (he set each one up quickly and adroitly), some wing shots, a masse shot or two and a dialogue with the crowd about his personal history in Pool. If questioned about Fats, he would get agitated and dismiss him as an entertainer and imposter.

He won the lag, broke and deliberately left me a long cut shot on the corner ball. I missed badly and he ran 19 balls and left me with an open rack. I ran 3 and missed. He then proceeded to run a picture perfect 131 and out, never once getting seriously out of line. He easily could have run many more balls that day. We were playing on a GC1 with 5" pockets. It took a very good player to run 100 balls on that table. Willie did it on his second turn at the table and probably could have done it on his first inning as well.

I saw Joe Balsis, Cicero Murphy, Irving Crane, Jimmy Caras, Luther Lassiter, Steve Mizerak and Mike Sigel play in competition and none of them impressed me as much as Mosconi. His cue ball control was BETTER than Efren and his shot making was as good as an Orcullo or SVB. :yes:

And of course, the other problem is that when it gets broken it will likely be a top player practising on their favourite table or in their basement. We know from Charlie Ursitti that Willie has run more than 526 in private so it would be a bit goofy to give a modern player the high run record when we know that Willie and probably Cranfield have run more over 526 in practice. No run should be recognized as the record unless it is accomplished as a continuation of a match or at the DCC. Similarly, in snooker Jamie Cope has run a 155 in a practice match, but officially the highest break in competition is 148 by Jamie Burnett.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
And of course, the other problem is that when it gets broken it will likely be a top player practising on their favourite table or in their basement. ...
A lot of people believe that Babe Cranfield ran 768 on a 4.5x9 in his usual pool hall in Syracuse. I'm one of those people. The record is not for practice runs. The record is for announced exhibitions. John's attempt is announced and recorded.

terryhanna

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mr 400 update

Capture.PNG
Capture1.PNG

Michael Andros

tiny balls, GIANT pockets
Silver Member
A lot of people believe that Babe Cranfield ran 768 on a 4.5x9 in his usual pool hall in Syracuse. I'm one of those people. The record is not for practice runs. The record is for announced exhibitions. John's attempt is announced and recorded.

Bob - I've seen Cranfield's record many times in myriad places yet it gets little or no credit for ever having happened and/or, more importantly, for being the record run. By far far far ( 242 balls far ). In your opinion, why do *you* think that is?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Bob - I've seen Cranfield's record many times in myriad places yet it gets little or no credit for ever having happened and/or, more importantly, for being the record run. By far far far ( 242 balls far ). In your opinion, why do *you* think that is?
It wasn't an exhibition. It was just a fun run. Part of the story is that no one except the shooter saw the whole run. Mosconi may have run over 600 with Charlie Ursitti watching, but again, it was just a fun run.

There are stories of fun runs over 1000. I don't believe them.

The BCA seems to have stopped keeping records, so even if John does put up a 603, it's not clear that anyone official will sprinkle holy water on it. Or even J.T.S. Brown.

A friend of mine happened to be in Syracuse and watched Cranfield practice five nights in a row. Every night Cranfield ran over 200. Cranfield had the percentages and the time on the table to put up a very large run and I believe he did. For fun.

Los Gatos Taki

Registered
I agree that todays top players should play the same table set up that Mosconi played.
However, they should also use the same type of pool cues and equipment that Mosconi used when he did the run.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
I for one think that Mosconi's record can and some day will be broken. The main problem I see with the attempts being made today is the player starts with a break shot. That's an advantage Mosconi didn't have to start his run. That one fact alone would taint any new record for authenticity. Another problem is all the multiple attempts being made, one after another. Mosconi set his record as a continuation of a regular exhibition match. He would typically play one match a day on his exhibition tours, four or five days a week, for a month or more. He didn't get to try over and over each day to set a record. Almost exclusively, when he reached 150 points during an exhibition Mosconi would put his cue down. He had done his job, which was almost always the result of a 100+ ball run to end the match. And he did this every day!! In my mind, his most amazing feat is the thousands of times he ran 100+ balls. I'm sure he far surpasses whoever is second on this list.

:

Nice post Jay. But, what do you mean Mosoni didn't start with a break shot? How did he start his runs in exhibition ?

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Nice post Jay. But, what do you mean Mosoni didn't start with a break shot? How did he start his runs in exhibition ?

From Willie's Game, by Willie Mosconi and Stanley Cohen:

"I was playing a two-hundred-point match against an amateur by the name of Earl Bruney in the East High Billiard Club. He made three balls off the break, then I ran two hundred and just kept going."

Reactions: KRJ

Michael Andros

tiny balls, GIANT pockets
Silver Member
It wasn't an exhibition. It was just a fun run. Part of the story is that no one except the shooter saw the whole run. Mosconi may have run over 600 with Charlie Ursitti watching, but again, it was just a fun run.

There are stories of fun runs over 1000. I don't believe them.

The BCA seems to have stopped keeping records, so even if John does put up a 603, it's not clear that anyone official will sprinkle holy water on it. Or even J.T.S. Brown.

A friend of mine happened to be in Syracuse and watched Cranfield practice five nights in a row. Every night Cranfield ran over 200. Cranfield had the percentages and the time on the table to put up a very large run and I believe he did. For fun.

Running 700+ balls certainly qualifies as "fun" in *my* book! :grin:

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Willie always had an opponent...he started with whatever shot the guy left him.

OH, good to know. I was not even thinking he was playing anyone, just doing a "solo" exhibition. Did he just play a local at all the exhibitions ?

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
OH, good to know. I was not even thinking he was playing anyone, just doing a "solo" exhibition. Did he just play a local at all the exhibitions ?
Willie nearly always played some local person who was there to hold a stick. Willie was not shy, according to lots of reports, about letting the stick holder know who the people came to watch in case the stick holder got a little frisky.;)

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree that todays top players should play the same table set up that Mosconi played.
However, they should also use the same type of pool cues and equipment that Mosconi used when he did the run.

I agree, but there will always be somebody who disputes something.

He didn't have the same taper on his shaft, his cue was heavier/lighter, the chalk was different, he played with better lighting conditions, he was taller, he was shorter, he was slimmer, he was fatter, he didn't eat the same thing Willie ate that day, the pool room was cooler/hotter, the crowd was too loud/quiet, etc., etc., etc.

I think Willie's record will NEVER be broken because nobody can, or will, ever duplicate all the conditions.

Global warming will prevent it. :) The barometric pressure isn't the same or the core of the Earth is warmer. Or Willie thought the Earth was round and the guy trying to break the record may think the Earth is flat. :)

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I agree, but there will always be somebody who disputes something.

He didn't have the same taper on his shaft, his cue was heavier/lighter, the chalk was different, he played with better lighting conditions, he was taller, he was shorter, he was slimmer, he was fatter, he didn't eat the same thing Willie ate that day, the pool room was cooler/hotter, the crowd was too loud/quiet, etc., etc., etc.

I think Willie's record will NEVER be broken because nobody can, or will, ever duplicate all the conditions.

Global warming will prevent it. :) The barometric pressure isn't the same or the core of the Earth is warmer. Or Willie thought the Earth was round and the guy trying to break the record may think the Earth is flat. :)
Don't forget there was probably no airconditioning....9 out of 10 rooms had none then.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

Willie nearly always played some local person who was there to hold a stick. Willie was not shy, according to lots of reports, about letting the stick holder know who the people came to watch in case the stick holder got a little frisky.;)

Willie could get upset if upstaged...
...a young Danny Diliberto was in the high 70s and Willie had the room owner inform
Danny that they weren't there to watch him....and Danny had to give up the table.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don't forget there was probably no airconditioning....9 out of 10 rooms had none then.

That is why I always had my cues made at 21 ounces and 14mm shafts. So I could knock the hell out of the cue ball on SLOW cloth and rails under those conditions.

Most of the bars and pool halls were like saunas way back then.